• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jeffrey Epstein, found in his prison cell.

Retired AF Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This will keep the conspiracy theorists busy!

Jeffrey Epstein, accused sex trafficker, is dead by apparent suicide, found in his Manhattan jail cell

Aug. 10, 2019, 9:19 AM EDT / Updated Aug. 10, 2019, 11:36 AM EDT
By Tom Winter, Jonathan Dienst and Phil McCausland

Jeffrey Epstein, the millionaire financier and accused sex trafficker, is dead by apparent suicide, according to three officials familiar with the matter.

Epstein was in his cell but was not on suicide watch at the time of his death, multiple people familiar with the investigation told NBC News.

His death comes a little over two weeks ago after he was found injured and in a fetal position in his cell at the federal Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan. He was semiconscious with marks on his neck at the time.

In July, two sources told NBC News that Epstein was on suicide watch.

His death also comes one day after a trove of court documents were unsealed providing new details about Epstein's alleged sex trafficking.

Less than 24 hours after the documents were released, officials told NBC News that Epstein, 66, was found unresponsive in his jail cell at 6:30 a.m. ET. He had apparently hanged himself.

Epstein, who was being held on federal sex trafficking charges, was transported Saturday morning from the jail to a hospital in Lower Manhattan. Upon arrival, he was in cardiac arrest, people familiar with the matter say.

The Department of Justice said Epstein was pronounced dead at the hospital. The FBI is investigating his death.

The FBI, which is investigating his death, does not normally look into suicides at a federal Bureau of Prisons facility, but given the nature of this case and out of an “abundance of caution” it has undertaken this probe, a senior law enforcement official said.

There is nothing at this point to suggest foul play in Epstein's death.

NBC News

Someone always has a camera,
https://nypost.com/2019/08/10/photos-show-jeffrey-epstein-as-hes-wheeled-into-downtown-hospital/?utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true#content-wrapper

I can't wait to see Reddit blow up over this.  The political subs are going to be busy today.

Conspiracy theorists are going to go nuts.
Time to buy shares in Alcan.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Clintonized

Hamish Seggie said:
Conspiracy theorists are going to go nuts.
Time to buy shares in Alcan.

Trump aide Patton floats baseless conspiracy theory in Epstein suicide: ‘Hillary’d’
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-patton-pushes-conspiracy-theory-epstein-suicide-20190810-qrokjw3k3jgu7lzypnpaqtxdky-story.html

This development is pretty darned convenient for alot of people.

How, exactly, does a guy, in prison, on suicide watch (presumably under 24hr surveillance) manage to hang himself?

SeaKingTacco said:
How, exactly, does a guy, in prison, on suicide watch (presumably under 24hr surveillance) manage to hang himself?

Epstein wasn't on suicide watch at time of his death: reports
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/456960-epstein-wasnt-on-suicide-watch-at-time-of-his-death-reports

SeaKingTacco said:

We have guys on watch all the time. The psych people speak with them and most are off watch after a week or so. They are not on a permanent watch.

Hamish Seggie said:
We have guys on watch all the time. The psych people speak with them and most are off watch after a week or so. They are not on a permanent watch.

Even then, no guarantees. Ashley Smith killed herself while under suicide watch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Smith_inquest

Her family brought a lawsuit against Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) for negligence. They settled out of court for $11 million.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ashley-smith-family-settles-11m-suit-1.1003660

Jack Donson, a former longtime federal Bureau of Prisons case manager, told NBC News that suicide watch in federal lockup "usually only lasts a few days to week" due to the amount of manpower the 24-hour surveillance entails.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prison-experts-are-stunned-angry-jeffrey-epstein-was-taken-suicide-n1041121
"It requires staff to do overtime shifts," Donson said, and is "not considered a good use of resources."

Epstein had been placed in the MCC's Special Housing Unit instead of general population for his own safety, given his notoriety, and Donson noted that incidents of suicide are higher in the SHU.

"You're isolated with your own thoughts," he said, "and it's not as monitored and supervised."

Guards are supposed to check on prisoners every 30 minutes, but sometimes aren't diligent about doing so, Donson said, and regardless, inmates "can do themselves a lot of harm in 30 minutes."

He also raised the question of whether Epstein was in a cell with a camera, because some cells in the MCC have them. Officials will also review the range camera outside the cell to make sure guards had indeed been checking on him.

SeaKingTacco said:

Being on suicide watch doesn't necessarily mean someone is watching him, and only him 24/7. It means the correctional officer would likely check his cell every 15 minutes (normally a correctional officer does his/her wind/count every hour)  But placing an offender under suicide watch would be in addition to all other duties/responsibilities the officer has on his/her shift.  He/she still needs to check on other inmates
How often a cell is checked is usually determined by psychologists etc who dealt with the offender.
BTW this is based on my experience working for the Correctional Service of Canada for 29 years, including a few years as a Correctional Officer

Tom

And 'constant watch' [one CO to one offender} is freakin' costly.  I did figure with such a high-profile inmate, with lots of people who'd want him gone, he'd be on it.  At the minimum in baby dolls and security blankets. I know where he'd be stashed away here in Ontario, and between the cameras and the Officer sitting in the diamond right outside his window door, very little chance this could have happened.

SeaKingTacco said:

Because there is a God?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
And 'constant watch' [one CO to one offender} is freakin' costly.  I did figure with such a high-profile inmate, with lots of people who'd want him gone, he'd be on it.  At the minimum in baby dolls and security blankets. I know where he'd be stashed away here in Ontario, and between the cameras and the Officer sitting in the diamond right outside his window door, very little chance this could have happened.

Especially when you consider that back in mid-July he was found in his cell, injured. Whether suicide attempt, attack or self-inflicted no one knows or at least not talking.

Blackadder1916 said:
Because there is a God?

Something tells me the paramedics who had to work him up weren't too enthusiastic about it.

I expect there will be civil lawsuits against his estate in the weeks ahead.

NBC

Trump retweets Epstein conspiracy theory, claiming Clinton connection
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-retweets-epstein-conspiracy-theory-claiming-clinton-connection-n1041146?cid=public-rss_20190810

SeaKingTacco said:

Not going to lie, got a little tin foil hat myself when I heard this. He was moving in the kind of circles doing super sketchy things where there are billionaires implicated. Don't care about him, but hopefully they keep digging and get some of the others.

Don't seriously think someone had him killed, but definitely hampers any investigation.  Big difference between a rumour and having him testify in court against them.

Weird for Trump to start tweeting conspiracy theories when he's just as smeared by this as anyone else. I'm sure there is all kinds of things already going about him having him killed.

Navy_Pete said:
Not going to lie, got a little tin foil hat myself when I heard this. He was moving in the kind of circles doing super sketchy things where there are billionaires implicated. Don't care about him, but hopefully they keep digging and get some of the others.

Don't seriously think someone had him killed, but definitely hampers any investigation.  Big difference between a rumour and having him testify in court against them.

Weird for Trump to start tweeting conspiracy theories when he's just as smeared by this as anyone else. I'm sure there is all kinds of things already going about him having him killed.

Rich, powerful, corrupt and sketchy.. maybe he just weighed his odds and decided suicide was best. Chose his way out, on his terms at his time.

I could see a lot of headache and heartaches for those he loved or who loved him and in order to minimize that he killed himself? Lived the high life to long, hurting to many people and now that reality set in and he was looking at a crappy end of his life.. he ended it sooner. Possibly to reduce risk from corrupt billionaires too.. if you are a tin foil guy... I'm more in favor he was just mentally unstable.

Abdullah

Epstein's death has set off an investigation.His cell had no cctv according to initial reports. Civil lawsuits will continue against his estate. An attorney who has been involved with similar deaths in custody that it should be treated as a homicide until evidence conclusively points to suicide. I guess that's a wise precaution. Just wait for the FBI report as he died in Federal custody.

Navy_Pete said:
Big difference between a rumour and having him testify in court against them.

Assuming he did kill himself, talk about a good friend.  :)

"Don't worry about anything, Frankie Five Angels."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-PGJpKQZg

AbdullahD said:
Rich, powerful, corrupt and sketchy.. maybe he just weighed his odds and decided suicide was best. Chose his way out, on his terms at his time.

I could see a lot of headache and heartaches for those he loved or who loved him and in order to minimize that he killed himself? Lived the high life to long, hurting to many people and now that reality set in and he was looking at a crappy end of his life.. he ended it sooner. Possibly to reduce risk from corrupt billionaires too.. if you are a tin foil guy... I'm more in favor he was just mentally unstable.

Abdullah

No, I assume that he looked at a life in prison as a child molester and did it himself. Robs his victims of justice, but hopefully with the FBI investigation the freeze his assets so they don't get dispersed before they can sue his estate.

There is a whole cult of 9/11 theorists that think that was some kind of inside job with an unbelievably elaborate scenario, so offing someone in jail to cover pedo billionaires is a pretty obvious one for them to run with. Also not outside the realm of possibility as stranger things have happened, but seems more complicated then him being a coward.

Back