• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Initiatives launched to retain and increase RCAF personnel experience levels

Wow. I hope they also replace aircrew allowance for other aircrew trades as well.
Yeah. Dream on.

ACSOs and AESOps are, statistically both in worse shape as occupations than pilots, but that gets no attention....

That, at first glance, actually makes much more sense than any previous failed attempt that I've seen.

Too late for me, though...

Yeah. Dream on.

ACSOs and AESOps are, statistically both in worse shape as occupations than pilots, but that gets no attention....
It would only make sense to expand this initiative to other aircrew occupations. Two parallel compensation packages would be ridiculous, and probably counter-productive.

How many annuitant reservists will CT back to reg force to boost the pension?

It would only make sense to expand this initiative to other aircrew occupations. Two parallel compensation packages would be ridiculous, and probably counter-productive.
So, that is probably how this will go down, then...

So, that is probably how this will go down, then...
Probably.

I'd also like to know how AEC is fairing. Completely anecdotally from friends, there are a LOT of people pulling pin and switching to Nav Canada once their contract is up.

How many annuitant reservists will CT back to reg force to boost the pension?
I know at least 1, maybe 2 (out of a sample size not much larger) who have their applications in and plans to pull it if the numbers aren’t to their liking.

Apologies of this has been shared elsewhere, but good old 'bribery' has a role to play here, does it not? The US seems to think so....

Some Air Force Pilots Are Eligible for Up to $420K in Aviation Bonus Payments​

In its yearslong effort to get more pilots to stay in service, the U.S. Air Force is offering up to $420,000 in aviation bonuses over 12 years for some airmen, according to the service's fiscal 2021 bonus program.

Active-duty bomber, fighter, mobility, special operations and combat search-and-rescue fixed-wing pilots whose initial contract commitments expire this year are eligible to receive annual payments of $25,000 for five- to seven-year commitments or $35,000 for eight- to 12-year commitments, according to the service's latest figures provided to Military.com.

These aviators also have the option of taking upfront payments of $100,000 for the five- to seven-year terms, with the remainder of the bonus distributed annually thereafter. Those who choose eight- to 12-year contracts may request a $200,000 upfront payment, the service said.

Other pilot bonuses include:

• Combat search-and-rescue (CSAR) rotary-wing pilots, combat systems officers and air battle managers whose initial contract commitments expire this year are eligible for annual payments of $15,000 for contract lengths of five to seven years or $25,000 for eight to 12 years.
  • Remotely piloted aircraft pilots whose initial contract commitments expire this year can receive annual payments of $25,000 for contract lengths of five to seven years or $35,000 for eight to 12 years. They can also choose upfront payments of $100,000 for contract lengths of eight to 12 years.
  • Remotely piloted aircraft pilots whose contracts expired before 2021 are eligible for annual payments of $15,000 for contract lengths of five to seven years or $25,000 for eight to 12 years.
  • Bomber, fighter, mobility, special operations or CSAR fixed-wing pilots whose contracts have expired prior to 2021 can sign up for annual payments of $15,000 for contract lengths of five to seven years or $25,000 for eight to 12 years.
For those who are non-contracted or have an expired contract, there is a five-year contract minimum and 24 years of aviation service maximum, the service said.

Wow!! If you have a family (or even if you don't marry or have kids) - thats incentive right there.

Perfect timing too, as I imagine some of the airlines might put a hold on hiring for a bit.

Wow!! If you have a family (or even if you don't marry or have kids) - thats incentive right there.

Perfect timing too, as I imagine some of the airlines might put a hold on hiring for a bit.
USAF has had similar bonuses for quite some time.

The USAF sounds like a pretty darn good gig as a pilot. I’m surprised they are suffering the way they are, re: pilots

• Decent pay & benefits
  • Fly exciting planes (variety of fighters, refuellers, transport, etc)
  • Fly newer jets (especially with F-15EX, F-35, etc)

- Most bases have decently large communities nearby. Or are near a big city. (That alone would be a huge attraction compared to us)

- Possibility of being posted somewhere with a decent climate year round.

Personally, if I had multiple lives to live, I think being a pilot in the USAF would be a pretty cool job. I’m surprised they struggle to retain as much as they do.

The USAF sounds like a pretty darn good gig as a pilot. I’m surprised they are suffering the way they are, re: pilots

• Decent pay & benefits

- Most bases have decently large communities nearby. Or are near a big city. (That alone would be a huge attraction compared to us)

Personally, if I had multiple lives to live, I think being a pilot in the USAF would be a pretty cool job. I’m surprised they struggle to retain as much as they do.
UPS starts at 200k+/yr, so there’s that…

• Decent pay & benefits

Many pilots I know do not take the bonuses. Most that take them are posted to undesirable posts (like a year-long unaccompanied posting to the Middle East). They don’t want to be at the mercy of the “system.”

How big is the RCAF reserve? Could any expansion of it offer a assistance to our shortages by trying to get civilian aircraft type jobs to work for us part time?

How big is the RCAF reserve? Could any expansion of it offer a assistance to our shortages by trying to get civilian aircraft type jobs to work for us part time?
The shortage is in experience. We’re swimming in First Officers but have insufficient Instructor Pilots to help them progress.

From my limited experience chatting with USAF folks, they get posted every 2 years. Regardless of location, that gets old FAST.

Also, unlike us, they are in an "up or out" system. Want to fly as a line pilot indefinitely? Nope - if you don't make the promotion cut for 3 years, you're released from the USAF (and USN, and etc). So there's no "career Capt" and everyone is competing for the next rank up.

From my limited experience chatting with USAF folks, they get posted every 2 years. Regardless of location, that gets old FAST.

Also, unlike us, they are in an "up or out" system. Want to fly as a line pilot indefinitely? Nope - if you don't make the promotion cut for 3 years, you're released from the USAF (and USN, and etc). So there's no "career Capt" and everyone is competing for the next rank up.
Yeah, it’s a weird system, the USCG is the same; they’re crying that they’re bleeding pilots and at the same time kicking out people who want to stay. IIRC you need to make O4 to be allowed to stay the 20 years for immediate annuity.

The 'up & out' system seems to have come from good intentions. "Encourage people to progress, take courses, improve their skills and leadership qualities, get as much education as possible, etc - to constantly work their way up, and have momentum in their career. Folks who don't want to progress, learn, and work their way up are viewed as dead weight, and are subsequently released."

On the surface, from afar, I can see how that was easily sold as a good way to keep people growing and moving.

The reality is, like many of you have stated, quite a career killer if someone just enjoys their job and wants to keep doing it. Which is not only sad that good people are forced out of a position they are good at and enjoy, but it takes away some really experienced folks at that level. And every level needs experienced people.

It's a shame they can't make some minor tweaks and adjust for the times. This is an expensive way to essentially say "Sorry you didn't feel wanted. Here's a pile of cash to let you know we actually desperately need you, but didn't realize it until you were all leaving en mass."

Posted every 2 years is tough too. I didn't realize that. Hard to put down roots and really feel 'at home' when you are constantly packing up and moving, and it's hard to settle when you know you will be moving again soon. If one has kids, they won't be able to have the 'childhood best friend' or 'lifelong best friend' if they are going to a different school every few years, new city, etc etc.

When pilots leave the active force, I know quite a few of them stay flying with the National Guard. Is that one of their only options, if they just want to fly? Leave the full time job, get on with the National Guard?

Back