• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jetstream - The Series

Zoomie said:
We don't use Jep products in Canada - we produce our own FLIPs and maps.

Some fleets use Jep products, Griffon being one of them as an MPS feed for VOR and ILS.

Cheers
G2G

The transport community uses Jeppesen approach plates quite a bit.
We have a published heirarchy regarding what type of approach plates we can use, and although Jepps are at the bottom of the list we are sometimes left with nothing else.
We then get the ICP school involved to help us "TERP" the plates.

We also use Jeppesen flight planning and dispatching services ............. a lot.
There's really no other easy way to file through Eurocontrol without Jeppesen services.

Globesmasher said:
The transport community uses Jeppesen approach plates quite a bit.
We have a published heirarchy regarding what type of approach plates we can use, and although Jepps are at the bottom of the list we are sometimes left with nothing else.
We then get the ICP school involved to help us "TERP" the plates.

We also use Jeppesen flight planning and dispatching services ............. a lot.
There's really no other easy way to file through Eurocontrol without Jeppesen services.

Interesting.  How do "normal" operators file usually??  Also through Jepp?

Max

Since we were discussing paper Jep products (ie FLIPs) and not the digital type (GPS data card, Jet Plan, etc) - my point still stands for in-Canada use.  Every unit will have a set of Jep plates somewhere on their dusty shelves.

Another great show!! Man, it makes me happy that i`m a helicopter man! ;D >:D

volition said:
Another great show!! Man, it makes me happy that i`m a helicopter man! ;D >:D

I agree, I hope Shamus picks up his act, and its sad about Lewis, but I guess thats the way it goes.

SPOILER ALERT!!

I think Lewis eventually makes it through, since he's currently listed at 409 Sqn as  pilot.

Strike said:
SPOILER ALERT!!

I think Lewis eventually makes it through, since he's currently listed at 409 Sqn as  pilot.

well they did mention might be able to take another course later on

Strike said:
SPOILER ALERT!!

He did the G-desensitization course on the Tutors at AETE and then recoursed onto the next serial (and passed).

MedTech said:
why are we all whispering?

So that people that did not wish to be spoiled by what was being said wouldn't be

Great program. I was afraid it was going to be dumbed down for the "viewing public" but as soon as they got into flying it has been greaaaat.  :)

Curiosity... last night they seemed to imply that one more of the group was going to fail?? Anyone else get that?

Thing I am finding a bit surprising, I have been around jets for a long long time but I am still learning small details I didn't know or never fully appreciated. Such as jet fighters have high wing loading and that explains the need for afterburners and also the shitty glide ratio.
When I took trips in the CF-101 Voodoo we had an approach speed of around 160 if I recall correctly and that is also the approach speed of the CF-18 ? In the program they say it is because it was designed for carrier landings but high wing loading would seem also to be a big part of it.

Bottom line I am very pleased with the production.

Oh ya one last thought to pass onto you aircrew types ref the comment you should treat groundcrew right or they could "break"  your a/c.
This is extremely rare, more like it in my experience is treat us right and when you screw up we will do our best to save your a**. Ya it happens!  ;D

Baden  Guy said:
Oh ya one last thought to pass onto you aircrew types ref the comment you should treat groundcrew right or they could "break"  your a/c.
This is extremely rare, more like it in my experience is treat us right and when you screw up we will do our best to save your a**. Ya it happens!  ;D

Works both ways. Technicians who act like a**holes towards the aircrews often find themselves with a shift full of snags to fix when the aircraft returns. Yeah , i cant go flying unless you fix my plane but thats not a liscence to act like a total jacka** !! If i dont fly, you dont have a job.

Baden  Guy said:
Curiosity... last night they seemed to imply that one more of the group was going to fail?? Anyone else get that?

If I had to guess I would say Shamus, as from what I can see he keeps making critical mistakes.

JBoyd said:
If I had to guess I would say Shamus, as from what I can see he keeps making critical mistakes.

i would like to see how you would do in his place

::)

JBoyd said:

JBoyd, I find, from my personal experience, that they (the producers) make it sound like every little thing is critical, which isn't always the case.  Yes, missing checks is a big deal.  But that's training.  Training is where you make mistakes.  We are expected to make mistakes!  Keep in mind that people going at 410 from the pipeline have approximately 350 hrs total time.  And they put you in a fighter aircraft (if you don't know, as a matter of comparison, Air Canada doesn't hire people below 2500 hours and they put them in the right seat).  Also keep in mind that the course is only 90 hours long and you are acting as the Aircraft Captain.  There is a lot pressure to do stuff quickly and to do it good.

Have confidence in the training system.  It makes good pilots and believe me, the instructors are very critical of the students' work.  They will nail you on every little mistake you make.

JBoyd said:

I know who fails off but I'm NOT saying! It's definitely NOT Shamus. For all the twitching that guy does, he is an amazing pilot.

CDN Aviator said:
i would like to see how you would do in his place

::)

Holy crap, lighten up, Francis.... He's talking about a TV show.  Ever yell at a hockey ref on tv?  I'd like to see you do better....eeeesh. 

Back