• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Left-hand shooter question

• Thread starter Thread starter Tigger
  • Start date Start date

Should there Be a rifle for Lefty shooters?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

Tigger

Could anyone recall if left-hand shooting is allowed during IAP/BOTP?  I.E. my trigger finger is on the left hand and I aim with the left eye, consequently, I'd hold a rifle pointing to the right when I'm running or marching. :soldier:

What about drill with rifles, etc.?

Thanks a lot.
:salute:

It's allowed. The C7 has a casing deflector, so there's no reason anybody would make you shoot with your weak side. You'll also be an asset during patrolling for actions on.

The guy next to me on my ranges was always a lefty.
He said the only thing was the casings always flew  near his face which kind of unnerved him.
With the drill you have to do it with the same hand as everyone else.

heyhey
I am also a left handed shooter, its always some what more akward to fire guns made for right handed people. I remember getting the blot from a enfield .303 in the face, too bad they didnt put them on the other side!!

I got used to shooting left-handed, but I originally had to learn all of the firing drills right handed first.  I also still only shoot machine guns right-handed, and I'm not sure why it feels more comfortable  ???

The only real problem I encountered was my rifle jamming when I held the rifle near the base of the handguards - spent casings would hit my hand, and not eject...  needless to say I don't do that anymore  :)

Left hand shooters are taught how to do the drills left handed.  The proposed modifications to the C-7 will take care of most problems that lefties encounter today.

I fired left, you will learn your weapons handling drills different, not a problem. Don't worth about brass casings flying in your face, there is a deflector on the weapon plus your right eye will be closed to aim. Its also not a problem with the machine guys. Just be glad its not a "billups" (not correct spelling) type of weapon with the mag in behind the trigger.

plus your right eye will be closed to aim

You should only close the eye your not using to aim just for a second or two to aquire your target then open it so both eyes are open. That way the target is not blurry. it takes a while to get used to.

Heres something that you may not come across to often.  I'm a lefty who's right eye dominant. I learned to shoot righthanded. While another woman in my platoon was right handed  left eye dominant, she had to learn how to shoot left handed. It really threw our instructors for a loop.

I'm the same as commando_wolf63.  I shoot long arms from the right shoulder even though I'm left handed, but I shoot pistol with my left hand.  Never had any problems with drills.  In fact having to change hands with the pistol really makes you aware of muzzle control issues.

I shoot left handed and I think there should be a weapon to that doesn't eject brass into my eye.  :cdn:

On the C-7, the spent casing deflector should handle that problem.

I am a lefty as well.  Absolutely no need to have a left handed rifle, in fact the ambidextrous controls are a solution for a problem that does not exist.  I like the ambi mag release but it is not vital ground.  As noted about, the case deflector will prevent you from being hit by brass.  It is not needed.  The money would be better spent on more range time....

Jeff

I am a lefty, and I do not think there is a need for a special rifle, just think of it this way, if you have never shot before, you will be learning the same way as everyone else.

and if you have shot before (as I have) you have adapted your own methods for correcting the problem.

I would imigine the Canadian C7 family is like the M16A2 family, with a nice big triangluar bump on the upper reciever behind the ejection port, they work just fine for lefties.
I'm right handed but shoot left handed most of the time.

One weapon for ALL, no need for left-handed - right handed.  What needs to be done is training to make all soldiers shoot left or right handed just as equally. Or at least acceptable on weak side. 

Not to mention the odd chance one is wounded, that hever happens right?  one can't just give up and stop firing in some circumstances.

There are many times one will need the ability to fire from behind cover that will only allow left or right handed shots.  Think about it for a few minutes.  I think all will agree a highly vaulable ability once learned.

Pappy,

I agree. We should be teaching weak side shooting. Unfortunately, the CF barely has enough ammo\ range time to teach proper strong side tecnique. ::)

i agree I shoot either hand . ive shot left and right with all of the CF issue weapons . ive never found a problem with brass hitting me . maybe you should check your eye relief . scoped unscoped left or right no probs.

I am a lefty and learned the craft on the FN.  Never had a prob with the C-7 or C-9.

Even the 9mm Browning and Sig, no biggy, even had a lefty holster after the widow maker got retired.

Sigh...

One weapon - One standard. No if's and's or butt's

I'm just glad that they don't beat shooting left handed out of you like during the old days of the Lee-Enfield. It would be nice to have a casing deflector on the C-9. I find that the C-9 is not left hand friendly with the brass and link flying into your face or right arm so I try to shoot right handed.

Back