• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is this Stolen Valour

Is it Stolen Valour

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters

excoelis892

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I walked past this the other day and it confused me, and after not really getting an answer from my usual sources I'd like to get your opinion.

Background: the setting is an RCAF pilot training establishment. a course of student pilots made a patch for themselves with "AIRBORNE" scroll across it, and they spam it with posters around the school depicting themselves getting a parachute famil. one of the students on this course is an OT Capt who has his red wings. the rest have never smelled the air around the jump school.

Question: is this considered Stolen Valour?

Edit:  Removed one picture that had personnel photos and names due to PERSEC.

Attachments

• IMG_4185.JPG
    IMG_4185.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 658
toonietuesday said:
Hello everyone.

I walked past this the other day and it confused me, and after not really getting an answer from my usual sources I'd like to get your opinion.

Background: the setting is an RCAF pilot training establishment. a course of student pilots made a patch for themselves with "AIRBORNE" scroll across it, and they spam it with posters around the school depicting themselves getting a parachute famil. one of the students on this course is an OT Capt who has his red wings. the rest have never smelled the air around the jump school.

Question: is this considered Stolen Valour?

Merely envy, in very bad taste, I would say:

Agreed.

If the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) were to find out about this, I doubt that they would be amused.

Are they poking fun at themselves?

It’s a bad patch, I would have used a seagull (finding Nemo gull) instead of a falcon and changed the wording to “Barely Airborne” across the top.  That way it wouldn’t be taken seriously.

They need five parachute descents for jump wings. That’s a very bad record for a pilot to have.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Are they poking fun at themselves?

It’s a bad patch, I would have used a seagull (finding Nemo gull) instead of a falcon and changed the wording to “Barely Airborne” across the top.  That way it wouldn’t be taken seriously.

They're RCAF - the patch should read "HAIRBORNE".

MM

Brihard said:
They need five parachute descents for jump wings. That’s a very bad record for a pilot to have.

:rofl:

I think it may be a play on words, especially if any of them have come close to pulling the handles at any point in time.

Edited to add: And "Falcon" in French, especially over the radio, could easily be mistaken for another word, which makes me think there's an inside joke going on that includes some of the students.

Just don't say "seal" in French if you're in polite company.

I don’t really get it but I’m sure they didn’t mean to insult anyone. Stolen valour? I don’t think a bunch of pilots are into pretending they are in the army... get over yourselves

Downhiller229 why does it bother you so much that toonietuesday asked if it is stolen valour?

fake penguin said:
Downhiller229 why does it bother you so much that toonietuesday asked if it is stolen valour?

From the guy who’s not even a real penguin... :D

Stolen Valor is someone who has never served pretending they have. As for those guys. Just want to look better than they are. We are the backbone of the military. Now you know why they call us grunts. LOL

TrapperN said:
Stolen Valor is someone who has never served pretending they have.
That's complete BS.
There have been many cases of those who have served adding medals or qualification badges they have never earned. That is stolen valour.

X Royal said:
That's complete BS.
There have been many cases of those who have served adding medals or qualification badges they have never earned. That is stolen valour.

As well as a guy we discovered who was claiming that he was a speshulforcesnightknifefightingninjasniper exchanging cold steel 'toe to toe with the foe', when he was actually commanding a desk buried in the centre of KAF :)

X Royal said:
That's complete BS.

It's not like they wore the badge on their uniform...  settle down cowboy..

X Royal said:
That's complete BS.
Stolen Valour requires that you pretend to be someone/something you aren't. If you are making a tongue in cheek joke it's not stolen valour, no matter how many sensitive souls you offend.

Furniture said:
Stolen Valour requires that you pretend to be someone/something you aren't. If you are making a tongue in cheek joke it's not stolen valour, no matter how many sensitive souls you offend.

Thank you! If people are offended by this they are taking themselves too seriously.

Downhiller229 said:
Thank you! If people are offended by this they are taking themselves too seriously.

Right. so the 2Lts doubled down this week with this

Attachments

• IMG_4422.JPG
    IMG_4422.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 440
  • IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 414
You appear really bothered by this. It’s kids having fun getting under someone’s fingernails. They appear to be succeeding. Give it a rest and pick your battles.

Brihard said:
You appear really bothered by this. It’s kids having fun getting under someone’s fingernails. They appear to be succeeding. Give it a rest and pick your battles.

you appear really bothered by my posting of this. it's me making an observation of an unusual situation. i seem to be succeeding in bothering you enough for you to claim that i should not be posting things that i find interesting. give it a rest and pick your nose.

Back