• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iran Super Thread- Merged

Karl...
There is no Romanian land / territory in the Persian gulf.
The Oil rig is in Iranian territorial waters based on contracts between two commercial partners.....

Guess you missed diplomacy 101 at school

Wow! CNN reports that an Iranian warship fired at a Romanian oil rig with absolutely no details as to WHY they fired, what the causes were, etc, and everyone loses their ability to actually think and just reacts.

Eugen Chira, the political consul at the Romanian Embassy in Tehran confirmed the incident, but provided few details.

"Some forces opened fire. That an incident has happened is true. We have no details or the reason yet," he said.
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/22/iran.romania.ap/

Come on people, use some common sense. This is a military warship and they do have to follow rules of engagement. Why would they attack for no reason? Oh I forgot, cause everyone in Iran is a terrorist who should be nuked  ::)

geo said:
Karl...
There is no Romanian land / territory in the Persian gulf.
The Oil rig is in Iranian territorial waters based on contracts between two commercial partners.....

Guess you missed diplomacy 101 at school

If it's a Romanian-owned oil rig, wouldn't attacking it be somewhat (not completely alike) like attacking, say, an embassy, or perhaps more accurately, a ship? Either way, firing on foreign nationals is just asking for crap to happen.

Bo said:
Why would they attack for no reason? Oh I forgot, cause everyone in Iran is a terrorist who should be nuked  ::)

I dunno, why would people fly planes into buildings?

"Guess you missed diplomacy 101 at school "
Diplomacy ?? ?? ??    ;D

Bo said:
This is a military warship and they do have to follow rules of engagement. Why would they attack for no reason?

Nobody knows the reasons for sure, but there are two things of which you can almost be certain:

1) This attack was carried out with the approval of the top levels of the Iranian government
2) The Iranian government is well aware of the diplomatic shockwaves it will send out, regardless of the attack being 'justified' or not

For reasons big or small, they are rocking a fragile boat.
The Iranians have been unpredictable recently, and unpredictable is a bad thing internationally.

probum non poenitet said:
Nobody knows the reasons for sure, but there are two things of which you can almost be certain:

1) This attack was carried out with the approval of the top levels of the Iranian government
2) The Iranian government is well aware of the diplomatic shockwaves it will send out, regardless of the attack being 'justified' or not

For reasons big or small, they are rocking a fragile boat.
The Iranians have been unpredictable recently, and unpredictable is a bad thing internationally.

Not really. Like they are going to get invaded by Romania? No, it's attention getting, vaudeville, call it what you will, but essentially it will bring no harm to them, so they will get away with it.

Why do it? I still maintain that everything that Iran has done externally both physical and verbally, has had one aim. It stifles internal dissent. Everyone forgets that a year ago there were demonstrations in the streets in Tehran, how many do you see now. They are crazy like a fox.

The Romanian oil rig is the prperty of a comercial company - not the Romanian Gov't
The Romanian rig was built or positioned, with Iranian permision (?) in Iranian waters.
If the Iranian Gov't dissagrees with the presence of Romanian business interests, then they will express their displeasure in some way or the other....

Embassies are deemed to be sovereign land within the borders of a country
An oil rig in the Gulf of Persia is located on Iranian sovereign land / water.

GAP said:
Not really. Like they are going to get invaded by Romania? No, it's attention getting, vaudeville, call it what you will, but essentially it will bring no harm to them, so they will get away with it.

Why do it? I still maintain that everything that Iran has done externally both physical and verbally, has had one aim. It stifles internal dissent. Everyone forgets that a year ago there were demonstrations in the streets in Tehran, how many do you see now. They are crazy like a fox.

I agree ... they will probably get away with it, and I sincerely doubt they are trying to start World War III.

But with the region as unstable as it is, and Iran being the U.S.'s #1 boogie-man, every time you pull a stunt like this you are playing "Wheel of Nuclear Fortune"

I would file it under "not clever"

probum non poenitet said:
I agree ... they will probably get away with it, and I sincerely doubt they are trying to start World War III."

I'm going to disagree here. Iran has been working for years at provoking the international community--particularly the US--through any means possible.

They, or at least the Iranian leaders, think the Twelfth Imam is coming; do you think they care if fire starts raining in Tehran? If anything they'll be happy!

Bo said:
Wow! CNN reports that an Iranian warship fired at a Romanian oil rig with absolutely no details as to WHY they fired, what the causes were, etc, and everyone loses their ability to actually think and just reacts.
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/22/iran.romania.ap/

Come on people, use some common sense. This is a military warship and they do have to follow rules of engagement. Why would they attack for no reason? Oh I forgot, cause everyone in Iran is a terrorist who should be nuked  ::)

I see you make your arguments as convincing as always....... ::)

From Starfor (fair use et al)

Iran: The Romanian Oil Rig Move
August 22, 2006 11 39  GMT

Summary

Iran seized control of an oil rig operated by a Romanian company in the Persian Gulf on Aug. 22, just hours before Tehran's national security chief planned to deliver the Iranian counteroffer to the incentives package from the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany on its nuclear issue. Tehran is demonstrating that it is willing to go to extreme lengths should the West respond harshly to its refusal to give up its nuclear ambitions.

Analysis

Iran occupied an oil rig operated by Romanian company GSP near Kish Island in the Persian Gulf on Aug. 22, a company spokesman said. The Iranians fired warning shots over the rig and then boarded it, after which GSP lost contact with its workers. An Iranian official claimed the seizure was due to contractual issues with the Romanian firm. GSP had recently begun moving three rigs it was operating in the area, while the Iranian oil company PetroIran protestd the move.

The seizure comes hours before Ali Larijani, Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Council and top nuclear negotiator, is expected to deliver Tehran's formal response to the incentives package from the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany. This is not a coincidence. The Iranians are signaling that they can be expected to respond harshly if any punitive action is taken against them for refusing to comply with the demand to halt enrichment. The takeover of the rig sends the message that there can be repercussions for the energy sector if Iran is sanctioned or subject to a military attack.

In essence the Iranians are expressing their willingness to negotiate, but with a gun in their hand.

Lets not read too much into firing some shots which can be a show of force and intent more often than a direct attack. A example would be Canada firing across the bow of the Spanish trawler Estai during the Turbot War in the 90's. It's a worrying development but there is currently little information of what the dispute is and why it has escalated.

Frederik G said:
Iran occupied an oil rig operated by Romanian company GSP near Kish Island in the Persian Gulf on Aug. 22, a company spokesman said. The Iranians fired warning shots over the rig and then boarded it, after which GSP lost contact with its workers. An Iranian official claimed the seizure was due to contractual issues with the Romanian firm. GSP had recently begun moving three rigs it was operating in the area, while the Iranian oil company PetroIran protestd the move.

Some Iranian military officers are reputed to conduct actions wthout the approval of their government, especially if it involves extortion or 'protection'...

The only question that remains in my opinion is...

"How thick do they want the glass?"

Cheers
Pop

Popurhedoff said:
The only question that remains in my opinion is...

"How thick do they want the glass?"

Cheers
Pop

Wow, for a zoomie you sure are hardcore!

I do agree, though. :)

Possibly Pasdaran Navy responsible for this incident. Look for the SEALs to go in and free these guys unless they have been transported to an Iranian port.

Hmmm...
the US navy to the rescue?
Oy..... why is it that I have this impression the Iranians are counting on exactly that reaction?

yeah......
it's just that the Iranians know that too.... and although they might be acting in a provocative way - they have not drawn blood.

Back