• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

We just moved from Kingston.  We lived in the Qs there for almost 3 years.    In my opinion - Stay away from them.  They are over-priced for what you can get in the city.  And CFHA takes a long time to get anything done if you have any problems (we had a severe mould growing problem in a closet and CFHA took over a month to come over after several phone calls, until we called Ottawa then they showed up the next day).    The CFHA there from what I hear from so many, when there are any repairs they try to see if there any way possible to make the tenant 'be responsible for paying'.  They tried doing that to us with the mould issue (when PMed said it was due to lack of insulation).
They are awful.  And if you didnt like Bordens PMQs, theres no way your going to like Kingstons imo.  As a couple have said already - they are very small, with no basements.

Jenn
Just wondering if you were actually thinking you would move universities while your BF was still training?
I may be way off on what you are thinking...so just tell me so!
I hope not...remember that you still have to take care of yourself first.  Having been through the university thing and the army thing...you really need to make sure you don't compromise your education and career for a relationship that is still in its early stages.  Your BF is going to be bumping around for awhile before he gets a steady posting...and at that time if you guys have made it, I would think that would be the time to make a move to a new school either for graduate work or for your career.
In the end if you guys work through all of this, you will be able to manage anything and he will respect you more for being independent and true to yourself.

If you are just throwing ideas around...I totally get that, since I am in the same position at this point.

Do I move my whole family(3 kids and 2 dogs) to a posting with my husband that may last only 6 months or a year, and take a risk that they send him away there and from us on course or something else while I am stuck in a strange temporary town/city? Or do I wait it out and move the next posting and stay put for now keeping my kids in a more stable place with school,family and a support system?  So many things to think about...it is crazy!

Good luck///

hello,

Yes like you were saying I was just throwing an idea out there to see what it had to offer, I ofcourse put myself and education before anything. I was just trying to see what different places had to offer plus you never know, when you might stumble upon something interesting...thanks for the advice Jenn

Kingston - home of the largest Canadian Tire in the world.  ;D

No first hand experience but I hear the hard drug problem is really bad due to all the prisons in the area.

I was just accepted into a grad program at RMC and will be moving to Kingston this fall. I am from western Canada, have never been back East before, and am wondering if any one out there can tell me a bit about life in Kingston. ie. what is a good neighbourhood relatively close to downtown, how much are apartments, do I need a car or can I walk/bike/bus across the bridge everyday to the school, etc etc etc?

Lemme hear your experiences in Kingston.

You can pretty much walk anywhere around downtown Kingston. It took me about an hour from the Hub all the way back to the shacks, and that was after an evening of a few social drinks.

Housing depends on how close you want to be, could always live in or around the student ghetto as a cheaper alternative. Most of the apartments/houses around the university are rented out to students, so you might be able to get a decent rate. Some are horribly expensive though.

Rent could be anywhere from $400 a month, to about $1000. Relatively cheap, as most of the higher end ones include utilities to some extent.

Thx SuperSlug.

The missus will probably need to be near downtown for work, and I don't know how she will enjoy living in the "student ghetto"... It is hard to tell from the map if there is anything at all around RMC. I assume there must be some groc stores and all that near there if students rent all the apartments nearby.

I have read that the bus system is pretty unreliable, does everyone have cars?

They either have cars, or walk. There's a fairly big grocery store just across the bridge, which happens to be right beside a LCBO. Also, S&R is a block west from that grocery store. The ghetto area isn't that bad until all the drunken students show up for the fall semester. The bus system is alright, if you're near a route. Otherwise, its black cadillacs or the car.

So the bridge is walkable? If we get an apt just on the East side of the bridge, could I walk to RMC? And then walk to the West side for grocs, and take a bud downtown if I need to go?

Is this viable?

Thanks for your answers, they are very helpful.

Only housing you'll get on the east side of the bridge is the PMQs if you're military, or out onto Hwy 15, in which case you'd need a car. Apartments and such are on the west side, around the downtown area.

Bridge is completely walkable, unless its up letting sailboats from the marina go through.

The reason I am asking all this is that I am not going to have much time to find and apartment when I go back East, so I would like to narrow down my search area. But making an hours walk everyday to RMC from downtown doesn't sound that enjoyable. If I get a place near the bridge (on the West side) I can either take X mins to walk, or since it is a bottleneck there MUST be frequent transit activity, no? Am I way off?

Take a PMQ apartment on the base like everyone else married at RMC, ride your bike or jog to class.

Pretty cheap and close. The missues can easily take the bus or walk.

Canex is across the street and has lots of amenities.

Make your life easy, the apartments are quiet.

Kingston is a beautiful town but it will cost u to live in the hub!

I do not know that answer! I just assumed u were military.

Sorry, maybe I should've mentioned that. I probably can't even take advantage of Canex either... If the missus can take the bus or walk, I guess the same applies to me.

I guess I should start looking around Queen St. and King St. relatively close to the bridge.

Just started to read this...Stay away from the Queen's student ghetto.  The housing quality is poor and you are living with a group of students.  Lots of traffic and noise may not help studying.  My wife went to Queen's and lived by the university and came across a lot of sketchy and questionable apartments.  For the price you would have to pay, you would be better off finding a place away from the university.  Try north of Princess Street or down by the lake.  The bus system is pretty good and most buses run along Princess Street.

Last year, civi's that worked on base or that went to RMC could live in the apartments in Kingston.  They arent that big, but if you dont have much stuff, its okay.  They are about 650sq ft (get a basement one its a bit bigger).
And anyone can access the Canex.
Half the apartments are usually empty, and when thats the case CFHA will usually rent them out to others. Heck, a lot of the pmq houses are too.  But rent for the apartments are about $600/month and heat is about $110 (that CFHA charges you), and hydro is about $50ish. These dont come with appliances. 
However, its very close to a bus route,  and your about a 10-15 minute walking distance to RMC

meni0n said:
Good times when I was there last summer. Lots of prisons though and a buddy who lives there told me, the city has one of the highest sexual assaults incidents in the country.

meniOn - Please refrain from anecdotal "evidence".

Kingston's a nice place to live, especially if you're planning on retiring there (I've several friends who've done so, including one on Wolfe Island and a couple who've purchased a vineyard)

Yes, Kingston has some "unique" attributes - when I worked for Social Services after leaving university, Toronto and Kingston were the only two cities in Ontario who had computerised welfare systems (Toronto due simply to its' large population and associated percentage of welfare recipients, and Kingston due to the number of inmates whose families camped outside the pens).

There are two main contributing factors to the statistical incidence of sexual assaults in Kingston:
1.  Queen's University; and
2.  Once again, the high concentration of correctional facilities (and the tendency of newly released inmates and/or sexual offenders to immediately seek vices they were denied whilst incarcerated).

References:
1.  http://www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca/dec6/thismag.html
2.  http://www.queensjournal.ca/articlephp/point-vol131/issue35/news/lead3

Back