• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]

Not to bump the thread by 36 Brigade currently has a part time winter Infantry DP1 Mod 2 running.

Not sure how the results will be but they are currently having some dedicated weekends along with some weekends when they tag along with the unit to complete necessary training. I believe they are making use of some of the longer holiday weekends for the longer field portions of the course.

Not sure how applicable this is to Combat Arms, but I know 33 CBG Battle School has run winter BMQ-L (formerly SQ) courses on the weekend in the past. That said, I'm unsure if they're running one this year.

NSRecruit said:
Not to bump the thread by 36 Brigade currently has a part time winter Infantry DP1 Mod 2 running.

Not sure how the results will be but they are currently having some dedicated weekends along with some weekends when they tag along with the unit to complete necessary training. I believe they are making use of some of the longer holiday weekends for the longer field portions of the course.

Do they have the proper equipment, like mukluks, to run the outdoor portions?

recceguy said:
Do they have the proper equipment, like mukluks, to run the outdoor portions?
Yes, as all members are part of the unit they are just ensuring winter kit issue.

Fun story to expand is that apparently the course as running wasn't division approved or somewhat, getting this second hand, and the division complained because it was running at a unit level and told them to stop. For whatever reason though the course is still running at this time until money runs out as of last I heard.

NSRecruit said:
Yes, as all members are part of the unit they are just ensuring winter kit issue.

Fun story to expand is that apparently the course as running wasn't division approved or somewhat, getting this second hand, and the division complained because it was running at a unit level and told them to stop. For whatever reason though the course is still running at this time until money runs out as of last I heard.

Where did the Unit get the mukluks and snowshoes?

Unaware of if there are enough snowshoes as us trained guys haven't had them issued yet. But I would think yes as most are signed up for the upcoming BWW.

As for mukluks I'm imagining those came from the RQ otherwise I do not know.

For the past years 32 CBG Battleschool has only run DP1 during the summer at 4Div TC Meaford. Mod 1 (of 2) can be available on a parttime basis but it is run as a high school co-op. You will be waiting till the summer.
To satisfy any curiosity you will not be moved to any CBG for the purpose of doing a DP1 in the winter if there are ones available, and you will not be randomely thrown onto a co-op to complete the mod 1.

I know being in the infantry opens doors to a huge amount of courses you can take, my question is what courses can a infantry reservist take? Are they able to take all the same courses as the reg force infantry soldiers or are they only able to take certain courses as they become available?
Also, i was talking to someone that just got through basic training and they said "Have fun with fire picket" Wouldn't tell me what it was just that it sucked, Can anyone tell me what fire picket is?

Welcome to Army.ca

Before posting any more questions that have been asked and answered before (sometimes many times), please spend some time reading through pertinent older threads and using the Search Function.

Should you manage to come up with a unique question after doing a little homework on your own, we will be happy to help.

Locked.

I had a question, which I am unable to find through the forums. I found similar ones in regards to failure rates. However I want to know about failing your Dp1 course.

So, what is the most likely conclusion if you fail your Dp1? I know that you may get recoursed. But what if you fail that too? Would you be deemed unfit for the trade and released from the forces or would you get Occupationwl transfer?

Also, if one were to fail, what would be a good reason to fail someone, even if that did good on there tests such as PWT 3? For example. Could they fail you if you couldn't run that ten kilometres for PT but you tried even though you could do that 13km ruck march?

How does this work?

Thank you

P.S. I am done BMQ already

Depending on your unit you could
-be given a 3rd chance
-possibly released
-offered a transfer to a trade that may be more suitable to you (but your unit would need to employ those trades and have space open)

If you've already done your BMQ then you've been explained the reasons why you would fail; failing to meet the standard. 
Running 10KMs isn't a a pass/fail test for graduating DP1 however if you're an ass about falling out then you could be written up for a bad attitude and that can start you on the path out the door.

You'll discover some people want to quit but they're afraid to. Instead they injure themselves on purpose, try to fake an injury or try and fail themselves on purpose to let the army do the dirty work and kick them out.  It's easier just to quit. Not saying that's you, just speaking in general.

mariomike said:
For future reference, perhaps this will be merged with a similar discussion you started,

Infantry course

Perhaps. 

Perhaps mikegj6 has legitimate problems.  :dunno:

Jarnhamar said:
-offered a transfer to a trade that may be more suitable to you (but your unit would need to employ those trades and have space open)

If you've already done your BMQ then you've been explained the reasons why you would fail; failing to meet the standard. 

As mikegf6 is a RESERVIST, the option to change to another Trade MAY NOT be an option at all.  Release as a Training Failure may be the only option open after failing a course 'three times'.

George Wallace said:
As mikegf6 is a RESERVIST, the option to change to another Trade MAY NOT be an option at all. 

Which is why I said

but your unit would need to employ those trades and have space open

Have you been to your doctor?

You seem more worried about running rather than passing the content in the course.

Even if you aren't in shape, you have at least 3 months until the next dp 1 starts.

Time to get running.

Tons of plans here is a couch -> 5k. No idea where you are. I'd hope that you can already run 5k but if not here you go.

Thank you for the replies, some good info here.
George Wallace said:
As mikegf6 is a RESERVIST, the option to change to another Trade MAY NOT be an option at all.  Release as a Training Failure may be the only option open after failing a course 'three times'.

Would I be able to do a component or occupational transfer before course, if I give a good reason due to the fact that in combat trades you have to wait 36 months?

Jarnhamar said:
Depending on your unit you could
-be given a 3rd chance
-possibly released

Running 10KMs isn't a a pass/fail test for graduating DP1 however if you're an *** about falling out then you could be written up for a bad attitude and that can start you on the path out the door.

You'll discover some people want to quit but they're afraid to. Instead they injure themselves on purpose, try to fake an injury or try and fail themselves on purpose to let the army do the dirty work and kick them out.  It's easier just to quit. Not saying that's you, just speaking in general.

I'm not looking to fake any injuries but I am flat footed and that is the main reason for issues with running. I told the medical officer at my medical exam about my flat feet and the issues with my knees and I guess I was still fit for the trade..... I want to run 10k for practice but might feet are holding me back, I've seen my doctor and he said to relax from PT for 4 weeks  :boring:

mikegf6 said:
Thank you for the replies, some good info here.
Would I be able to do a component or occupational transfer before course, if I give a good reason due to the fact that in combat trades you have to wait 36 months?

I'm not looking to fake any injuries but I am flat footed and that is the main reason for issues with running. I told the medical officer at my medical exam about my flat feet and the issues with my knees and I guess I was still fit for the trade..... I want to run 10k for practice but might feet are holding me back, I've seen my doctor and he said to relax from PT for 4 weeks  :boring:

Get insoles/orthotics made for your shoes/boots it should help.

NFLD Sapper said:
Get insoles/orthotics made for your shoes/boots it should help.

Sadly, I already got those right before bmq, $490 and they are done within a year or so... I might need better orthotics but these ones are prescribed and custom to my feet so I don't know how I can get better ones.

Basically I am not going to wimp out of running a 5k or 10k but I might feel a bit of pain and all I am going to do and will do is try my best on course, and hopefully the instructors see that. I just don't want to take the easy route of getting a chit for PT. only as a last resort.

Although, is it true that if you build up a lot of chits on course you will be re-coursed?

Gunshark said:
$490 for a pair of insoles?..

Correct, my parents have benefits however they can only cover so much within a certain time period.

It's that much when you go to see the foot doctor. Maybe it's more expensive depending on the severity of your flat feet.

Mine must be bad :-[

Back