• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issued Tac Vest

Should we go with Tac Vest or Old Style Webbing or MOLLE/PAL or nothing

• Tac Vest

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • Webbing

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Molle, Pal, Custom

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • nothing

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • webbing?

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
I cant beleive it how people are doing that. Like doesnt it hurt to start running and have it flapping around, or has anyone that still has that thought it through. Most people I have seen use the extra utility/C9 pouch to do this with.

It's only rain gear budz, if anything ints nice and cofmy, a lot easier to get your gear back in and besides when you carry the C9, you kinda need that pouch.

Carried one through roto 0 in Kabul and we never bothered with butt packs. Just use both C-9 pouches.  :cdn:

the tac vest is good for somethings but overall if i had the choice id use my webbing agaiin, alot simpler, could hold more, the jump coy here in 3VP still uses webbing along with recce, they cant jump wearing the tacvest, at least thats the reason they give, i always figured you could simply rig it to your ruck

doesn't tac vest work a little better for you when you are carrying ruck? or hyrdation pack?

Depends on your preference...

I find that the 64 ruck (with skeleton 82 frame) doesn't ride as well on the vest because the buttpack isn't there to support the bottom (thus letting the weight ride on your hips on the 82 pattern web belt instead of on your shoulders.) This is because the new ruck comes with a waist belt system to distribute the weight to your hips. As for hydration packs, the vest is great for these (you can use a Camelback underneath it, attach one to the back panel or even just use the canteen straw with the 2 QT in a C9 pouch.

But what it comes down to is preference...try some ideas out to see what works for you

I just threw my old webbing belt in the ruck as a waist belt and found that worked well.

JimmyPeOn said:
I just threw my old webbing belt in the ruck as a waist belt and found that worked well.

good idea, i might give that a try...

if you still want webbing but had to turn it in go to a good surplus shop (eg.abc in kitchener).it's $90 for a youk,butt pack,canteen/canteen pouch,belt,and 2 c7 pouches that conect to your youk and about $6-20 bucks for pouches.
personaly i like webbing better so you can costomise for op's.the only disadvantages of webbing are the plastic loop/cloth pin system and the pain in the ars it takes to take off and put on the pouches espesialy when the brass rings fall off :mad:

ramrod said:
personaly i like webbing better so you can costomise for op's.the only disadvantages of webbing are the plastic loop/cloth pin system and the pain in the ars it takes to take off and put on the pouches espesialy when the brass rings fall off :mad:

And you'd know this from what, playing airsoft?  ::)

ya'll don't have to get snarky about any thing!i'm just saying webbing is better!

the tactical vest will really be a great piece of kit once the rest of the Load carrying Equipment comes out, the small pack system and the new ruck, but IMHO i think the tact vest is already a great piece of kit, i always hear ppl crying about rain gear, oh my...god forbid you get a lil wet... buy a nuke bag....

but IMHO i think the tact vest is already a great piece of kit, i always hear ppl crying about rain gear, oh my...god forbid you get a lil wet... buy a nuke bag....

On this forum there have been some great debates on the tacvest especially relating to how the lack of space available hinders combat soldiers in the ammount of mission essential equipment they can carry.

Depending on a nukebag is great, unless your carrying around a rucksack for a week +. (and the CQ isn't kind enough to take them during the day heh)
Guys who pack their nuke bags full of shit spend a lot of time pissing around with it trying to hook it up to their rucksack and trying to go on a march with a rucksack on their back and a nukeback hanging off their chest. They look like mules.

ramrod said:
ya'll don't have to get snarky about any thing!i'm just saying webbing is better!

I wasn't getting snarky, just don't post on something you know nothing about. Have you used both webbing and a tacvest on operation, or at least a field ex? If not, then your jugement that "webbing is better" doesn't hold much water.

I've been reading this thread with interest, as I've yet to be issued a tac vest and am hoping to learn its pros and cons while I wait for my turn. I suggest you do the same.

CF_MacAulay said:
i always hear ppl crying about rain gear, oh my...god forbid you get a lil wet... buy a nuke bag....

Yes...people are whining about the Raingear; and spare socks, food, water, ammo, and pretty much anything else that's mission essential. LMG and GPMG gunners especially get screwed over by having to compromise how kit is carried. But this has been stated hundreds of times; since the Small Pack (for Reservists, anyway) won't be available for a while to replace the butt pack we miss so much, we have to address the issue ourselves. A nuke bag may be the only some people have; not all of us have a couple hundred bucks to shell out for a better bag and if you have to look like an idiot to get the job done, so be it. The bottom line is we still have to be able to live out of our tac vest for 24 hours; the Vest was only designed for immediate combat and water supply (and even then it somewhat fails at that purpose.) As for no Rain Gear being a petty complaint, consider this: How will your Platoon Commander be able to read a map with red light in Enemy Territory if he has no Rain Coat to keep proper light discipline? Rain gear isn't always about keeping dry, at least that's why I was taught to always have mine on me...

And thats the difference between a corporal and a recruit, i guess.

I apologize if I seemed to rant a little :mad:; the tac vest has been a very controversial piece of kit since my unit was issued the thing.

I agree that the vest is a good piece of kit (in terms of issued kit for support arms) that improves load carriage for urban or mechanised operations but for combat arms it just doesn't completely fit the bill IMO. It all depends on your trade and/or usually type of work in said trade; for my trade there are a lot of issues that make the vest a downgrade compared to the webbing. But that's for reading in another post suh as http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23363.0.html.

Like Sig Bloggins was saying, he wants to learn the pros and cons of the vest for himself; I guess it's best to let others do so.

i apologize if i was sounding like i was a know it all.i was just speaking my opinion. :salute:

My comfort level in the field has gone down with the Tac vest.  However unilike the webbing, it does not seem to fall apart whenever I do any rigurous activity.

I like my TV more than my webbing.

CF_MacAulay said:
the tactical vest will really be a great piece of kit once the rest of the Load carrying Equipment comes out, the small pack system and the new ruck, but IMHO i think the tact vest is already a great piece of kit, i always hear ppl crying about rain gear, oh my...god forbid you get a lil wet... buy a nuke bag....

Based on your incredible experience in the CF  ::)

Back