• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining Class A Res after 4 yrs out from 11 1/2 years Reg

keaner

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking at joining the Reserves as a Class "A" after four (boring) years as a civvie. I was Reg for 11 1/2 years till I toasted my ankle and got punted 3b. I'm having trouble finding much detailed info on my obligations - QR&O 9.06 if pretty vague.
I'm also wondering if anyone has any experience with getting back in after being punted for medical; specifially, what impact did it have on your pensions, what problems did you have passing the Medical exam....?
Finally, there were no MOC 434 FCS in the Res when I retired and I see they now have MOC EO Tech 431....are any of the readers employed in that trade? How do I find out wheich units have this trade?.

Any help is appreciated,

Arte et Marte

Bump

Nobody can tell me anything about Class A Reserves?? I could really use some input.

Have you talked to a potential Res F unit yet?  Or CFRC?  I suspect your chances are not good. If your release medical category was less then the common enrollment medical standard (V4 CV3 H2 G2 O2 A5) for your 3(b) release and nothing has changed medically, it is unlikely that you are eligible to rejoin.

all in all, if you are released 3B then you might have a problem

Is it possible you got put on the Supplementary reserve when you got out of the Regs?
Reason I'm asking is that a med category justifying a 3b (and med pension rights) might prevent you from being enrolled into the Primary reserve.  BUT.. there was nothing preventing you from transfering to the Supp List  (even with a 3b).

There are new regs on "universality of service" that requires you to be fit to join and train but, they don't aply to the Supp list (there it's only an issue of employability) and the Cadet mouvement....

yeah - the CIC and the ex regs & ex reservists who support them aren't subject to said universality of service.............

If you're on the sup list, it would be possible to get some temporary assignments...... for you to look into.

I did some initial poking around by calling the Recruiting Office, they told me it shouldn't matter as long as I can pass the medical testing. The actual restrictions aren't really the issue; as it was explained to me the CO of whatever unit I choose to join would have to decide if he wanted to take someone on who wasn't 100% medically fit. Truth is, I could pass the expres test when I was medically released!! (long story  :threat:)
Basically, I am looking to stay connected to the CF though part time employment with no desire to go overseas (been there more than once, done it etc.) and was told Class A was the way to go.

well good luck to ya.
from the perspective of someone who has to deal with the processing of invaildity claims for reservists in LFQA I can tell you that there would be hell to pay if someone already with a 3B category got injured again............

Pvt.Bloggins said:
I did some initial poking around by calling the Recruiting Office, they told me it shouldn't matter as long as I can pass the medical testing. The actual restrictions aren't really the issue; as it was explained to me the CO of whatever unit I choose to join would have to decide if he wanted to take someone on who wasn't 100% medically fit.

The CO of a Reserve unit has no say in how your medical status affects your enrollment.  The final decision will be made in Borden by the doctors at CFRG.

- IF your injury has healed sufficiently that your category can be upgraded; and

- IF you can demonstrate that injury that caused your 3b release will no longer result in any Medical Employment Limitations (MEL); and

- IF you can pass the CF EXPRES Test (not just once, but every year. Reserves now have to do it yearly, just like Regs)

you just may have a chance.

Back