• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Christmas / Holidays [Merged]

YY said:
Hi all, thank you all replies.  I have solved the problem.  I could not reply earlier because my account was stuck.

Basically, I stayed in Montreal cheap room (AIRBNB website, recommended by an instructor).  I have no car so they won't allow / recommend me to stay in base/ other base.  The padre helped me a lot in both emotional and actual support.  I recommend recruits to seek help/ discussion with padre regardless you have religious belief or not.  Their goal is to help not to persuade/ judge people on their believes.

Thank you all.  Have a wonderful 2019.

Thanks very much for this reply.
I think this means for Nov BMQ / BMOQ, you cannot stay in CFLRS during Christmax block leave (3 weeks).
I will probably keep renting my current place for the period.

Is it possible to get leave travel allowance for the block leave period?

lid said:

The best one to answer this is the staff there on base.  By the way it is assistance not allowance.  May not seem important but having to deal with numerous people over the years it is the first step to helping them understand why they only get a certain amount reimbursed instead of all. 

lid said:

This website has the the info about Leave Travel Assistance (LTA) https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/compensation-benefits-instructions/chapter-209-transportation-expenses.html#sec-209-50 (look at 209.50)

209.50(3) (Entitlement) A member of the Regular Force – or of the Reserve Force who is both on Class B or C Reserve Service and authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense for that Class B or C Reserve Service – is entitled to LTA if all of the following conditions are satisfied after 31 January 2011:
  a. The member is on leave under QR&O chapter 16 (Leave), except under article 16.18 (Retirement Leave), article 16.25 (Leave
      Without Pay and Allowances), article 16.26 (Maternity Leave) and article 16.27 (Parental Leave) of the QR&O;
  b. the member has a family member;
  c. during leave, either the member travels to see a family member or a family member travels to see the member;
  d. the member provides proof of travel to an authorized destination;
  e. the member is not entitled to a payment for travel expenses under section 21 (Home Leave Travel Assistance) of the Military
      Foreign Service Instructions; and
  f.  only in respect of a member with a dependant, the member is – for 60 continuous days – either entitled to Separation Expense
      under CBI 208.997 (Separation Expense) or absent – for service reasons – from their place of duty.

CountDC said:
May not seem important but having to deal with numerous people over the years it is the first step to helping them understand why they only get a certain amount reimbursed instead of all.

Also seems to help confuse DCBA into thinking they can arbitrarily limit the TB-approved benefits :stirpot:

haven't seen that - perhaps you would like to explain so the rest of us can understand what you are referring to.

LTA is seriously one of the most overanalyzed benefits I've ever seen. The policy is written pretty clearly and somehow DCBA has turned it into rocket appliances.

We will likely need this moved to the LTA thread, but let's start with how a taxi, supported by a receipt, is apparently not an "actual cost" of travelling from your home (place of duty) to your family member's home (the principle residence) when you travel by commercial air.... unless you live in an airport, and your family member lives in an airport, local transportation supported by a receipt is most definitely an actual cost of travelling of return travel by commercial carrier.

And the most irritating counter-argument, "no, because it's only assistance." That's not an argument. It doesn't matter if it's called purple monkey wrenches benefit, if the policy says you get blue bananas, you get blue bananas.

ah I see;  perhaps CBI's would help which is clear on what is claimable for LTA.

the amount of LTA is the lesser of:

a.the actual cost of return travel by commercial carrier,
i.in respect of a service couple who meet at a place of duty, from the member's place of duty to the other member's place of duty; and
ii.in any other case, from the member's place of duty to the principal residence; and

b.the amount determined by the formula,

[({Dx2} - 800) - P] x OLKR

where

D is the most direct kilometric road distance,
P is the distance the member travels as a passenger in a private motor vehicle with another person who is reimbursed at public expense for travelling that distance; and

OLKR is the Ontario lower kilometric rate in Appendix A of the National Joint Council Commuting Assistance Directive, as amended from time to time

and of course

commercial carrier
includes but not limited to
:
a.a commercial passenger aviation service;
b.a commercial passenger railway service;
c.a commercial inter-city bus service; or
d.a ferry service,
i. between two locations within British Columbia, or
ii. between any two of the following provinces: New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

Oops - commercial carrier - did that just say NOT LIMITED TO!!  ;D  Isn't a taxi a commercial carrier? How about local bus/subway?  Don't see where it says only one carrier can be used.

Yep, things sure are clear there.

Here's an idea - how about someone that has an LTA claim with expenses not paid redress it? 

CountDC said:
Oops - commercial carrier - did that just say NOT LIMITED TO!!  ;D  Isn't a taxi a commercial carrier? How about local bus/subway?  Don't see where it says only one carrier can be used.

Yep, things sure are clear there.

Glad you agree that things are clear that a taxi/bus/subway/etc should be covered. DCBA will not allow anyone to cover those things. They have somehow determined that "actual costs" don't include "local transportation."

CountDC said:
Here's an idea - how about someone that has an LTA claim with expenses not paid redress it?

I've been looking for someone who is eligible to let me do a redress for them and they can sign it. I can't personally because my eligible family member lives too close.

Yeah, I can't because you can not file a redress on behalf of someone else, you can only file for yourself and my family is with me.

Hopefully someone does though so I can stop trying to explain to people it is because of a policy pushed down and not just because I picked it out of my *** today.

Back