• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]

I'm sure the PM already sent to you by the above member answers your questions.

But, don't be surprised if this happens to you at various times throughout your CF career.

I can remember many times when I was loaded onto a course, only to have the course cancelled almost last minute.  And vice versa, there were times a course would have a few open slots at the last minute, and people would get thrown onto them without much prep time.

It happens.  Don't sweat it.  I know it can be frustrating if they are career required courses, but it happens sometimes.

Usually a good chain of command will flesh you out with some other courses in the meantime, so your career isn't totally stagnant.  (For example, when some of our junior members were waiting on career courses, we would load them onto a driver wheeled course, or get them started on their PLQ modules, so they could still be working on building their careers while they waited for DP1.)

CBH99 said:
I'm sure the PM already sent to you by the above member answers your questions.

But, don't be surprised if this happens to you at various times throughout your CF career.

I can remember many times when I was loaded onto a course, only to have the course cancelled almost last minute.  And vice versa, there were times a course would have a few open slots at the last minute, and people would get thrown onto them without much prep time.

It happens.  Don't sweat it.  I know it can be frustrating if they are career required courses, but it happens sometimes.

Usually a good chain of command will flesh you out with some other courses in the meantime, so your career isn't totally stagnant.  (For example, when some of our junior members were waiting on career courses, we would load them onto a driver wheeled course, or get them started on their PLQ modules, so they could still be working on building their careers while they waited for DP1.)

I call bullshit on this part.... IIRC you must be at least trades qualified to start PLQ....

NFLD Sapper said:
I call bullshit on this part.... IIRC you must be at least trades qualified to start PLQ....

I'd have to agree, although maybe counter-intuitively you can do Mods 1-5 (excluding Mod 6) prior to trade qualification, but I doubt it.

For that matter, why would you be able to do any other career course before you are even qualified in said career? Many people can fail and release or move to another occupation where a course like drivers wheel wouldn't be applicable.

mikegf6 said:
Hoping to know a few things, if it's this common to find out a course the day before it starts and if there are no spots available? For example what if I could only go for the April course and not the June, wouldn't that mean I couldn't get fully dp1 qualified for another year?

It happens, I got loaded on my basic they day before. However it was a just a weekend course so to me it didn't really matter when it started. I started my DVR WHL with fairly little notice as well but again another weekend course.

As a no hook pte I was under the impression that I was going on a DVR WHL directly after my SQ and found out 3 days before the course started that I was going home for the summer. Though I would say that was more of a misunderstanding.

Spots do open up here or there and to me this seems like one of those cases.

I do feel your pain with the uncertainty of whether or not you are one a 2 month long career course. That was my biggest gripe as university student. Thank god I had a accommodating employer. "Uh yeah so I'm leaving in a week for my DP 1.0"..

Thanks for all information. As it seems, and what I didn't get (probably because I have only been in the army close to a year now) is that these things are common in the army. All I can really do is do what my CoC said and wait till Sunday night if they message or call me. Another suggested to hold off to tell my employer that I can work till Wednesday just in case, cause they can call you up and ask where you are.

mikegf6 said:
Thanks for all information. As it seems, and what I didn't get (probably because I have only been in the army close to a year now) is that these things are common in the army. All I can really do is do what my CoC said and wait till Sunday night if they message or call me. Another suggested to hold off to tell my employer that I can work till Wednesday just in case, cause they can call you up and ask where you are.

Personally though, I think that the course loading system seems to be working much better than when I went through the training system. Who knows. Other than my DP 1 it didn't really matter to me when the courses started and the DP 1 candidates have been getting there dates much further in advance than we did.

Re:

Where do you work? (Industry).

It is a call you need to make, you might miss out on 3 days of pay. You might freak out your employer over nothing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

MITE is strange when it comes to picking people at times.... CTC has moved/is moving to loading pers on courses through CFTPO now...

runormal said:
Personally though, I think that the course loading system seems to be working much better than when I went through the training system. Who knows. Other than my DP 1 it didn't really matter to me when the courses started and the DP 1 candidates have been getting there dates much further in advance than we did.

Re:

Where do you work? (Industry).

It is a call you need to make, you might miss out on 3 days of pay. You might freak out your employer over nothing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Nope luckily I am not in industry, I am still a student, well I just crammed all my tests in this week for college because I was preparing for the April course, but I mean I feel bad for the other guys in our company because they do work in industry and have full time jobs. If we were to get loaded for Monday, I'm pretty sure by the looks of it and how they reacted, I'm the only one good to go, heck I could even go tonight if they really wanted me to. Then again too, it's a co-op serial.

But I agree, it's frustrating how they load people on course cause I have been a cornflake for Almaty a year now, and I need that hook.

NFLD_Sapper,

I might be wrong about the PLQ.  But I believe we would get some of our junior members started on the mods - even if it doesn't make much sense.

We did sent people on their driver wheeled course however, at any point once they were done their BMQ.  (It was called QL2 back when I first joined, millennium ago).  I'm also talking about a very small reserve unit.

The overall point is that even if you had to wait for your trades qualification, the chain of command would do its best to find something else for you to do that would help you build your career.  Can't get trades qualified right now?  Get driver qualified.  Something to make the member more useful.

Buddy it's fitness, not rocketscience

Just get in better cardio shape. It is as simple as that.

Ruckmarches do not take a high level of fitness to complete, there is a reason the LBM (BFT) is a minamum fitness standard...think of how disgustingly low the CAF fitness standard is right now and how many out of shape people you see in the infantry. For rucks you just need to start getting used to wearing boots with heavy weight.

As for running, as mentioned before it will be based off your course staff. I have never in my career seen a PT template in which I was forced to follow while teaching on a course. Some staff like running, some like rucking, some are lazy.

Just improve your cardio fitness...thats it.

On a DP1 Infantry Res course you will not be failed for fitness. Good luck to the staff trying to justify that.

you may be given a hard time, you may be in a little pain, but they won't fail you because you can't run as good as the dude who is taking you for a run.

Poacher434 said:
Ruckmarches do not take a high level of fitness to complete,

I take issue with that. If you are referring to only the LBM alright, fair enough, however I have been on some rucks that have definitely tested not only my fitness, but the fitness of the whole platoon.

Poacher434 said:
Just improve your cardio fitness...thats it.

On a DP1 Infantry Res course you will not be failed for fitness. Good luck to the staff trying to justify that.

you may be given a hard time, you may be in a little pain, but they won't fail you because you can't run as good as the dude who is taking you for a run.

No during PT, but if due to your lack of fitness you can't keep up during advance to contact, recce/fighting patrols then you could fail.

Flavus101 said:
I take issue with that. If you are referring to only the LBM alright, fair enough, however I have been on some rucks that have definitely tested not only my fitness, but the fitness of the whole platoon.

Then take issue with it?  Unless you were getting bumped and having to fight thru positions or something, reconsolidate and then carry on the ruck march...it is just that, a ruck march.

Before you go on, no, I don't really want to hear about your 2.5 years of experience in the Mau at this point.  Thanks.

Eye In The Sky said:
Then take issue with it?  Unless you were getting bumped and having to fight thru positions or something, reconsolidate and then carry on the ruck march...it is just that, a ruck march.

Before you go on, no, I don't really want to hear about your 2.5 years of experience in the Mau at this point.  Thanks.

I believe the factor that had the most impact on those rucks were the terrain. I was simply trying to point out that not all rucks will be your standard let's walk for 13km on hard pack and call 'er a day.

As far as the tone for the bit in yellow I'm just going to assume you've had a rough day and are looking to take it out on some poor Mo'litia sap. I wish you the nicest of evenings.

I think the intent of this thread has gone astray.

To conclude; work on your personal fitness level, get used to wearing boots and a pack and Dp1 should be a good educational course.

You most likely (I cannot guarentee it) won't fail for a lack of fitness during PT sessions.

However the aforementioned fitness in regards to advance to contact, etc may MAY have an issue. Staff are generally aware that not all recruits are fitness gurus on their basic course.

Just keep exercising regularily like a good soldier and start to educate yourself between the difference of hurt due to fatigue and hurt due to injury.

Pretty much all that needs to be said

mikegf6 said:
Hey,

I wanted to know how DP1 Infantry Primary reserve, is like?Again sorry if this may be a repeated post, but could not find the answer i was looking for!

Did my  infantry DP1 in summer 2008. Morning PT consisted of either ruck marches, FFO marches, runs (about 5k, think the longest we ran was like 7k) or circuit training. During the day, we had to run on the camp all the time except when we were doing drill to go to the mess hall. We had to do chin-ups and push-ups between each class and each pauses. SQ and DP1 consisted mostly of weapon handling classes, handling practices, ranges, field training and a bunch of powerpoints.

If you start getting in shape today there is no way you can fail the course and the last thing you want to be on an infantry course is to be the most out of shape guy of your course.

Does anyone know the itinerary/schedule for the Mod 2 portion of DP1 Infantry for Reserve?

Just a guess, but I would expect the following

Garrison
Wake up at a time that feels way to early
PT
Shower/breakfast
Inspection
Training for the day
Personal time/station jobs/work on kit
Lights out at 2300

Field - Wake up when its your turn for sentry, patrol, etc. Sleep when you can. Conduct offensive and defensive ops - fighting patrols, recce patrols, digging trenches, standing in trenches, stand to(first/last light, and on contact), possibly a "gas" attack, etc. I don't believe PRes DP1 covers Urban Ops.

Hanley613 said:
Does anyone know the itinerary/schedule for the Mod 2 portion of DP1 Infantry for Reserve?

For reference, perhaps "Res DP1 INF MOD 2" will be merged with "DP1 Infantry Reserve April 2016".
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122586.0

Back