• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

Teham,

If you guys don't get any info from the school or base, contact the Kingston Military Family Resource Centre.

http://www.kmfrc.com/

They have Welcome Packages that have tons of info on schools, utility hook-ups, and a lot of other stuff. The FRC is quite helpful, in my experience. There is even a medical clinic in their building now, for family's not for service members

We've been here almost 2 years now, really like K'town.

Wook

Thanks so much, I did contact the kmfrc they are sending me a package age thanks a bunch.

Can anyone give me the latest scoop about the PMQ's in Kingston? 

How's the availability?  Is there a waiting list right now?
How are the apartments?  The homes?  Has any of the previously mentioned problems ie. mould, insallation etc. been fixed?

I google earthed CFB Kingston but I'm not clear as to where the base is in relation to the downtown core.  On mls, what zone is the base in?

Any new info would be appreciated!

-th

It has been some time since I was in PMQs in Kingston, so I'll leave it to others to provide current info.

The Base itself is East of the Cataraqui River, in Kingston East.  The city downtown is just across the river.  The bridge is only 2 lane, so during rush hours traffic could be a little slow (not as bad as Vancouver or Toronto).  The big shopping centres are towards the West end of town in the zone names North West (between Highway 2/Princess Street, and the 401)

When we lived in Kingston the PMQs were pretty basic.  Many people purchased in the development between the Base and the 401 along Highway 15.  Others went as far away as Gananoque to buy/rent, while others bought on the west side of town, and took the 401 and Highway 15 to get to work.

BC Old Guy has it right, the base is on the east side of the river.  The PMQs are located south of Hwy 2.  I have no idea what the availability/waiting list/conditions are.  All I know is that they are tearing a lot of them down.  Personally, I wouldn't go with the Qs.  There are a lot of affordable townhouses on the east side.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/maps/extmap;_ylt=AsO..Jj6EobRsA9yOmzq97FSBoYA/*-http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?q1=Kingston%2C+Ontario&ds=n&name=&desc=&lat=44.231535&lon=-76.479334&mlt=44.231535&mln=-76.479334&zoomin=yes&BFKey=&mag=4">
Map of
Kingston, Ontario
</a></center>

Edited to add: Sorry about the link, but it works!!

Thanks for the info guys - definately helps!

PMedMoe - affordability is very subjective!  ;)

tree hugger said:
PMedMoe - affordability is very subjective!  ;)

Too true!! I just looked at the MLS and townhouses start at about $174,900.

PMedMoe said:
Too true!! I just looked at the MLS and townhouses start at about $174,900.

When you look at what people at paying in other areas, 174k sure does look affordable!  That being said, it all depends on what you are looking for, sometimes 174k will get you a palace and others, a dump.

If you are using MLS listings, try looking in the areas of Grenadier Village, Pittsburg Township (old name prior to almagamation), Barryfield. 

Another note on the causeway, if not already mentioned, is that when the Rideau Canal is in full swing in the summer months, the bridge on the causeway is often up to allow boats through.  I have seen traffic backed up to the top of Princess Street where Stages is located, on some really busy days on the Canal.  Anti-War protesters also like to blockade the causeway.  You may even want to look East along Hwy 2 towards Gananoque.

George Wallace said:
You may even want to look East along Hwy 2 towards Gananoque.

+1, it's an easy 20 min drive along HW2 from the base to Gan... lots of nice places for sale there and the prices drop quite a bit the closer you get to Gan.

CFHA Kingston

When I was first posted here, I lived in a PMQ waiting for our house.  Most of the Q's in the area had undergone considerable upgrades -- new windows, siding, roofs, floors, and bathrooms.  Ours had even a soaker tub in it.  Really, top quality and very inexpensive.  I think we were paying less for rent a house through CFHA than we would have paid for a 1 bedroom apartment elsewhere in the city.

The area just North of the base is comically known as "PMQ North."  MLS lists it as "City East." Not much for shopping convenience there -- a grocery store and a drug store are about it.  Getting to the mall and larger store, you're looking about a 10 - 15 minute drive on the 401.  Bus routes are there, but I've found Kingston Transit to be a bit frustrating.  Houses south of Gore Rd are somewhat older, up to 20 years, but seem to all have much bigger yards than the newer ones north of it.  Both areas have mostly underground wiring, a very nice bonus in my opinion.

If you're looking for a home with a garage, do so with caution.  Most single car garages here are only wide enough to drive a vehicle into... but not actually open the doors once inside.  We looked at a few places that the garages weren't even deep enough to park our four door sedan and close the door.

Whoa, just checked out the CFHA site and looking at the rents (from 2006-2007)!  A 2 bdrm apt is $605 and rents go up to $1655 for what must be the best PMQ ever built renovated!!

Shamrock, agree with what you said about garages.  Ours is a single car but we just use it for storage!  ;)
I guess $605 is okay for a 2 bdrm but some of the other rent charges would be more than a mortgage payment.  Really, a house is an investment.
Hwy 2 going towards Gan is a nice area but we didn't see much for sale there last year.  Barriefield is fairly expensive as it is a historic area and most of the homes are on the waterfront or have a water view.  Grenadier Village is the older homes, then there's Greenwood Park (where I live) with the newer ones.  True, there's not much for "convenience" on this side, but we weighed the option of going into town a couple times a week vs. driving from/to the west side twice a day.  You can see what option won.  ;D

I see I failed to read before I posted.  Prices have gone up.  However, rentals on the economy are still more expensive.

The moral?  Buy a home.

I can't afford anything too nice (read: expensive) - I really should get myself a Mr. tree hugger so he can pay half the mortgage...  ;)

IM applying for an APS to Kingston, was wondering if anyone knows of wha tthere is to do there besides a posting in the recruiters centre, not that , that would be bad though....

Can you elaborate on what you're looking for?

CFB Kingston houses the standard workings for any base; it also houses a couple of schools, a reserve unit, and a field unit.  Off the base are two other reserve units and RMC.

Well Im coming from 1 VP, in Edmonton, and i am curious as to wha tis available really, Im familiar with the area, I grew up in Brockville and spent alot of time in Kingston but im not familiar with what there is to offer for a infantier,,,,,,,,so that is whay i was wondering whats out ther and opened  ?

There's a few Pats here working at various levels.  RCR and 22e too.

If you go into EMAA on the DIN, you should be able to find out all the postings available to you at your rank and MOS.

Back