• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Killing Canadians 'best way': student

My thing is, If this guy is in universiry, how is he paying for it? Dose he take OSAP or any other goverment susidy program so he can rant all he wants? Thats something to look into..

There's a pretty loud furor starting up about this guy on Facebook, which is where these things are taken up amongst students. The student council and the school are looking into it, though I'm not sure what options they have.

Knowing how these councils usually are, they might even offer him a job or promote him somehow. Either way, I would not be suprised if he is going to be the victim, and all of us seen as Redneck baby killers.

Wes

I sat on two of these councils..... at Seneca and Sheridan

It all depends on the council. 

In the very least, by reading the rules of the Muslim Student Union group that he belongs
to, he has violated the spirit and rules of the group and could be asked to leave. The only
other thing the council(s) (UTM and UofT) could do is condemn his speech.

I'm more interested to see in what the university's opinion is on the issue.

Here is an official response from the student Union (Not sure how official it is) but its from the Vice President!

Walied Khogali (University of Toronto) wrote on Feb 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM.
As a student union, we will forever acknowledge and encourage free speech, but there is a difference between free speech demonstrating disapproval and free speech inciting the killing of others. As a union, we cannot support anyone suggesting the murder of others.

Here's the facebook group too if anyone is interested :
Expel or Suspend Salman Hossain
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21795853896

Dave Murphy said:
Here is an official response from the student Union (Not sure how official it is) but its from the Vice President!

Walied Khogali (University of Toronto) wrote on Feb 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM.
As a student union, we will forever acknowledge and encourage free speech, but there is a difference between free speech demonstrating disapproval and free speech inciting the killing of others. As a union, we cannot support anyone suggesting the murder of others.

Here's the facebook group too if anyone is interested :
Expel or Suspend Salman Hossain
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21795853896

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't seem to get a link to the group that worked.

Flip said:
If we accept your premise, we might infer that immigration has occurred at a faster rate
than naturalization or the adjustment to Canadian values.  In Canada we have been fortunate, thus far with our particular version of multiculturalism. In Europe, however
there is an emergence of some difficulty.............
I REALLY hope I'm not going to far here.  ;D
You would be infering correctly and you summed it up eloquently.

U of T Muslim Mississauga Association statement

http://time.yourpersonalhost.com/~utm1msa/Mambo/
Written by Administrator 
Saturday, 02 February 2008

The UTM Muslim Students Association would like to correct recent misinformation in the media regarding Mr. Salman Hossain. The individual in question is not, and was not a member of the UTM Muslim Students Association and his views and remarks are in no way a reflection of the UTM Muslim Students Association, implicitly or explicitly.

I've heard of this before.  "Plausible Deniability".

Everyone is now starting to distance themselves from him.

tkp_mack said:
This is just my opinion, no facts.

My thoughts: as now is the trend in Toronto - minority brings attention to themselves with stupid acts that in reality and in the past would have been punished. (I can only speak of Toronto because this is where I live right now.) 
Example: I only ask my neighbor to close her door so the fire department won’t come out yet again for a false alarm because of the spices she uses for cooking and I’m screeched at that I’m a racist. And I better shut my pie-hole or I will be in court in a blink for verbal assault.

I’m not saying they don’t have the right to free speech. All I’m saying is that the balance of living together in peace has been tipped over and is fast escalating to something that might be hard to stop in the future.
Please do not generalize the behaviour of all minorities based on this bad apple and other anecdotal encounters that you have had. I am one of many minority members of the Canadian Forces Reserves, in Toronto, and speaking for myself at least, I do not appreciate your lumping us in with Salman Hossain and your oversensitive neighbour.

I am as disgusted as you are by Hossain. Probably more, in fact, because I attend the University of Toronto also. While I agree with others who have posted already that the RCMP should be allowed discretion in prosecuting Hossain, I do wish the University would expel him. Allowing Hossain to stay brings disrepute to the University and all those who attend it, something I would not want even if I did not have personal grievances against Hossain as a CF member.

And with that final post, I think we can sum this thread up.  9 pages so far, everyone has had the chance to voice an opinion.  Running it any further will just be circling this particular mulberry bush.  Locked

If anyone has anything new, insightful or relevant to add, please ask a mod to unlock.

The Army.ca staff

Breaking News reported by milnewstbay.

From The Charlatan
Thu Feb 28
RCMP investigates student 

by Jessica Bruno   

A University of Toronto student is being investigated for incitement and facilitating terrorism after the RCMP decided his online posts went too far.

On an Internet comment board, political science student Salman Hossain said he supports militant jihad overseas, made anti-Semitic statements and called Canadian soldiers “legitimate targets to be killed.”

In one post, Hossain describes downloading videos of western soldiers being killed and showing it to other Muslims on the University of Toronto’s Mississauga (UTM) campus. Those students told him to stop, but he persisted, saying “Allahu Akhbar” or “God is great” every time a casualty was depicted.

“We do not support his repugnant world view,” said Walied Khogali, president of the campus student union. Khogali has also written to university officials, asking them to look into investigating Hossain if appropriate.

“The University of Toronto Mississauga takes matters of this nature very seriously and is co-operating fully with the appropriate police authorities,” said a spokesperson for the university.

When asked if Hossain would face disciplinary action, the university declined to comment, citing its privacy policy.

The Charlatan also attempted to contact Hossain for comment, but did not receive a response.

In a statement released on its website, the Muslim Students Association at UTM distanced itself from Hossain, stating he has never been a member, and that Hossain’s views in no way reflect its own.

After the situation was made public, there was a “Unity through Diversity” week, which Khogali said has hopefully served to reassure students.

Khogali said his first experience with Hossain was two years ago at a university student’s committee meeting. He said Hossain was ejected because of his anti-Semitic, anti-feminist and homophobic views.

Freedom of expression is protected under Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but it is subject to reasonable limits prescribed by law.

Statements made to incite hatred against an identifiable group are an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.

If a court determines Hossain’s remarks fall under that category, he could face time in prison.

Attention drawn to Hossain’s opinions has provoked a passionate response. On the original comment board where he posted, members of the public have written him scathing messages.

There is also a Facebook group, “Expel or Suspend Salman Hossain,” which has more than 700 members.

One member, Cpl. Brian Harding, is a Carleton student and Canadian Forces reservist who has volunteered to serve in Afghanistan this August.

Currently in New Mexico for training, he said he first heard of Hossain through word of mouth, as the story spread quickly throughout the military.  Views like those of Hossain, Harding said, make it easier for Canadians to “differentiate the dangerous few” from the majority of Muslims.

“All Mr. Hossain has accomplished is to remind us that we need to be vigilant, not just overseas but at home,” said Harding. “He is merely a reminder that that sentiment is out there, sometimes dormant, sometimes not.”

Breaking News reported by milnews.ca.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act. 

No charges for man's call to kill soldiers

(Link in Title)

Hate Speech Case; Internet postings attacked Jews, denied Holocaust

Stewart Bell, National Post 
Published: Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Toronto man who had posted messages on the Internet supporting terrorist attacks in Canada and the deportation of Jews will not face criminal charges, police said yesterday.

The Ontario Provincial Police hate crimes and extremism unit had been investigating Salman Hossain -- whose writings included a call to kill Western soldiers "so that they think twice before entering foreign countries on behalf of their Jew masters" -- for willfully promoting hatred toward the Jewish community, but the case was recently closed.

"The OPP reviewed the case with Crown counsel. As a result of that review, it was determined that insufficient grounds existed to support willful promotion of hatred charges," said Detective-Sergeant Brent Young.

Police would provide no further explanation. In Ontario, hate-crimes charges must be approved by the Attorney-General. The spokesman for the Ministry said the Attorney-General had not been asked to approve charges in this case.

"The Attorney-General did not reverse any decision. In fact, no direct request was made of the Attorney-General. In accordance with the long-standing procedure for such cases, the matter was carefully reviewed by counsel who determined a request to the Attorney-General was not appropriate in this case," Brendan Crawley said.

The Canadian Jewish Congress said it was "perplexed" by the decision. "We recognize that the bar is set high in terms of not only laying charges, but in terms of gaining a conviction," said Len Rudner, the CJC's Ontario regional director. "But I'm not a lawyer, so when I look at somebody talking about the charge that Western nations invade countries under the control of 'Jew masters,' that concerns me."

Writing in online Internet forums, Mr. Hossain frequently singled out Jews, calling them derogatory names, claiming the Holocaust was "fictional" and once asking, "When do I get to shoot a few Jews down..."

In one posting, Mr. Hossain wrote, "Here's what I suggest we do ... just throw out the Jews (by religion or blood) out of the instruments of mainstream media, finance/banking, government/ politics, and the intelligence/ secret services."

"That's how the Muslims have done it in the past, especially when they were in power and glorious. Leave behind the token Jew here and there just to appear non-discriminatory.

"Then send the Jews packing on a different ship to their own territory or maybe the South Pole to live with the penguins. Do this before they claim we gonna do another 'holocaust.' There's no Jew better than an exile Jew."

Mr. Hossain could not be reached for comment. He said last year that he had only made his comments in private online chat rooms, but the messages can be viewed by anyone using a simple Google search.

The National Post reported in January that the Bangladeshi-Canadian, then a student at the University of Toronto's Mississauga campus, had been approached by the RCMP due to his online activities.

Police apparently took an interest in Mr. Hossain after he posted messages on the Internet about the arrests of several suspects accused of plotting terrorist attacks at a German military base.

"We should do that here in Canada as well," he wrote. "Kill as many Western soldiers as well so that they think twice before entering foreign countries on behalf of their Jew masters ... if there were any planned attacks against Canadian/American soldiers by 'Muslim militants' in Canadian soil, I'd support it."

He continued that Western countries deserved terrorist attacks such as 9/11 and the 2005 transit bombings in London, "cause then they have fear and respect of Muslims."

Mr. Hossain had also chronicled his dealings with police in his online writings. "You can't charge me for possessing a thought," he wrote, adding that he "honestly got a kick out of pissing off the RCMP ... HAHAHA."

In response, Liberal Senator Colin Kenny said Mr. Hossain should be prosecuted to send a message "that talking like that isn't very smart." Mr. Hossain's mother told The Associated Press her son was an "idiot."

University of Toronto students responded with a campaign to have him expelled, but he defended himself, writing that he did not condone violence and that, "I'm tryna wake people up."

Canada's hate crimes laws are rarely used but there have been several recent cases across the country. Last February, Keith Francis William Noble of Prince George, B. C., was convicted over a website that targeted minorities.

In 2006, Reinhard Gustav Mueller of Edmonton, who claimed he received radio signals from space, was sentenced to 16 months for his depictions of Jews on his Internet site.

A fringe political candidate in Ontario was recently charged over anti-gay comments. Last January, former University of Saskatchewan math lecturer Terence Tremaine was charged with promoting hatred over anti-Jewish comments on the Internet. He has pleaded not guilty.

Mr. Rudner said he did not know why the Crown felt the comments of Mr. Hossain did not meet the threshold for criminal prosecution.

OldSoldier said:
There's a better way to take care of this person.

A couple of years ago we went through a phase on Milnet.ca where certain posters' solution to everything was encapsulated in the phrase "kneel down and face the ditch".  It took a lot of effort on the part of the staff, backed by the rational group that collectively understood what Canadian soldiers represent, and who acknowledged that such knee-jerk posting responses did not promote the membership as a group looking to find solutions, to diminish the frequency of those posts.  Now is not the time to return to that posting style or mood.

Milnet.ca Staff

Michael O'Leary said:
A couple of years ago we went through a phase on Milnet.ca where certain posters' solution to everything was encapsulated in the phrase "kneel down and face the ditch".  It took a lot of effort on the part of the staff, backed by the rational group that collectively understood what Canadian soldiers represent, and who acknowledged that such knee-jerk posting responses did not promote the membership as a group looking to find solutions, to diminish the frequency of those posts.  Now is not the time to return to that posting style or mood.

Milnet.ca Staff

That isn't what I meant. Perhaps he should face an HRC? Or maybe the Jewish Congress could take civil action?

OldSoldier said:
That isn't what I meant. Perhaps he should face an HRC? Or maybe the Jewish Congress could take civil action?

It may not be what you intended, but it remained wide open to interpretation by the reader, as shown by the post that followed it.

"The OPP reviewed the case with Crown counsel. As a result of that review, it was determined that insufficient grounds existed to support willful promotion of hatred charges," said Detective-Sergeant Brent Young.

What??  Really??

???

What about this?

Salman Hossain -- whose writings included a call to kill Western soldiers "so that they think twice before entering foreign countries on behalf of their Jew masters"

--------------------------------

Writing in online Internet forums, Mr. Hossain frequently singled out Jews, calling them derogatory names, claiming the Holocaust was "fictional" and once asking, "When do I get to shoot a few Jews down..."

In one posting, Mr. Hossain wrote, "Here's what I suggest we do ... just throw out the Jews (by religion or blood) out of the instruments of mainstream media, finance/banking, government/ politics, and the intelligence/ secret services."

"That's how the Muslims have done it in the past, especially when they were in power and glorious. Leave behind the token Jew here and there just to appear non-discriminatory.

"Then send the Jews packing on a different ship to their own territory or maybe the South Pole to live with the penguins. Do this before they claim we gonna do another 'holocaust.' There's no Jew better than an exile Jew."

"We should do that here in Canada as well," he wrote. "Kill as many Western soldiers as well so that they think twice before entering foreign countries on behalf of their Jew masters ... if there were any planned attacks against Canadian/American soldiers by 'Muslim militants' in Canadian soil, I'd support it."

He continued that Western countries deserved terrorist attacks such as 9/11 and the 2005 transit bombings in London, "cause then they have fear and respect of Muslims."

Mr. Hossain had also chronicled his dealings with police in his online writings. "You can't charge me for possessing a thought," he wrote, adding that he "honestly got a kick out of pissing off the RCMP ... HAHAHA."

Hmmm... sound pretty hatefull to me... and all in writing.
Seems odd when the media sites this as well;
In 2006, Reinhard Gustav Mueller of Edmonton, who claimed he received radio signals from space, was sentenced to 16 months for his depictions of Jews on his Internet site.

A fringe political candidate in Ontario was recently charged over anti-gay comments. Last January, former University of Saskatchewan math lecturer Terence Tremaine was charged with promoting hatred over anti-Jewish comments on the Internet. He has pleaded not guilty.

Mr. Rudner said he did not know why the Crown felt the comments of Mr. Hossain did not meet the threshold for criminal prosecution.

And, yet, what Mr. Hossain said and wrote was not criminal? interesting.

Gotta love this, though;
Mr. Hossain's mother told The Associated Press her son was an "idiot."

I guess it's not illegal to be an idiot.

Back