• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

is st.jean a canadian forces base?

matt45

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
i was wondering if st.jean was a military base. i searched adn nothing came up

so if your know what it is plz tell me.

matt45 :cdn:

It's not a base, it's an ASU (Area Support Unit) and it's a lodger unit of CFB Montreal.

Inch said:
It's not a base, it's an ASU (Area Support Unit) and it's a lodger unit of CFB Montreal.

It was actualy its own wing when i went to recruit school in 93 but has since changed to a satelite site of CFB Montreal.

Actually, it'a now called "St-Jean Garrison", part of CFB Montréal.

On the topic of St Jean - who thinks we should deep six this god forsaken dump and go back to the way it was (Chilliwack for Officers and GOOD OLD Cornwallis for Recruits)?  I know some of you would say - weve got to move into the future - but when the future looks like St Jean we are in a world of hurt!  Deep Six It and go back to REAL basic training in a REAL training atmosphere!  This is the only place I know of where people are continuously sick because of the stinking air in the bldg, people do PT in the Bldg - heaven forbid they get outside a walk from class to class - this place REALLY sucks for all concerned!  God when is this place gonna just go AWAY!  Want good recruits?  Send them to a good place vice St Jean - I pitty the poor instructors who have to live and work in this place!  Politics killed Cornwallis and Chilliwack! 

St-Jean-sur-Richelieu is quite a military city. It has the ASU St-Jean which is part of the CFB Montréal, and the old Collège militaire royal de St-Jean is still used by the Canadian Forces (now under the name Collège Fort St-Jean). Even though their is a lot of military personnel that still work and study at Fort St-Jean, civilians have a better access to it then we do. During my Lieutenant Qualification Course that I just finished with RCIS(E), we should have had access to the Officers' Mess of the campus, however, civilans had always rented it, and therefore, all the snotties of the RMC and the CIC officers had to go to the NCO's mess (les Forges). During the whole course, we only had access to the officers' mess on two occassions - during our course mess dinner (and their was a weeding reception at the same time), and after the graduation parade at 1600 hours the next day.

Good day!

I would have killed for the chance to do basic in Chilliwack, I missed the chance by a couple of years.  I am from langley though and know exactly what CFB Chilliwack is like.  It is the ideal spot for any and all training, heaven forbid that we learn how to do mountain climbing on actual mountains.  Not to meantion the whole rucksack thing would have been moreeffective on somewhere with actual terrain features, like hills/rivers, compared to that hole Farnham.  Once again, just my 2 cents.

Chief Clerk said:
On the topic of St Jean - who thinks we should deep six this god forsaken dump and go back to the way it was (Chilliwack for Officers and GOOD OLD Cornwallis for Recruits)?   I know some of you would say - weve got to move into the future - but when the future looks like St Jean we are in a world of hurt!   Deep Six It and go back to REAL basic training in a REAL training atmosphere!   This is the only place I know of where people are continuously sick because of the stinking air in the bldg, people do PT in the Bldg - heaven forbid they get outside a walk from class to class - this place REALLY sucks for all concerned!   God when is this place gonna just go AWAY!   Want good recruits?   Send them to a good place vice St Jean - I pitty the poor instructors who have to live and work in this place!   Politics killed Cornwallis and Chilliwack!  

As much as i agree with your asessement, you need to let got of Cornwalis and move on.  It's dead.  Why not concentrate on how we can improve current recruit training at CFLRS, i think that would be more productive.

aesop081 said:
As much as i agree with your asessement, you need to let got of Cornwalis and move on.   It's dead.   Why not concentrate on how we can improve current recruit training at CFLRS, i think that would be more productive.

That is the mature thing to do I believe. It's nice to remember the past (I am studying history) however, we do have to think of the future, and how not to repeat the errors of the past.

matt45 said:
i was wondering if st.jean was a military base. i searched adn nothing came up

so if your know what it is plz tell me.

matt45 :cdn:

Try this.

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/english/site/index_e.asp

aesop081 said:
As much as i agree with your asessement, you need to let got of Cornwalis and move on.   It's dead.   Why not concentrate on how we can improve current recruit training at CFLRS, i think that would be more productive.

Yeah that's true, but why an oversized appartment building?  It's a long ass climb going up the stairs with a rucksack on, I live on the 11th floor what do you want.

ctjj.stevenson said:
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu is quite a military city. It has the ASU St-Jean which is part of the CFB Montréal, and the old Collà ¨ge militaire royal de St-Jean is still used by the Canadian Forces (now under the name Collà ¨ge Fort St-Jean). Even though their is a lot of military personnel that still work and study at Fort St-Jean, civilians have a better access to it then we do.

And before that it was the Home Station for A Sqn RCD.   The RCD were Stood Up in La Citadel in Quebec in 1883.   Later they moved to St. Jean (A Sqn) and Stanley Barracks (RHQ) in Toronto, with B Sqn in Winnipeg (later moved to Toronto also).

I was just wondering why cant the CF use some wheres like CFB Pettawa or CFB Gagetown  they both have large training areas with different terrains?

karl28 said:
I was just wondering why cant the CF use some wheres like CFB Pettawa or CFB Gagetown   they both have large training areas with different terrains?

Petawawa, really doesn't have that large a training Area.   Even Gagetown, which is the Largest Training Area in the British Commonwealth (because Suffield is not all Training Area) is so [edit] heavily [edit] booked that there would be problems adding more to their plate.   Same goes for Petawawa, Valcartier, Wainwright, Shilo and Suffield.

G-Man said:
Yeah that's true, but why an oversized appartment building?   It's a long ass climb going up the stairs with a rucksack on, I live on the 11th floor what do you want.

I went trough st-jean in 93 , lived on the tenth floor.........

if its sympathy you want, you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary

aesop081 said:
I went trough st-jean in 93 , lived on the tenth floor.........

if its sympathy you want, you'll find it between crap and syphilis in the dictionary

Who the hell asked for sympathy? I just said it was a pain in the ass.  Its a great leg workout anyway. ;)

aesop081 said:

Not only is it dead I am pretty sure it is not owned by DND anymore. If DND did own it, they would have to put a crap-load of money into it. Not worth it all.

Another question regarding St Jean... why the hell is it called "USS St Jean" and "USS Montreal" in some forms? Shouldn't it be CFB Montreal or something similar?

Back