• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Meanwhile, me in my Smartwool long underwear at high altitude ;)

Amy Sedaris Beer GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris
Not sure if aircrew still get issued the Stanfields long undies for extreme cold, but those were great.

Wool is the only material that will keep you warm when soaking wet.

I haven't tried the low temp end, and likely never will, of the US sleep system I have.

I got a brand new system with all the bags etc for just under $100 US at a military show in Ohio.

It is very well planned out and from some limited use appears to be capable of everything stated on the label.

Wool is the only material that will keep you warm when soaking wet.

I haven't tried the low temp end, and likely never will, of the US sleep system I have.

I got a brand new system with all the bags etc for just under $100 US at a military show in Ohio.

It is very well planned out and from some limited use appears to be capable of everything stated on the label.
pure wool, yes, but most wool products are maybe 60% and it is the synthetics that chill you out

pure wool, yes, but most wool products are maybe 60% and it is the synthetics that chill you out
Agreed - the key is knowing what you have, and what it is useful for.

Too many companies offer entire lines of gear, but tend to only offer a few really good items in their portfolios.
If I'm buying wool, only stuff tagged 100% Merino wool goes in my cart.

I love the stuff — but for certain things wool/synthetic mixes are great, for they can offer moisture wicking and durability greater than solid wool, but at a cost of insulating value when damp. The key is again what do you want this item for…

Equipping a Multi-Purpose force is extremely expensive (I avoid General Purpose as that tends to mean average). As many items will need to be duplicated to provide for the extremes on either end, as well as acquisition of enough of those items that things can be rotated and replaced as needed.

Easy for those who’ve done it multiple times you mean.
That might have been my third or fourth. The previous ones were for five or six people (Scouts), with block walls, and saplings and a piece of poly for the roof (covered with loose snow for insulation). We also used snow trenches and tree wells. At some point one of the leaders showed us how to construct an igloo, and it was simple enough I remembered and replicated the task 20 years later during a winter indoc exercise. They ain't difficult.

That might have been my third or fourth. The previous ones were for five or six people (Scouts), with block walls, and saplings and a piece of poly for the roof (covered with loose snow for insulation). We also used snow trenches and tree wells. At some point one of the leaders showed us how to construct an igloo, and it was simple enough I remembered and replicated the task 20 years later during a winter indoc exercise. They ain't difficult.
It isn’t difficult if you have the correct snow conditions, which takes experience to recognize. Some snow conditions result in useless materials that are easy to see that won’t work and you need to end up making your own snow/slush mix.

But other snow conditions result in a really granular snow/ice that can get cut into blocks via a snow knife - and while it can appear good will flay apart with winds and leave you open and unprepared. (Ask me how I know).

In the ideal world you have time to upgrade it and make snowcrete walls etc.

Back