• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iraq Unravels

tomahawk6 said:
Iraq wont be stable until the militias are disbanded.

That’s a hopelessly naive assertion. Iraq has nothing even close to a stable political power structure nor civil institutions. In many areas the militias - essentially politically decentralized militaries who allegiances are local/regional, not national - are the only particularly effective armed force the government has, *so long as* the central government can retain loyalty. The die was cast on this in 2003 when Iraq’s Army was disbanded wholesale.

If, hypothetically, Iraq could enjoy a generation of reasonable political stability, armed force could hopefully be gradually consolidated under a central democratic (or quasi-democratic) government. Iraq can never achieve the greatest possible stability so long as armed force is decentralized in militias, true; but that will be putting polish on, not hammering out the dents. There are many, many steps to achieve before that.

Good2Golf said:
Both points quite valid and leads one to question how much consultation from US to IRQ occurred prior to the US executing the kill chain.  Let’s accept what PM Mahdi said is true for a moment and appreciate the impact of the US action on intra-Regional effort to work the Yemeni situation.

In any case, Trump appears to have effectively handed the greatest influence in Iraq to Iran. If I’m the course of doing so he also managed to inadvertently frig up efforts to simmer down another regional conflict, that is... less than ideal.

With that said I would be surprised if Soleimani had been in town as part of a sort of diplomatic interchange with Saudi Arabia without US intelligence knowing or at least strongly suspecting that fact.

What a goddamned mess.

The Iraqi motion is non-binding.  Of course the Iranians, etc will say that they are going to retaliate but privately I am certain the discussions are far different.

Iran is in a pretty precarious position with regard to Israel, KSA and Turkey with America playing the role of referee/kingmaker. 

Israel in particular is very happy with this turn of events.

Humphrey Bogart said:
The Iraqi motion is of course non-binding.  Of course the Iranians, etc will say that they are going to retaliate but privately I am certain the discussions are far different.

Iran is in a pretty precarious position with regard to Israel, KSA and Turkey with America playing the role of referee/kingmaker. 

It is, yes- though recommended by Iraq's caretaker PM, and it still gives a pretty decent sense of sentiment within the political structure. With a 'win' against ISIS, the assertion is being made that the primary reason for foreign presence is ended.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/iraqi-parliament-calls-expulsion-foreign-troops-200105150709628.html

Humphrey Bogart said:
The Iraqi motion is of course non-binding.  Of course the Iranians, etc will say that they are going to retaliate but privately I am certain the discussions are far different.

It is hard to say who is happy about this. Probably nobody, because of the uncertainty it has created.

While I am nearly certain that few tears are being shed over the untimely passing of Mr Soleimani in most mid-east capital cities, it does make me wonder if this fundamentally fully cleaves the Sunni/Shia divide (especially in Iraq), setting the scene for a monster Islamic War, with the US caught firmly in the middle.

(There I go, becoming an internet mid-east expert....)

No, you need to be insultive and state that others need to read more before you become a IMEE. :orly:

Influence was handed over when Obama pulled the troops out prematurely, allowing Iran to move in.  Trump inherited the whole mess.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
No, you need to be insultive and state that others need to read more before you become a IMEE. :orly:

I am the first guy that needs to read more....

Bruce Monkhouse said:

The passive-aggressive crap doesn't suit you, Bruce. I ignored it a couple days ago at the top of page 6, I'm going to call you on it now.

You came out of nowhere and replied to one of my posts with "And your crystal ball tells you this how?". That unnecessarily rude reply was back on page 5 if you care to refer. To that, I replied "Crystal ball? No. I read. Sometimes even from sources that know their stuff." I then suggested you study more on this in response to your suggestion that perhaps Iraqi decision makers "green lighted this hit". I stand by that- you made a suggestion that facts don't seem to back, borne out by responses over the last couple days, Being insulted by something doesn't make it an insult. More to the point, I didn't just fire back something snippy, I gave some facts and reasoning for my opinion. I'm no expert, I don't profess to be one- that's a term you have used, not me. What I don't see you doing at all is linking your opinions back to any external reporting, sourcing, or analysis. I don't see you giving any context, any 'why', nothing.

Now we can shelve this and carry on as adults, or you can remain offended over a difference in opinion and a mild rebuke over a weak claim, and continue to take poorly veiled shots at me. For my part I'm happy to look at any points of interest, analysis, or context you want to share on this subject, the same as I am anyone else's posts where there's actual content. Trolling me brings nothing to the thread.

Now that I've said my bit, I'm done with this tangent out of respect to the admins who get stuck cleaning this crap up.

Some one making a living as a Middle East Expert

David is Non-Resident Fellow at the School of Iranian Studies, St Andrews, and author of War In 140 Characters: How Social Media Is Reshaping Conflict In The Twenty-First Century.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/04/wake-death-qassim-soleimani-iran-back-foot/

In the wake of the death of Qassim Soleimani, Iran is on the back foot
DAVID PATRIKARAKOS

It was the delay that was strange. After a US drone strike killed Iranian Quds Force leader Qassim Soleimani in the early hours of Friday morning, Iran and its various Iraqi proxies went into an expected period of mourning – except it wasn’t quite what it should have been.

Just hours after the strike the official Twitter feed for the Popular Mobilisation Front (PMF) – an umbrella of Iranian-backed militias in Iraq – tweeted out a simple message.

“Attention: The Hashd al-Sha’abi confirms the martyrdom of the deputy commander of Hashd Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis and the commander of the Jerusalem Corps (Quds Force) by an American raid near Baghdad International Airport #IraqCommandostoMartydom.”

And then: almost nothing. Once the official PMF account had tweeted the various militia groups under its command, and their officials, should have immediately followed suit. But, in fact, it took several hours after that for all of the other groups to get on message.

The important PMF group, the Badr Organisation, didn’t update its ‘War News’ Facebook page until late in the day on January 3.

Eventually, the posters were printed and disseminated; the vigils were held. But it is clear that the PMF was thrown into confusion – and shock – by the deaths of its two most senior commanders (PMF leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis was killed alongside Soleimani).

This is significant. It is through them that Tehran will most likely seek to strike back hard against Washington.

As of now, the PMF is facing two problems that no one is talking about. The first is the death of its commander Muhandis whose assassination has been totally overshadowed by Soleimani’s.

Iran watchers have commented that Muhandis – who was tremendously loyal to the regime – was the thing that connected the different groups under the PMF umbrella, having created several of them. The group will recover but right now it is wobbling.

The second problem concerns the anti-Iran protests strafing Baghdad. The protesters have legitimate grievances and, as of now, remain firm in their anti-Iran messaging and demands.

Iraqi protesters block a road with burning tyres during an anti-government demonstration in the holy shrine city of Najaf, before Qassim Soleimani's death CREDIT: HAIDAR HAMDANI/AFP

Critically, among the protesters are fighters from the PMF. Good Shias but also Iraqi nationalists tired of Iranian meddling in their country. 

The leadership must now wait to see which side they will ultimately choose. Will they remain loyal to the demonstrations or return to Iran? Until then a concerted effort against Iranian enemies will be difficult to mount properly, and if they are planning to retaliate with any sort of proportion for Soleimani’s death, they will need to be prepared like never before.

Right now Iran is on the back foot. Its greatest military commander has been killed and its primary means of retaliation cannot be relied upon. It is almost certain that the highly disciplined PMF will recalibrate quickly, but until then the uncertainty around this crisis grows ever more dangerous by the day. 

David is Non-Resident Fellow at the School of Iranian Studies, St Andrews, and author of War In 140 Characters: How Social Media Is Reshaping Conflict In The Twenty-First Century.

Anybody know anything about the ranks of the "collateral damage"?  Drivers, staffers or "allies"?

Chris Pook said:
Some one making a living as a Middle East Expert

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/04/wake-death-qassim-soleimani-iran-back-foot/

In the wake of the death of Qassim Soleimani, Iran is on the back foot
DAVID PATRIKARAKOS

Anybody know anything about the ranks of the "collateral damage"?  Drivers, staffers or "allies"?

Other than Soleimani and al-Muhandis, the other name I've been able to find was Mohammed Ridha Jabri. He was the PMF's public relations chief, and was travelling with Soleimani. If he was head of PR, that might explain the slower response on the PR front by PMF, but I'm of course speculating.

Interesting that the two of them were traveling together.

Iraqi Lawmakers Urge End to U.S. Troop Presence as Iran Mourns a Slain General
The vote in Parliament, after the U.S. killing of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani of Iran in Baghdad, is not final until Iraq’s prime minister signs the bill.

Jan. 5, 2020
Updated 1:15 p.m. ET

BAGHDAD — Lawmakers in Iraq voted on Sunday to require the government to end the presence of American troops in the country after the United States ordered the killing of the Iranian leader of the elite Quds Force, Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, on Iraqi soil.
The decision to heed the demands of angry Shiite factions and politicians came as hundreds of thousands of mourners poured into the streets of Iran to pay their respects to General Suleimani, the most powerful figure in the country after the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

The vote is not final until Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi of Iraq signs the bill. But since he drafted the language and submitted the bill to Parliament, there was little doubt he would sign it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/05/world/middleeast/iran-general-soleimani-iraq.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Hmm ...
The Department of Homeland Security is monitoring the apparent hack of a government website, according to a senior administration official, who called it “defacement.”

The website on Saturday evening displayed an image of President Donald Trump bleeding from his mouth with an Islamic Revolutionary Guard fist in his face.

The Federal Depository Library Program website, which is run by the Government Publishing Office and makes federal government documents and information available to the public, featured the image and is currently offline.

The official did not comment on who could be behind the act.

“An intrusion was detected on GPO’s FDLP website, which has been taken down. GPO’s other sites are fully operational. We are coordinating with the appropriate authorities to investigate further,” says Gary Somerset, the chief public relations officer for the US Government Publishing Office.

“We are aware the website of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) was defaced with pro-Iranian, anti-US messaging,” said Sara Sendek, a spokesperson for DHS’ Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. “At this time, there is no confirmation that this was the action of Iranian state-sponsored actors. The website was taken off line and is no longer accessible. CISA is monitoring the situation with FDLP and our federal partners.”

The image appeared along with the claim that is a message from Islamic Republic of Iran, and that the site was “Hacked by Iran Cyber Security Group HackerS.” Text on the website is in Arabic, Farsi and English and conveys a message of support for “oppressed” people in the Middle East ...

Just breaking. IRAN is ending its commitments under the earlier nuclear deal limiting its nuclear development.

CTV said:
Iran says it will no longer abide by nuclear deal limits
Nasser Karimi, Jon Gambrell and Zeina Karam
The Associated Press
Published Sunday, January 5, 2020 7:23AM EST
Last Updated Sunday, January 5, 2020 1:34PM EST

TEHRAN, IRAN -- Iran said Sunday it would no longer abide by any of the limits of its unraveling 2015 nuclear deal with world powers after a U.S. airstrike killed a top Iranian general in Baghdad, ending an accord that blocked Tehran from having enough material to build an atomic weapon.

The announcement came Sunday night after another Iranian official said it would consider taking even-harsher steps over the U.S. killing of Gen. Qassem Soleimani on Friday. Hundreds of thousands of people flooded the streets Sunday in Iran to walk alongside a casket carrying the remains of Soleimani, the former leader of its expeditionary Quds Force that organizes Tehran's proxy forces in the wider Mideast.

The leader of one such proxy, Lebanon's Hezbollah, said Soleimani's killing made U.S. military bases, warships and service members spread across the region fair targets for attacks. A former Revolutionary Guard leader suggested the Israeli city of Haifa and "centres" like Tel Aviv could be targeted.

Iran's state TV cited a statement by President Hassan Rouhani's administration saying the country will not observe limitations on its enrichment, the amount of stockpiled enriched uranium as well as research and development in its nuclear activities.

It did not elaborate on what levels it would immediately reach in its program.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, the United Nations watchdog observing Iran's program, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. However, Iran said that its co-operation with the IAEA "will continue as before."

More at link, unrelated to the nuclear aspect but catching up more generally on the rest of events
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/iran-says-it-will-no-longer-abide-by-nuclear-deal-limits-1.4753576

Iran has offered $80m for Trumps head. What other country has put a bounty on another nations leader ?

tomahawk6 said:
Iran has offered $80m for Trumps head. What other country has put a bounty on another nations leader ?

Cite a source for this info or the post will be deleted.

Staff

tomahawk6 said:

www.express.co.uk/news/world/1224314/Iran-news-US-World-War-3-Donald-Trump-latest-bounty-airstrike-Qassem-Soleimani

Concur with Brihards's assessment below...

BeyondTheNow said:
Cite a source for this info or the post will be deleted.

Staff

Allegedly some funeral announcer on Iranian state TV declared the bounty. It's moving fast on Twitter, but doesn't seem to be backed by anything official as of yet. To claim that 'Iran has placed a bounty' can't be backed based on the more specific account Baz's link gives. Depends how much stock you put in talking heads on Iranian state TV, I guess.

Baz said:
www.express.co.uk/news/world/1224314/Iran-news-US-World-War-3-Donald-Trump-latest-bounty-airstrike-Qassem-Soleimani

Concur with Brihards's assessment below...

In what- USD or Iranian Rials?  ::)

How is one supposed to collect? Without immediately dying at the hands of the entire US military?

This whole thing is spinning from sublime, to ridiculous.

I am no Trump fan, but if even one hair on his head gets mussed, Iran ceases to exist. Even the Democrats would be onboard with that, I am certain.

Brihard said:
Allegedly some funeral announcer on Iranian state TV declared the bounty. It's moving fast on Twitter, but doesn't seem to be backed by anything official as of yet. To claim that 'Iran has placed a bounty' can't be backed based on the more specific account Baz's link gives. Depends how much stock you put in talking heads on Iranian state TV, I guess.

Yes, just finished reading the article Baz posted.

ALL: This is a largely tumultuous situation that isn’t going to simmer down soon. This is a public forum. Regardless of whether or not it is officially associated with DND is irrelevant. It’s common knowledge that several retired and currently serving members of the Canadian military (and other facets of public service) frequent this forum. Therefore, it attracts traffic from all locations, of all kinds.

If you’re going to introduce new information, do it accurately. Cite sources accurately. Quote sources accurately and read all sources thoroughly.

A “believed funeral organizer” is a far cry from “Iran” as a whole.

Please Include ALL relevant info as to not fuel any unnecessary fires when you post.

Staff

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/iran-trump-bounty/

SeaKingTacco said:
In what- USD or Iranian Rials?  ::)

How is one supposed to collect? Without immediately dying at the hands of the entire US military?

This whole thing is spinning from sublime, to ridiculous.

I am no Trump fan, but if even one hair on his head gets mussed, Iran ceases to exist. Even the Democrats would be onboard with that, I am certain.

Meh. They do angry hyperbole on TV a bit differently over there. I wouldn't put any stock in it in terms of the actual thing being said. More just an indicator of how pissed off a lot of people are. The Iranian regime will ave considerable freedom of movement in terms of domestic support for retaliatory actions.

Back