• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

Siggywife said:
Many of those who attended fear they are stirring up asbestos dust every time they put a box in their attics and point out that the Canadian Forces Housing Agency has advised people living in houses suspected of containing Zonolite not to go into their attics at all.

I love it...We'll give you a home, but if you don't want to get sick, don't go into this part of said home

All the more reason for the CF to get out of the PMQ business except in all but the most remote locations.

We lived in Kingston as well for two and a half years, we finally moved out a year and a bit ago.  Our son developed some medical problems as well, but Im not sure if it was due to that or not.
I too had this in my cupboards - CFHA saying that it was only in the attick is a bunch of crock.
I remember calling CFHA about it falling into my food in the cupboards, taking out a pot or a pan and having little peices of this stuff in it, and my plates, and they would just ignore the fact and never get back to us.  So we went out and bought our own pantries to put our plates/food into. 

I dont know how many times as well we went upto the attick and go through boxes, before we even knew about the abstesos problem.  Scary to know how this could/may affect us down the road.

Asbestosis, a form of pneumoconiosis, usually takes more than 20 years to manifest...same goes for mesothelioma.

The greatest problem is that you CANNOT see the fibres that will cause damage.  The human eye can only see particles down to about 50 um (microns)...the stuff that gets down into your lungs is about 7 um.  When it gets down there, it causes fibrotic scaring of the lungs, reduces elasticity and cancer.

Asbestos is all over the place...in walls, pipe wrapping...you can take an air sample on a Toronto street corner and get asbestos fibres from the brake pads of vehicles.

And what they're saying is true.  In many cases, the safest way to deal with asbestos is to seal it up.  As long as it isn't disturbed, it isn't a problem.  However, if the walls are thin enough to poke holes through (not that you should be doing so with a broom handle) and the attic is used for storage because the house is a 950 square foot shoebox...

No easy or "cost effective" solution on this one...

One thing I forgot to mention...  If you think that you may be be exposed to asbestos fibers, in any way shape or form, DON'T SMOKE.

Smoking is considered to be a co-carcinogen for asbestos.  It damages the lung's ability to remove fibers and increases the cancer risk by an astronomical amount.

Well, I just completed IAP/BOTP, bypassed SLT, and am now being posted to 1 Wing for OJT. I decided to stay in single quarters on base (C46... similar to the rooms in St. Jean?) and they're charging $238/month for quarters and $397 for rations. Not too bad.

I was wondering if anyone else has stayed in the single quarters at 1 Wing and whether or not it's worth the extra cash to get an apartment instead. What are the rooms like? Is there internet access? TV?

On a side note, I wasn't told anything besides wearing CADPAT to work. I have no idea what I will be doing on OJT or if there is anything in particular that I should bring. I'm sure I will be briefed once I arrive, but I was wondering if anyone else has been through OJT in Kingston and whether or not they have any suggestions.

Well the quarters are definitely are in a good location over on the Vimy side next to the Vimy Officers' Mess and you will have about a twenty walk to 1 WG HQ.  I have never been in them so I can't comment on their condition.  You really can't beat 635 a month for room and board though.  Leaves more money for those important things in life.

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, so I'll give a quick intro of myself. My name is Kristina, 19 years old, with a bf that will soon be apart of RMC.

My bf will soon be joining the RMC this coming fall (he'll be doing his bootcamp in Quebec for 3 months starting june). I was told that it would take him a certain amount of months or a year until he is allowed to live on his own, and not in a dorm under the RMC (allowing my bf and I to finally live together). Obviously it depends on what hes going into, right? He's going in to be an officer for the areo space engineering department. So what that in mind, when would they allow him to live on his own? (like the pmq's for example)

Now I have read how awful the PMQ's are (living condition). It scared me to be honest, for we were looking forward to living in one to save us money (or what we thought would be a way to save money lol) and being near the RMC. Can anyone else suggest a place to live in that may save us money, purhaps another quater for military families that is cheap? We would like to live in a small house with one bedroom, but we're not familiar with the area. Suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you in advance everyone!
:cdn:

I was at RMC from Sept. 2002 to May 2006.  Whatever what he does at RMC (unless he's a UTPNCM, which is a person with previous time in the military, doesn't seem to be the case of your boyfriend) doesn't matter on his living conditions.  I don't think he'll be allowed to leave the campus for the first 2 years (unless you are married or common law, in which case I would think he could live out in 2nd year only). 

In 4th year, me and my spouse decided to live together in Kingston.  She isn't in the military.  We lived in the PMQ's on the base and no, the condition of the PMQ's isn't bad at all (in fact, it was pretty good).  We lived in the appartment (3 bedrooms) and looking back, we should have lived in a small house (it's approximately the same price, if you take into account hydro and gas).  Since I was the only one working, they couldn't take more than 25% of my gross salary for the shelter charge.  On top of that, I had to pay for utilities (160$ for heating, which is HUGE) plus hydro (50$ per month approx).  If I had taken a house, it would have been 25% of my gross salary plus whatever I take in heating and hydro. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in PM or here.

Max

Kris87,

Here is the link for the CFHA for the PMQ's in Kingston: http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/locations/kingston_e.asp

It shows prices, types, styles, etc. I've been in quite a few of them (they are certainly not the worst that I've been in).

Here's another resource to check out for civilian listings: http://kingston.ontariotenants.ca/

Be aware, there is no guarantee that your bf will be allowed to live out. It certainly will not be during first year (unless, of course, the powers that be change their mind), but I do know 2nd years (Common Law)that live out.

Thank you for your help Max :)

We're planning to get married in a year and a half (;D), and by then he should be done RMC in a year and a half as well. With that muich time done, we still wouldn't be able to live together just yet, even though we're married? (but would have to wait another half year to move in?)

As for the PMQ's, we were planning on moving into a house, but after reading all of those the posts (the one bad mouthing PMQ's) it scared me, with all the mold on their walls, pipes bursting, no installation, increase of rent price, etc. So there is hope for the PMQ due to your good experience? lol. We may still look around, for regular homes and mobile homes in the area incase. There's no luck so far, for the internet provides nothing of value :(

I'm still getting the hang of this forum... I couldn't find that PM option, lol.

Hi.  The PMQ's aren't bad at all in Kingston...  Houses though are expensive.  Way out of question for an Officer Cadet (unless you have a lot of money in your bank account!)  You can always visit and choose the PMQ you want before you actuallly move into it.  Doing so, you'll see it's really not that bad. 

He should be done RMC in 1 year and a half?  I doubt it.  RMC is 4 years for everybody (again, except for some UTPNCM).  I did my degree in Mech Eng (same branch as Aero now) and it took me 4 long years ;) What trade is your boyfriend?

Max

Thanks for those links Wookilar :)

Damn, 2 years? I was told by one it would be in a year in a half... but yet that information was based on assumption, lol.

Max - Opps, I didn't mean that he would be done RMC in a year and a half, I meant that he 'should' live on his own in a year and a half (which is not the case lol). I'll try to find that one job that can help afford that house ;) hehe. Otherwise an apartment should do. It's funny how I was just abot to ask that very thing, if I can choose my own PMQ instead of the CFHA choosing for me, lol :p.

What's a trade? haha, I really need to learn military terminology :p

Another thing that may be a factor is the availability of PMQ's.  I was Posted to Kingston and there were no PMQ's available, and a long waiting list.  I was forced to buy a house or pay rent somewhere.  

Top that problem up with the priority of who is able to get a PMQ, and a single RMC Cadet, is not likely to make the list.

George Wallace said:
Another thing that may be a factor is the availability of PMQ's.  I was Posted to Kingston and there were no PMQ's available, and a long waiting list.  I was forced to buy a house or pay rent somewhere. 

Top that problem up with the priority of who is able to get a PMQ, and a single RMC Cadet, is not likely to make the list.

They're filled up? Hmm, when he's accepted, he'll apply to one now, and by the time he is allowed to live on his own, hopefully he'll be higher up the list or accepted by the CFHA. But how come he wouldn't be able ot make the list? Aren't the homes for RMC cadets?

When I was there last year, there was plenty of Qs availlable to people.  Give a 4-6 months heads up before you move to CFHA.

Max

Kris87 said:
What's a trade? haha, I really need to learn military terminology :p

His job in the forces. Eg. pilot, infantry, armour, aerospace engineer etc...

Hmm, when he's accepted,

There we go and perhaps you are putting the cart before the horse?  When you boyfriend is accepted the only thing he should be worrying about is getting through his training so that he can go to RMC and then after, if he makes it, he can start thinking about that great PMQ on the hill.

Couple points about the Q's in Kingston:

1.  Availability changes often, but currently seems to be quite available.

2.  Quality.  As I was waiting to take possession of my house, I spent a month and a half in a PMQ duplex.  It was an outstanding home.  Large, well lit, and fairly spacious.  Recent renovations, inlcuding a giant bathroom with a soaker tub.  Kitchen was spacious but had been painted so many times the cupboards were sticky or difficult to close (resolved with a file).  I had moved from a modern apartment in downtown Edmonton to the Q; the sound insulation in the Q was amazing -- our neighbour had two young kids, a teenager, and a yappy dog and no sounds travelled through the walls.  Back yard was *huge*.  Shared driveway was small but fine for our purposes; no garage.  Can't speak for heating and insulation.  We had one issue with plumbing, the bathtub had the mother of all clogs; liquid plumber and one-second-plumber all failed to clear it.  Took a couple of days for CFHA to get a plumber in (fairly standard).

3.  Price.  Dirt cheap.  Try finding a rental or a bought home that costs so little.

4.  Proximity.  Not many places are as close to RMC.

kincanucks said:
Hmm, when he's accepted,

There we go and perhaps you are putting the cart before the horse?  When you boyfriend is accepted the only thing he should be worrying about is getting through his training so that he can go to RMC and then after, if he makes it, he can start thinking about that great PMQ on the hill.

Where's the harm in looking into the future? My bf isn't worried about it at all, it's me who's looking into all of this for fun/curiosity.
I know I'm thinking a little ahead of myself, but my college hasn't started yet, so I have a lot of time to kill. When I do start school and my job, I won't have as much time as I normally do to do such things. Soooooo, let me have my fun, I'm really excited about this all, lol.

Back