• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issued Tac Vest

Should we go with Tac Vest or Old Style Webbing or MOLLE/PAL or nothing

• Tac Vest

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • Webbing

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Molle, Pal, Custom

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • nothing

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • webbing?

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
Britney Spears said:
You need to get some FPV lovin'.
Britney Spears said:
Fragmentation Protection Vest. Makes crawling more fun than ever.

That has to be the greatest thing I've read today! Thanx for the laugh, Britney.

Britney Spears said:
Fragmentation Protection Vest. Makes crawling more fun than ever.

I can only imagine. What do those plates weigh anyways?

I've weighed front and back plates for my hard armour, and they came to about 15 pounds, with carrier.  But the FPV if I am not mistaken is also a stand alone level III vest.  Add another 10 pounds....

IIIA

IIRC the wieght is pretty close to 25lbs as BlackHorse suggests.

You have to pass Level II to get it.

(If you haven't figured it out yet, Google is your friend)

Pacific Safety Products(formerly known as Pacific Body Armour)

2821 Fenwick Road, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada V1X 5E4
Phone: 250-491-0911 Foreign Phone: 250-491-0911  Foreign Fax 250-763-9730
http://www.pacsafety.com/

Models Comply with NIJ Standard 0101.04

THREAT LEVEL II
As a result of independent testing, the following vest models were found to be in compliance with NIJ Standard-0101.04 requiring protection against .357 Magnum JSP 158 gr. bullets to a velocity of 1400 ft/s and 9mm FMJ 124 gr. bullets to a velocity of 1175 ft/s.

Threat ID Model Name Style Female
II PTIIXLT31   
II UG204TW8   
II UG204TW8-F  X 
II UG214ZGF   
II UG214ZGF-F  X 
II UG2BA8-F   
II UG2LGK6   
II UG2LGT8   
II UG2LGT8-F  X 
II UGIIXLT31   
II UGIIXLTPF   

THREAT LEVEL IIIA
As a result of independent testing, the following vest models were found to be in compliance with NIJ Standard-0101.04 requiring protection against .44 Magnum SJHP 240 gr. bullets and 9mm FMJ 124 gr. bullets, both to a velocity of 1400 ft/s.

Threat ID Model Name Style Female
IIIA PT3AT15   
IIIA PT3AZHY   
IIIA UG304SK8   
IIIA UG304ZGS   
IIIA UG3A2170   
IIIA UG3AT840-2   
IIIA UG3AXLTGF   
IIIA UG3AZHY-F  X 
IIIA UG3BXLTGF-F  X 

Well I died last weekend, twice, trying to wrestle a mag out of my TV (and I was using Ranger plates) while under close contact. I suppose I should spend more time practicing with the TV trying to build up some new muscle memory, then again the "designers" could have thought a little bit about motor skills, legacy muscle memory and stress when they came up with this thing. Somehow they managed to completely ignore the muscle memory we've all built up over the years of using the webbing and introduce a completely new series of actions required to open and retreive a mag. On top of that they used buckles that require fine motor skills to operate and arranged the pouches in sucha  way that you have to go to a fairly drastically different part of the vest to retreive every new mag. The pouches aren't even on the same plane for the love of pete!

Well I died last weekend, twice, trying to wrestle a mag out of my TV (and I was using Ranger plates) while under close contact. I suppose I should spend more time practicing with the TV trying to build up some new muscle memory, then again the "designers" could have thought a little bit about motor skills, legacy muscle memory and stress when they came up with this thing. Somehow they managed to completely ignore the muscle memory we've all built up over the years of using the webbing and introduce a completely new series of actions required to open and retreive a mag. On top of that they used buckles that require fine motor skills to operate and arranged the pouches in sucha  way that you have to go to a fairly drastically different part of the vest to retreive every new mag. The pouches aren't even on the same plane for the love of pete!

Would having the clips undone make it much easier to take out a mag? This way, one must only pull at the velcro in order to open the mag pouch...I've tried it a few times and it seems to work.  It would be a good idea to undo all the clips if you know you're about to be engaged and expecting it...the velcro should stop the mags from falling out if you do have to run or drop.

I think the greater problem is not taking the mags out, but putting them back in during an unload.  Its a pain trying to fit them into that tiny mag pouch slot, so I just dump them into my left leg pocket...which has recently become much harder to do because of the higher ups decision to make us attach our respirators to our tacs  :mad: Ah well...

Honestly though, it boggles the mind to figrue out why they couldn't have doubled the size of the mag pouches so that you could fit two into one pouch.  I mean come on, it's so simple of a design enhancement and it would double the carrying load...why the hell not?!

Actually they were undone which is how I have them most of the time, they are pretty much impossible to undo under stress, expescially if you are wearing gloves. I think they will get someone killed for real one day. Part of the problem I neglected to mention was the miles200 harness, radio cables etc getting in the way. It doesn't help that I have a large vest and the mag pouches usually end up under my armpits somewhere. Either way I am not a fan of the layout of the mag pouches OR the buckles.

As to your point about the mag pouches, you have to understand that the vest was designed to be worn such that NO weight is on the hips (where the belt for the ruck is meant to go) and as such the weight had to be kept to a minimum (that is my understanding of hte matter anyway, I could be wrong). Besides which the doctrine (at hte time) called for five mags. What are you gonna do? The army spent it's allowance, the best they can do now is allow for aftermarket kit.

I agree witht he point about spent mags, I've been eyeing dump pouches lately. I might just make my own.

no problem using thigh mag pouches are there? I know that some have complained that the thigh holster si a psin over long distances, and i would imagine that this would be a problem as well. However this may be a nice alternative keeping the mags down and away from the TV.

A quote from one of the Delta boys (basicload) on Lightfigher:
I used to run a leg bag or leg panel, but after OEF-1, I quit using them unless I was on a hit.

I actually removed my SDS leg panel while on a mission (in order to lay on my side while prone) and ended up leaving it on target. I gave the enemy 2X 5.56 mags, one banger, 2 flex linears, and my personal 5 megapixel digital camera.

So I learned my lesson the hard way. I don't even carry my 6004 unless I just don't have any space on the vest for my pistol.

I can see the positive points of some of these guys uses of drop leg rigs (the Hummer turret is an excellent example), but for me, I try and stay away from them if I can help it.

and the thread in question on droploads
http://lightfighter.net/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/2106044761/m/458103067/r/109106167#109106167

I ran a TCC bag on my left and my 6004 on my right - but after awhile I moved the TCC bag to my day bag.  As well we had some guys wearing M203 pouches as a subload - but after a little walking most where moving it up or putting it in day bag.
A pistol is about 2.5lbs - or the weight of two loaded mags (ish) - any much more ona  leg and it get s uncomfortable for wearing over a long period of time in my experience.  I also found that it was impossible to drive the Gwagon or the SUV's with the TCC bag in place on my leg.

I know most are geting sick of my bad mouthing the TV but I found that the pouch setup and layout is not compatible with an effective layout - the subload is another band-aid good for some roles but not for others

YMMV

Cheers

Kevin

I recently purchased a set of the "accessory panels" that dropzone produces for the TV. Basically the panel is covered in PALS and attaches onto the velcro panels on the side of the vest with velcro and clips. The panel is slightly (2 PALS channels) larger than the side panel of the vest , there are loops on the panel to run the adjustment straps at the back of the TV through. Although, again as Kevin stated, this is a bandaid it is an excellant concept. It allows you to increase the carrying capacity of the vest quite easily. I am currently running a large bren gun pouch on each side, and still have room for a gps pouch on on of the panels and my bayonet and a surefire pocket on the other. Additionally it allows you to add mag pouches (3 double stacks per side), or 40mm pouches. It rides quite well, and doesnt overly change the appearance of the vest. I am trying to track down a digi cam to take some pictures of my setup. At $49 for the set of panels its not a bad deal.

PhilB,

Could you show us a picture of your TV with these access panels?

As far as add-on's go, I've begun thinking about putting the issued US canteen pouch somewhere on the TV.  This would help just about everyone, especially C9 gunners, as now you could have two C-9 pouches for ammo/utilities and a canteen (soft skin) as well.  If only I could figure out how to attach the ALICE clips to the TV...

another glitch would be the lack of 9mm pistol holster

We have holsters, they come with the pistol. If you've ever been issued/actually seen one you'd know that.

Actualy Britney, last time I was issued a pistol I was told "sorry but there is a shortage of holsters in theater so just make do without one".

2332Piper said:
How so? Not everyone has/needs one. And while I'm no expert, I would say drawing your weapon from the thigh is easier and quicker then reaching up to your vest (I could very well be wrong, but its often a matter of personal preference). Although again, issues arise when travelling any major distance.

I would rephrase your statement to say that 'the TV needs to be modular'.
TV is modular, but not as the good old 82pat. webbing

Back