• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Christmas / Holidays [Merged]

I'm assuming from reading that thread about common law that the answer is no. He will just pay less for rations and room and board. 

Thespiceguy79 said:
He will just pay less for rations and room and board.

You can read more about that here,

The Rations and Quarters Merged Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/33594.0
20 pages.

Thespiceguy79 said:
Hello all.

My partner is being sent to basic training soon and We had a couple of questions about benefits?

1. Do you receive separation pay during basic? Some say yes some say no.
2. When do we qualify for health benefits?
3. Since this BMQ goes over Christmas will he get to come home for that time? 

We are new to all of this. Thanks for your help!  I have searched the threads but couldn't find a definite answer.

1.  Separation pay (to my understanding) does not exist anymore.  Unless something has changed recently (and someone will chime in) you will still receive PLD (Post Living Differential) for the location you both live in.

2. What "health benefits" are you referring to?

3. Most training cycles account for Christmas as a period of time off - while his training cycle MAY cover over Christmas, I'm 99% positive the staff and training institution do not want to be there over Christmas holidays, so there is usually a break for members to go home during the holidays (You may with to look into Leave Travel Assistance if you live far away from the training establishment, etc...)

I'm also not a Clerk, nor do I work at the training institution - your best bet is for your partner to ask the training institution they are attending for up to date details.

Best of luck!

Hi, I’m now in TRP platoon (injury from BMQ).  But I can’t go to my next of kin in Xmas leave.  Basically I’m homeless when the base is closed for holidays.  Any advice please? Padre looks like could only recommend cheap hotels for me.  Chain of command instructor seems not care.  I’m already in debt a lot because of coming here for the course.  Is there any base can take care of the homeless recruit at no cost or very low cost? Looking forward to your advice.  Thanks

YY said:
Hi, I’m now in TRP platoon (injury from BMQ).  But I can’t go to my next of kin in Xmas leave.  Basically I’m homeless when the base is closed for holidays.  Any advice please? Padre looks like could only recommend cheap hotels for me.  Chain of command instructor seems not care.  I’m already in debt a lot because of coming here for the course.  Is there any base can take care of the homeless recruit at no cost or very low cost? Looking forward to your advice.  Thanks

Sorry to hear you’re on TRP. I hope you heal-up quickly and get back to it. Yup, it’s the way it goes there. Staff doesn’t want to have to stay—they want to leave over Xmas block leave also, so recruits are told to to get out. Everything will go down to minimal personnel only and all recruit areas (messes, quarters etc) are locked down. 

I’m not sure what’s considered “cheap” in terms of hotels in the area (I only recall the usual popular ones, although there are a couple of small-name places on the other side of the canal with kitchenettes and such, but I can’t remember the names now), but you’ll absolutely have to find somewhere to go. Your staff will work with you to figure something out if it absolutely comes down to it—they have to. But ideally, you need to make arrangements. Are you friends enough with anyone in your platoon you can ask to crash with? I know you wouldn’t want to feel like a burden, but I bet you’re not the only one at CFLRS in this position. There were a couple of recruits in similar circumstances when I was there.

A cheap option for accommodations is to check out another base. Kingston is not too far and I believe transient accommodations are only something like $10 a night. Call the base number, press 0 and ask the operator for base accommodations. They should be able to tell you. 

YY said:

Why cant you stay in your current accommodation, I get the base is shutting down for the holidays but its not like they will padlock the doors in the shacks. I have heard of pats staying over the holidays at Aldershot. I would just stay and if someone asks, say you dont plan to go home for the holidays and let them figure it out. usually they want everyone gone because the kitchens shut down but you can just buy your own food.

Andriyko said:
Why cant you stay in your current accommodation, I get the base is shutting down for the holidays but its not like they will padlock the doors in the shacks. I have heard of pats staying over the holidays at Aldershot. I would just stay and if someone asks, say you dont plan to go home for the holidays and let them figure it out. usually they want everyone gone because the kitchens shut down but you can just buy your own food.

No, that’s not how it works at CFLRS. You can’t “...just stay and if someone asks...”

I’d be surprised if someone from your CoC was not looking for a solution behind the scenes.

I don’t know the policies off hand, but what is the responsibility of the CAF in this situation?  This individual is on basic, can’t afford to go home, can’t afford a hotel and is essentially going to be forced out.

I don’t think it’s right to just say suck it up princess, see you in a few days.

It’s probably worth it to get ahold of these folks

“the Exacta Centre at 450-358-7099, ext. 6110, or at CentreExactaSJN@forces.gc.ca”.    Military accommodations within the Saint Jean Garrison, maybe you can get another room in another building for the days you are forced out?  I don’t know the area that well or even if it’s possible.  They should be able to point you in the right direction though.

The local MFRC might be able to help you as well, ask about rentals from them.  Some bases do have rooms/houses they rent out for pretty cheap.  Usually with a caveat that you have to vacate if there’s an emergency. 

BeyondTheNow said:
Sorry to hear you’re on TRP. I hope you heal-up quickly and get back to it. Yup, it’s the way it goes there. Staff doesn’t want to have to stay—they want to leave over Xmas block leave also, so recruits are told to to get out. Everything will go down to minimal personnel only and all recruit areas (messes, quarters etc) are locked down. 

I’m not sure what’s considered “cheap” in terms of hotels in the area (I only recall the usual popular ones, although there are a couple of small-name places on the other side of the canal with kitchenettes and such, but I can’t remember the names now), but you’ll absolutely have to find somewhere to go. Your staff will work with you to figure something out if it absolutely comes down to it—they have to. But ideally, you need to make arrangements. Are you friends enough with anyone in your platoon you can ask to crash with? I know you wouldn’t want to feel like a burden, but I bet you’re not the only one at CFLRS in this position. There were a couple of recruits in similar circumstances when I was there.

Sounds to me like the CAF should be putting these people in a hotel and paying them per diem rates.

The CAF posts you there on a prohibited posting, so you don't have a "home," your home is the CAF and whatever shacks they put you in. You pay for rations & quarters while there as a result. The CAF now decides to close the doors on your home for a few days (a week, two weeks?) because the CAF members that run the place need to have time off. You are now homeless because of the CAF.

If I were this guy I'd be submitting a notice of intent to grieve tomorrow...

ballz said:
Sounds to me like the CAF should be putting these people in a hotel and paying them per diem rates.

The CAF posts you there on a prohibited posting, so you don't have a "home," your home is the CAF and whatever shacks they put you in. You pay for rations & quarters while there as a result. The CAF now decides to close the doors on your home for a few days (a week, two weeks?) because the CAF members that run the place need to have time off. You are now homeless because of the CAF.

If I were this guy I'd be submitting a notice of intent to grieve tomorrow...

I’d mentioned in my post, albeit briefly, that staff WILL work with him and make arrangements. But ideally, (and this depends on individual staff how hard they push) they want the recruits to have arrangements made. Obviously, if there are absolutely zero options available for the recruit, and all possibilities have been exhausted then staff will have to figure something out. But yea, when I was there, they left the onus up to the recruit for as long as possible and staying at CFLRS was absolutely not an option.

BeyondTheNow said:
they left the onus up to the recruit for as long as possible

Sounds like great "leadership" at leadership school where they sell all the fairy tales about how we look after our people. Literally try and leave out brand new recruits, not even basic qualified, to solve the problems the CAF created. This could fit well in that thread about recruiting/retention issues.

Disdain in this and other posts not directed at you personally.

Christmas leave is what, a month away from now for the recruits? Probably should let the CoC do their thing.

On a slightly related topic, are recruits paying R&Q while they are at BMQ? I assume this would cease for the few weeks they're away.

ballz said:
Sounds like great "leadership" at leadership school where they sell all the fairy tales about how we look after our people. Literally try and leave out brand new recruits, not even basic qualified, to solve the problems the CAF created. This could fit well in that thread about recruiting/retention issues.

Disdain in this and other posts not directed at you personally.

That’s ok, I didn’t take it personally and I largely agree. I have many, many opinions about CFLRS and the things I witnessed during my time there, but I’d be well outside my lanes critiquing them to any serious degree, so I usually just keep my trap (mostly) zipped.

PuckChaser said:
Christmas leave is what, a month away from now for the recruits? Probably should let the CoC do their thing.

On a slightly related topic, are recruits paying R&Q while they are at BMQ? I assume this would cease for the few weeks they're away.

Yes they pay R&Q. In 2015 R were around $550/month and Q were approx $100/month. If married, no Q charges were deducted. As well, R&Q charges weren’t lessened to account for Xmas leave. As far as I’m aware, it’s still the same.

BeyondTheNow said:
Yes they pay R&Q. In 2015 R were around $550/month and Q were approx $100/month. If married, no Q charges were deducted. As well, R&Q charges weren’t lessened to account for Xmas leave. As far as I’m aware, it’s still the same.

Rations & Quarters should be lessened to account for XMAS leave.  Isn't that why we have that little section on our leave passes? 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Rations & Quarters should be lessened to account for XMAS leave.  Isn't that why we have that little section on our leave passes?

It was explained to me that Xmas break is already factored into the budget/amounts for FY when rates are set at CFLRS.  I don’t know if this is how they do things across the board for any type of course running over block leave (RegF) CAF-wide, but I DO know that there are different types of training/courses where the rates haven’t been adjusted due to Xmas—the amount is the amount, it stays the same. I haven’t done any RegF clerking specifically related to R&Q on a base, only PRes. So I can’t speak on details for how it’s all calculated. This info was just what was passed to me.

Dolphin_Hunter said:

Actually, no.  It's the opposite.  R&Q rates are set nationally (i.e. NOT by the base) and annual leave is factored into the rate on the assumption that the member will not be staying in quarters or eating at the mess while on leave.  The section on the leave pass is there to let the ration accounting section know that the member in question is not entitled to rations for the period of the leave pass.  Members on leave are actually supposed to buy meal tickets if they choose to eat in the mess at that time, even if they are on ration strength.

Technical stuff:  CFAO 34-16 states the following:

RATIONS PROVIDED WITHOUT CHARGE

4.    The commanding officer (CO) of a base, unit or ship providing food
services is authorized to draw rations for and provide meals without charge
to:

The way this works is that the Ration Accounting Section on the base will get a monthly report on the number of personnel on ration strength (i.e. those entitled to meals either because they are paying for them through their pay accounts or are entitled to free meals).  They use that number to calculate the amount of public funds they are allowed to draw in order to meet their dining requirements.  Leave passes are included in this calculation and so the CO cannot draw funds to feed anyone on leave.  Hence personnel on leave are not entitled to eat in the mess, unless they buy an additional meal ticket.

None of what I've said here, however, absolves the chain of command from looking after the OP and ensuring he has a roof over his head.

Rations, sure. But you can’t tell me that the member has to clear out of their SQ every time they go on leave. So I would argue the member is already paying for accommodations.

Hi all, thank you all replies.  I have solved the problem.  I could not reply earlier because my account was stuck.

Basically, I stayed in Montreal cheap room (AIRBNB website, recommended by an instructor).  I have no car so they won't allow / recommend me to stay in base/ other base.  The padre helped me a lot in both emotional and actual support.  I recommend recruits to seek help/ discussion with padre regardless you have religious belief or not.  Their goal is to help not to persuade/ judge people on their believes.

Thank you all.  Have a wonderful 2019.

Back