• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]

The last information from the school on this was that MODs were no more, although it's possible there are exceptions, your OPs O should reach out to the school for the latest info. From what I understand very few people ever successfully completed the course in modules and it certainly was administratively difficult on the school.

Part of the problem was that some candidates were attempting to use the MODs to "game" the system and eke out a pass MOD to MOD or fly under the radar as an MIR commando. By the time staff got to know these types the MOD was over and they often slipped through until the next summer when new staff were teaching. These losers ruined it for candidates who genuinely needed to use MODs, but fortunately most of them didn't make it through the whole course anyway... this course is not for the faint of heart even in MODs and facing the prospect of 3 summers in a row mostly weeded out the weak.

However as one of the few people who actually did do this course in mods I can tell you it is not ideal for the candidate either. If they do bring back the mod system a few considerations...

The significant leadership challenges inherent in this course are compounded by the module system, and teamwork being absolutely critical to success on on assessments; winning the trust of course-mates who initially see you as an outsider is essential but not a given. The only way to do that is to establish credibility quickly by showing up as physically fit and as professionally competent as possible, humility goes a long way too.

Skill fade between mods is also a major issue that you need to address at your home unit, even if you were a stud on course last summer, unless you work your ass off until the next MOD you will not be where you need to be a year later.

Ideally you are on OJT as a platoon commander at your home unit and being mentored by an interested Coy Commander and experienced Pl 2IC (I was incredibly lucky to have both), but alternatively the Inf School also has in the past offered a resident pre-course prep package (EPT/RPT) to ensure that candidates are ready, do it if you can.

In short even if the school allows you to do MODs I would do everything you can to get the time off and just get it done. Use vacation combined with Mil leave, take a leave of absence etc. Languishing for years as an OJT 2Lt is not something I would recommend to anyone. You will be far happier with your career if you are able to take advantage of opportunities as they come up rather than live in partially trained limbo.

No matter how you do it this course is worth doing, certainly one of the most challenging courses the "regular" (non CANSOF) army has to offer, and an accomplishment to be proud of once complete.

Best of Luck!

The last information from the school on this was that MODs were no more, although it's possible there are exceptions, your OPs O should reach out to the school for the latest info. From what I understand very few people ever successfully completed the course in modules and it certainly was administratively difficult on the school.

Part of the problem was that some candidates were attempting to use the MODs to "game" the system and eke out a pass MOD to MOD or fly under the radar as an MIR commando. By the time staff got to know these types the MOD was over and they often slipped through until the next summer when new staff were teaching. These losers ruined it for candidates who genuinely needed to use MODs, but fortunately most of them didn't make it through the whole course anyway... this course is not for the faint of heart even in MODs and facing the prospect of 3 summers in a row mostly weeded out the weak.

However as one of the few people who actually did do this course in mods I can tell you it is not ideal for the candidate either. If they do bring back the mod system a few considerations...

The significant leadership challenges inherent in this course are compounded by the module system, and teamwork being absolutely critical to success on on assessments; winning the trust of course-mates who initially see you as an outsider is essential but not a given. The only way to do that is to establish credibility quickly by showing up as physically fit and as professionally competent as possible, humility goes a long way too.

Skill fade between mods is also a major issue that you need to address at your home unit, even if you were a stud on course last summer, unless you work your ass off until the next MOD you will not be where you need to be a year later.

Ideally you are on OJT as a platoon commander at your home unit and being mentored by an interested Coy Commander and experienced Pl 2IC (I was incredibly lucky to have both), but alternatively the Inf School also has in the past offered a resident pre-course prep package (EPT/RPT) to ensure that candidates are ready, do it if you can.

In short even if the school allows you to do MODs I would do everything you can to get the time off and just get it done. Use vacation combined with Mil leave, take a leave of absence etc. Languishing for years as an OJT 2Lt is not something I would recommend to anyone. You will be far happier with your career if you are able to take advantage of opportunities as they come up rather than live in partially trained limbo.

No matter how you do it this course is worth doing, certainly one of the most challenging courses the "regular" (non CANSOF) army has to offer, and an accomplishment to be proud of once complete.

Best of Luck!

Good advice.

Go hard for the first couple of years and get qualified! There are few things in this world so sad as a 10 year OCdt, or a 15 year 2Lt.

Unless it's a 30 year Major, of course ;)

Best of Luck!
Hey Loch Sloy!,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed response. And I can definitely see the logic of the negatives of the MOD system with the School (skill fade, lack of team cohesion, fitness level, etc). You're right, no one wants to be a 10-15 year OCdt/2nd Lt, and the purpose of going back to the PRes Commissioned is to learn those leadership skills properly.

I will have to confirm some details on the PLAR, gut check, and address the length of training with work/family.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for getting back to me Infanteer. My correction on the DP 1.2.

A previous post mentioned IODP 1.1 (Dismounted Platoon Commander Course) in Gagetown. Referencing the PRes Career Progression Chart uploaded in 2015/2016, shows just DP1.1 and assuming they are the same, Mods and time frames are:

DP1.1 (65 Days)
Mod 1 (20 Days)
Mod 2 (22 Days)
Mod 3 (23 Days)

I'm wondering whether IODP 1.1 is still currently broken down into the three Mods, and whether it's mandatory they be completed within the same year or can be spread out.

Reason I'm asking is to plan for the pushback from my employer, due to the roughly three months time off from a full time job.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Cheers.
Hey, I shot you a pm. I may be able to give you a steer on some of this.

Back