• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"KAF is more than an oasis of brewed coffee and hot pizza"

PMedMoe said:
I guess I really missed the point then.  I thought the article was in response to Jessica Leeder's blog on the G&M where she almost likens KAF to a resort in Cuba.

Hey I remember some pretty crappy "resorts" in Cuba in the early 1990's right after the Soviets pulled out and before the Cubans started ramping up their tourism industry.  8)

Not surprised the G&M has closed the comments section on that one.

G & M comment boards usually represent the worst opinions of the worst Canadians. I'm pleased with the civility here given the direction this thread could easily have gone into. I didn't spend much time at KAF but I didn't like the place. It was big, smelly, and somehow the dust was of a lower quality than the ubiquitous moon dust of Afghanistan. That being said, I liked being able to have a coffee at the NAAFI, and at Green Bean. Its only logical that the main hub would have more amenities than other places. KAF was nicer than FMG, FMG was nicer that the other FOBs (in theory) FOBs are nicer than patrol bases, and patrol bases are nicer than COPs and strong points. That is the nature of logistics, and it works the same back home. I'm from Grande Prairie and sometimes we have runs on smokes and beer, and gasoline always costs more than it does in Edmonton. I think some of the Kafonian resentment was directed towards people that seemed to lack a purpose, but I'd wager for every idle body or redundant position at KAF there was 9 others working hard, again, I am stating my opinion. I would like to give a shout out to the fine Dental staff at the role 3 for coming in after hours with all due haste to sort me out.

Well then, let me dof my cap to all the Engineers that made the KAF what it is today. Great work! I've never been there,and never will. But it sounds like a remarkable achievement. Ubique

I was a Lav Gunner on TF1-06. I had never been really "concerned" with my own safety ever, even during fire fights. I was driving with a Truck Driver in a HL as his co-pilot and he was telling me how their convoys always got hit by IEDs.  For some reason I spent the next 12 hours clutching my seatbelt, staring out that little slit of the window realizing if I was hit with a rpg, I couldn't return fire and I was a dead man. While he was chill just chill sipping redbulls.  Lets just say I came back from that road move with mad respect for my brothers and sisters who do that every day. 

Back