• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is this guy for real or a wanabe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X Royal

Inactive
Reaction score
After causing a multi-agency search which included alerting Trenton, local police & fire and also US police and fire and a USCG helicopter it is now coming out as a member of our reserves from HMCS Prevost Naval Reserve in London. ::)
Report of a person on an ice flow came from a bystander who witnessed a person on a ice flow after dark with a red light waving(camera?).
Ended up in a colossal waste of time and money from many first responders.
Here's a link.
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/03/22/emergency-responders-scour-st-clair-river-after-report-of-man-spotted-on-ice-floe
From the article - "For work, Brown said, he's often stationed at coastal ports, checking ships pulling in for explosives and drugs." seems somewhat unlikely for a reservist from London, On.

He's claiming to be a Port Inspection Diver, which does exist in the Naval Reserve world.  Idiot.  While they're wasting their time looking for asshats, someone who really needs assistance might be SOL. 

What is he training for? And whatever the reason why is he "training" alone?

I'm sure his RSM and/or CO will be asking him exactly that question at their earliest opportunity.

So am I especially if the question comes through a Ministerial Inquiry.

Schindler's Lift said:
I'm sure his RSM and/or CO will be asking him exactly that question at their earliest opportunity.

HMCS PREVOST has an RSM?

Curt is an extreme athlete and he trains for a wide variety of things. He also does this particular swim lots. This was his first "problem". He knows to call ahead now- and I ve told him that numerous times before.

He is a PID and a fairly well experienced one. I have no doubt that his "work" was brought up to dissuade copycats who think it's the kindve thing you just "do" on a whim.

The problem here is the type
Of person who's "so concerned" that they report someone on the river but don't actually stay to show anyone where they are. Concerned but not that concerned.

Even if doing nothing illegal it sure is stupid.  And if something goes wrong, it's police/fire/rescue personal who's lives are put at risk to save him
A stupid stunt putting his life, and potentially others lives (police/fire/rescue) at risk

Tom

Container said:
The problem here is the type
Of person who's "so concerned" that they report someone on the river but don't actually stay to show anyone where they are. Concerned but not that concerned.
Actually the problem was Curt's action.
By the way the person who reported it did stick around after reporting it to the police.
They identified themselves to police but stated they lost sight of Curt and his waving red light in the darkness as he drifted down stream at night.
Don't blame the concerned citizen for Curt's unthoughtful stunt.
He is a PID and a fairly well experienced one.
Is that is or was? As a reservist I find it unlikely that he's currently employed on a regular basis as a PID as he indicated by claiming "he's often stationed at coastal ports, checking ships pulling in for explosives and drugs".
I have no doubt that his "work" was brought up to dissuade copycats who think it's the kindve thing you just "do" on a whim.
I highly doubt this is the case or he would have mentioned it on the video if he was concerned with others safety. Instead he displayed a crap eating grin with no mention of his reserve work.
His work was only brought up later in I believe as an attempt of some sort of "get out of jail free" card.

Container said:
He is a PID and a fairly well experienced one.

Then why was he acting like a Fid?  (A Fid is a tool that Bosn use for rope work.  Some call it a useless tool and use the term for people who do stupid things.)

XRoyal- he isn't currently on contract. But PIDs are employed at the FDUs for a variety of reasons- and on the east coast wind up assisting in recovery diving efforts quite regularly.

I wasn't aware of that info regarding the caller.

But I stll think that you guys are piling on.

Curt should've called before going in. That was dumb- and he will no doubt be standing tall before the man because of it.

Container said:
Curt should've called before going in. That was dumb- and he will no doubt be standing tall before the man because of it.
Agreed he should have called but his biggest mistake was bring up he was a reservist doing personal training.
Looks to me like he used this in a way to minimize his responsibilities.
As a reservist on his personal time he was not subject to the Code of Service Discipline but he may of opened the door by using being a reservist as an excuse.
At best he has gave the Forces some bad publicity which we know is not looked good upon.

Agreed, we are not to connect the military to our personal hobbies, especially when we screw up!  Likely he will get the "talk" but likely not much more. 

Lightguns said:
Agreed, we are not to connect the military to our personal hobbies, especially when we screw up!  Likely he will get the "talk" but likely not much more.
Funny you say that. But the news is fast to play the he's in/was in the reserves/military any time some dumb ass does something stupid. My  :2c:

There was a SIR released today from PREVOST to NAVRESHQ (info RCN COS and MARPAC COS) explaining the entire situation. I'm sure he had a one way conversation with the XO and Coxswain about all the trouble he caused.

FSTO said:
There was a SIR released today from PREVOST to NAVRESHQ (info RCN COS and MARPAC COS) explaining the entire situation. I'm sure he had a one way conversation with the XO and Coxswain about all the trouble he caused.

Win win if he signs a pay sheet.

Jarnhamar said:
Win win if he signs a pay sheet.

You can not retroactively authorize someone sign a pay sheet. The authority for pay has to be granted before the event for which one is being paid.

ModlrMike said:
You can not retroactively authorize someone sign a pay sheet. The authority for pay has to be granted before the event for which one is being paid.

I meant signing the pay sheet if he was called into work to have a conversation with the XO and Coxswain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back