• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

They need to consider a type of emergency management agency specifically mandated for domestic emergency response — still deployable, but more of a robust Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) with emphasis on Canada and our changing climate and extreme weather systems. An expanded Rangers and Junior Rangers program for south of 60 in some urban centres would provide enormous benefits for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Canadians.

Would the Field Ambulances of the CFHS be a suitable central organizing principle for a local DART?

Primary Reserve units / Unités de la Première réserve

• CF Health Services Primary Reserve List, Ottawa​

• 11/12 Field Ambulance, Victoria, Vancouver​

• 15 Field Ambulance, Edmonton, Calgary​

• 16 Field Ambulance, Regina​

• 17 Field Ambulance, Winnipeg​

• 18 Field Ambulance, Thunder Bay​

• 23 Field Ambulance, Hamilton, London, Windsor​

• 25 Field Ambulance, Toronto​

• 28 Field Ambulance, Ottawa​

• 33 Field Ambulance, Halifax​

• 35 Field Ambulance, Sydney, St. John’s, Saint John​

• 51e Ambulance de campagne, Montréal​

• 52e Ambulance de campagne, Sherbrooke​

• 55e Ambulance de campagne, Ville de Québec​

I’m not even sure there really is a process for a sup reserve member to volunteer. I have never seen it or heard of it.

Boilerplate found in reserve employment opportunity notices.

. . . Only personnel from the following Component/Sub-Component may apply for this position: Cadet Org and Trg Service, Primary Reserve Force, Supplementary Reserve Force, Regular Force.
. . .
Members of the Supp Res if eligible who wish to apply for this position may do so through SUPP RES STAFF at toll free number: 1-866-558-3566, Fax number: 1-613-992-1324, Email: DND.SuppRes - ResSupp.MDN@forces.gc.ca.

I have heard of and met in various deployed theatres members of the US Army Individual Ready Reserve which is sort of similar to the Sup Reserve.

While some IRRs have counterparts in the Supp Res, it may be more like the Standby Reserve and/or Retired Reserve in the US military.

As I indicated before we already have a ResF sub-component that could be used to fill the bill. The Canadian Rangers. There's nothing that says they have to be in the Arctic or on a coast, and many aren't. You can easily create several types of units there from coast watchers to home guard to civil response. It comes with a pretty flexible training regime and an existing command structure.

🍻
I wonder if there would be any political pushback from the Canadian Rangers if they were to expand to more populous areas in the South? The much larger recruiting pool could potentially end up seeing the Southern units/members outnumbering the original Northern units/members and internally change the character and focus of the Rangers.

:unsure:

Reactions: ueo
I wonder if there would be any political pushback from the Canadian Rangers if they were to expand to more populous areas in the South? The much larger recruiting pool could potentially end up seeing the Southern units/members outnumbering the original Northern units/members and internally change the character and focus of the Rangers.

:unsure:
Could be. There's always friction to change. As it is there are already Ranger patrols in locations on the coasts that are not "Arctic" and there are ones throughout the provinces that are "northern" but not high north like the ones in the territories.

I would think that the largest danger to expanding the program in a big way to the south is that some bright idea fairy would then recast the whole program into one that has more demands and "standards" that would be counterproductive to what is already in place.

The whole intent would be to create a much larger group than already exists. Increasing the numbers by and of itself shouldn't be a challenge to the existing program. Redesigning the program in a negative way clearly could and its not beyond the realm of possibility that this could happen.

I see an expanded Ranger program something along the way of the old shooting associations in the early days of Canada who were supported by the military in order to foster a military spirit and marksmanship useful to the the army of the day. Ours could include that as well as an organizational structure and secondary civil assistance focus and more all aimed at creating a seed corn to both RegF and ResF recruiting and a potential manpower source.

🍻

There are approximately 5,000 Canadian Rangers organized in five Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups (CRPG) with 197 Canadian Ranger (CR) Patrols. They located north and south of 60. The CRPG all have regional variations, but they also have things in common. Generated by the Canadian Army, their role is to provide a CAF presence, a local operational capability and support to community resiliency in sparsely settled, remote, northern, coastal and isolated areas which cannot be expeditiously supported by other elements of the CAF.

The CRs provide an outstanding capability answering real requirements that are based on the Canadian situation. CAF units operating in the north, for example, benefit tremendously from CR support - we (CA units on the land) won't conduct operations up there without them due to their knowledge of the area.

I am not sure what the operational purpose of a Toronto-based Canadian Ranger Patrol would be? We have ARes units pretty much throughout the south. We already have Arctic Response Company Groups (ARCG) and Territorial Battle Groups (TBGs) drawn from the Army Reserves that can contribute to the requests for assistance from provincial/territorial authorities.

I am not sure what the operational purpose of a Toronto-based Canadian Ranger Patrol would be? We have ARes units pretty much throughout the south. We already have Arctic Response Company Groups (ARCG) and Territorial Battle Groups (TBGs) drawn from the Army Reserves that can contribute to the requests for assistance from provincial/territorial authorities.
We're riffing off @Kirkhill's concept of a home guard organization. One that does not have the stringent requirements of a RegF or even ResF which can be easily managed in smaller rural areas as well as big cities and which, like the cadet organization, can develop an interest in the military which helps grow the recruit base. Secondly it provides a pool of additional people to call on when the need is for organized manpower, such as flood fighting, searches for lost children, security guards etc, but not for the more advanced war fighting military skills.

I find it somewhat incongruous that we have Territorial Battle Groups oriented towards domestic response operations and have found it fit to include the term "battle" in the name. Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of domestic response companies is good. The manpower pool for such organizations, however, could be expanded by use of a mix of ARes for such roles as leaders, drivers, communicators etc and to fill the rank and file from a larger pool of "Rangers" who receive only limited military training but some fundamental training in disaster operations and who have a very limited training/parading requirements (and - bottom line - are faster/easier to recruit and administer, cheap to train, and cheap to maintain on an annual basis.)

In sum, a tiered layer of capabilities, running from plentiful and cheap manpower to a highly skilled and expensive core.

🍻

We're riffing off @Kirkhill's concept of a home guard organization. One that does not have the stringent requirements of a RegF or even ResF which can be easily managed in smaller rural areas as well as big cities and which, like the cadet organization, can develop an interest in the military which helps grow the recruit base. Secondly it provides a pool of additional people to call on when the need is for organized manpower, such as flood fighting, searches for lost children, security guards etc, but not for the more advanced war fighting military skills.

I find it somewhat incongruous that we have Territorial Battle Groups oriented towards domestic response operations and have found it fit to include the term "battle" in the name. Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of domestic response companies is good. The manpower pool for such organizations, however, could be expanded by use of a mix of ARes for such roles as leaders, drivers, communicators etc and to fill the rank and file from a larger pool of "Rangers" who receive only limited military training but some fundamental training in disaster operations and who have a very limited training/parading requirements (and - bottom line - are faster/easier to recruit and administer, cheap to train, and cheap to maintain on an annual basis.)

In sum, a tiered layer of capabilities, running from plentiful and cheap manpower to a highly skilled and expensive core.

🍻
I was trying to think of agencies that exist already, outside of the CAF, that would be potential "pools":
- Search and Rescue Volunteer teams (and already receive tax breaks for participation)
-Volunteer Fire Departments (and receive tax breaks for participation)
-Auxiliary RCMP members
- RCMP/OPP/RNC/Surete de Quebec? (my french is really bad)
-DFO
- Transportation Canada
-Many provinces have an Emergency Management Department
- CANTASK Force 1/2/3/4
- CIFFC and provincial wildfire response agencies

It's relatively simple to train people in the basics of ICS. What is difficult is to make them proficient in applying the skill sets and have enough experience in the function operating to be effective in case of an emergency. This is the difference between a raw private to Corporal to Warrant Officer...takes time to develop all levels of the organization.

Instead what I think you're proposing is something more like Fire and Emergency New Zealand or RFS/CFA Australia where VOLUNTEERS provide the bulk of response and train according to a set of common standards. The bigger issue is that these folks all have job security provisions, dedicating funding pools for training, dedicated infrastructure in terms of stations/engines/support and the bulk of the staff involved are only involved with operations....admin and support are full time funded positions. These positions may be paid or rotated between a group of retirees "job sharing" the work but crews worry about deploying and training...not paperwork to the same extent as HQ staff do.

However when I look at these organizations...which are full of great and motivated people....I also don't lose sight of how there is a common core set of support needed to keep them functioning and allow those who are only able to mobilize part time to be focused upon a core task. Switch names and you could call this the Canadian reserves within the CAF as I understand things looking outside in.

The other key part is that this assumes there is a national standard for training (there's not), fitness (again varies), and equipment....again I'll let you pick which organization you think of here - CAF or alternative agency. Even the USA who has the closest thing to a "national standard" has only in the last few months aligned the USFS and FEMA organizations to recognize what training each organization does and that's been decades in the works....and doesn't get into state or municipal standards.

Lastly the other challenge is that in the smaller communities the pool of people to recruit is that much smaller. I've lost track of the number of times I've been introduced to a First Nation elder who had limited English, could barely read or write....but could name every community member, their potential, who was worthy of investing time into, and critically how to deal with the local topography/terrain/features. . That local liaison is critical in so many communities but you're not going to get dozens of people...you're going to pairs/fireteams/sections and best case a platoon's worth of bodies and there may not be a replacement. So it's not going to be a large scale labour force but instead a small set of localized knowledge to guide the imported resources coming from larger centers and unfortunately often that local leader is also dealing with alternate priorities beyond your agency (local medicine person, Chief, MLA etc...).

🍻
My bad - it is indeed Territorial Battalion Group - must have been a Freudian slip when I was typing.

In any case, I don't think that adding untrained volunteers in uniform to TBGs is not a great idea. The Canadian Rangers bring skills and knowledge of moving and surviving in their areas. I don't see the same need in Toronto that would not be filled by the provincial/municipal emergency operations. If Canada were in a different situation then perhaps a Home Guard would make sense. But we are not in that situation.

My bad - it is indeed Territorial Battalion Group - must have been a Freudian slip when I was typing.
Actually - not so much.

Before I jumped in with my tongue-in-cheek snarky comment on that I did a quick search on Google for "Territorial Battle Group" and found numerous references to the term running from news articles on "Territorial Battle Group 1" doing work during Covid to people who describe themselves on LinkedIn as COs of one and mention of them on both the 48 Highlanders and RMR websites. The term seems to have a life of its own.

In any case, I don't think that adding untrained volunteers in uniform to TBGs is not a great idea. The Canadian Rangers bring skills and knowledge of moving and surviving in their areas. I don't see the same need in Toronto that would not be filled by the provincial/municipal emergency operations. If Canada were in a different situation then perhaps a Home Guard would make sense. But we are not in that situation.
Understood. Maybe @Kirkhill finally brought me to the Dark Side. This isn't a hill I'd die on.

🍻

Perhaps, rather than messing up the Rangers per se we could leave them alone and build on the "civic" regiments that exist.

Let the Honoraries start working for a living and make them responsible for organizing their for finding volunteers for their Regiments that can then be split into Volunteers and Reserves. The Regiment is tasked with maintaining a body of Volunteers engaged on the same terms as the Rangers as well as a properly turned out Reserve sub-unit that is tasked to a fighting organization. Separate the 186 or Regiments from the Territorial Brigades.

The "civic" regiments can do all the pipe bands and balmoral stuff. The Reserve subunits are kitted out in bog standard CF issue and given numbered identities. They can keep their "civic" affiliation as a nickname.

Last edited:

YMMV, but I just looked this up and it reads like a work of fiction compared to how I recall things actually getting done. This usually revolved around a 'lead major unit', Class A bods in a Combat Arms regiment, taking responsibility for leading everything for a multi-unit training activity, IIRC as a smoke screen to cover the incompetence of the (full time, Class B) CBG HQ staff who, call me crazy, should have been responsible for the planning and execution of brigade trainings events, led by the (bobbing and weaving) Bde Comd. Regardless, it's not a formally established, permanaent org structure so probably shouldn't be relied upon to lead much other than short term training activities:

"Domestically, the Army Reserve trains through Territorial Battalion Groups (TBG), Domestic Response Companies (DRC) and Arctic Response Company Groups (ARCG). These capabilities represent the force employment framework through which the Army Reserve will leverage existing unit structures and capacities to conduct domestic operations as directed."

I was trying to think of agencies that exist already, outside of the CAF, that would be potential "pools":
. . .
Instead what I think you're proposing is something more like Fire and Emergency New Zealand or RFS/CFA Australia where VOLUNTEERS provide the bulk of response and train according to a set of common standards. The bigger issue is that these folks all have job security provisions, dedicating funding pools for training, dedicated infrastructure in terms of stations/engines/support and the bulk of the staff involved are only involved with operations....admin and support are full time funded positions. These positions may be paid or rotated between a group of retirees "job sharing" the work but crews worry about deploying and training...not paperwork to the same extent as HQ staff do.

However when I look at these organizations...which are full of great and motivated people....I also don't lose sight of how there is a common core set of support needed to keep them functioning and allow those who are only able to mobilize part time to be focused upon a core task. Switch names and you could call this the Canadian reserves within the CAF as I understand things looking outside in.

My default example for a disaster response and assistance organization is Germany's Technische Hilfswerk (THW).

Not that they are more competent that the Kiwis or Ozzies (though they may be), but because I am was more familiar with their set-up, primarily at the local level. A neighbour of mine when I lived in Schuttern (a village outside Lahr) thirty years ago was a member of the Lahr section. Though their section was pretty small back then in terms of manpower, equipment and facilities, they often responded to local events as well as larger regional/national scale situations. They seem to have grown considerably in the intervening years and apparently benefited from us vacating the airfield.

(you may have to auto-translate from the German)

They are unpaid volunteers. While the organization is national, the advantage that I see over a military run disaster response, is their wide spread local representation.
668 local organizations, 66 regional offices, eight state organizations, three training centers and a THW management.

The local sections can respond quickly to local situations. It was common for requests for assistance to be made directly to the local section by the Polizei or Feuerwehr for developing problems, even things like major accidents on the autobahn.

1692061066518.png

YMMV, but I just looked this up and it reads like a work of fiction compared to how I recall things actually getting done. This usually revolved around a 'lead major unit', Class A bods in a Combat Arms regiment, taking responsibility for leading everything for a multi-unit training activity, IIRC as a smoke screen to cover the incompetence of the (full time, Class B) CBG HQ staff who, call me crazy, should have been responsible for the planning and execution of brigade trainings events, led by the (bobbing and weaving) Bde Comd. Regardless, it's not a formally established, permanaent org structure so probably shouldn't be relied upon to lead much other than short term training activities:

"Domestically, the Army Reserve trains through Territorial Battalion Groups (TBG), Domestic Response Companies (DRC) and Arctic Response Company Groups (ARCG). These capabilities represent the force employment framework through which the Army Reserve will leverage existing unit structures and capacities to conduct domestic operations as directed."

TBGs have been around for about a decade. They have a DOMOPs focus. They conduct TBG training each year and they have been successfully used on DOMOPs (the hurricane on the East Coast in Sep 21 for example). I haven't worked with all of them, but I consider them a success. These are different than lead-units for a CBG Brigade Training Event.

Which TBG exercises were you on?

The ARCGs are absolutely a success story.

Was there not for a time, late 80s-early 90s, something called the Supplementary Ready Reserve? I seem to recall it as a transitional phase where there was still some kind of, I believe, annual obligation.
Yes, I also remember the Supplementary Ready Reserve back in the 90’s. As I recall, they were required to parade/work (and were paid for) 1 day a year, presumably to DAG. This was separate from the Supplementary Holding Reserve, who were more like today’s SuppRes who didn’t parade at all.

The two types of Sup Res we’re merged somewhere around 2003 or 2004.
Honoraries were removed from the SR at the same time, resulting in there being no lawful authority to pay for their travel until some work around was implemented.

If those COs were fired, and better ones replaced them, the problem would be solved pretty quick ;)

But that would never happen because: lack of accountability at the highest levels.
Usually, in broad terms, the NES list is about 60% of the unit strength. (Based on my service with 5 reserve units) Not only clearing these files is nigh unto impossible but kit recovery is miniscule. The $ wasted is nearly impossible to calculate as units have neither the will or the means or legal support to effect a worthwhile program.
And yet, Canadians do volunteer.

Looking at this another way.

The average age of the Homeguard is 50 and that includes a very large number of ancients. But it also includes a very large number of middle aged men and women who are living normal lives.

Every year, in Canada, some 5000 civilians volunteer to work with the CAF Reserves. And 3 to 5 years later the CAF loses track of them.
If the CAF could keep track of those 5000 volunteers for the 23 to 32 (call it 25) years that the Danes typically associate with the Homeguard, then that would represent a body of 125,000 people between the ages of 25 and 50. Attested, cleared, willing, with some military training and willing to spend 20 hours a month "parading". That is not a million miles away from two Wednesday nights and a Weekend. But they are maintaining that pace for 25 years. Not 5 years.

And that doesn't reference at all the equivalent number of "Professionals" that are trained and released annually that the CAF loses track of.

These people may not be up to serving the guns or driving a tank but they are a source of organized labour for the types of jobs described by the Homeguard - Vital Point security and Civil Emergencies - work that others would have to do if they weren't doing it.

But, I take the point. This is Canada.
Don't students get hours toward grad?

Back