• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Left-hand shooter question

• Thread starter Thread starter Tigger
  • Start date Start date

Should there Be a rifle for Lefty shooters?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've never seen any problem with anyone shooting the C7/AR-15 left handed. The spent casing deflector does a wonderful job ensuring the brass is ejected far enough away from the shooter. There really isn't a requirement for a dedicated left handed weapon in our Military as they all are designed to accommodate left handed shooters. Additionally, the C7A2 will further be liked by lefties as it should have a ambidextrous safety and magazine release.

I had the experience of shooting an SA80A2 this summer at Bisley. Now if you are a lefty and are in the British Military, you MUST learn to shoot right as the the cocking handle physically sides back and forth every time the weapon is discharged. If you happened to shoot it left handed, you would end up with a cocking handle in the face.

I heard they are now issueing the left handed hammer... but no seriously... i think they could use lefty machine guns

i also think they should let us experiment with shooting left handed as well as right handed. Im sure im not the only one who switches hands to look around corners in obua.

Spr. Richmond
CHIMO!

They don't teach opposite hand shooting techniques in the army any more? We did that a few times to get the feel for it, we do it as part of our training for NLBPs as well.

NLBPs?

ya i havent come accross it yet... but maybe im still too new for it

Ex-Dragoon said:
They don't teach opposite hand shooting techniques in the army any more?

Yes we teach it as part of the CQB/Reflexive shooting/Kill house drills etc.  Doing corners and covering from some postions it is "recommended" to switch as such it is taught and EDI'd

The only way to really make a weapon for both left and right handed shooters would be to design one from the ground up. It would need an overhand cocking handle like a FAMAS, "flapper" magazine release like a Galil, pressure sensitive sear like an AUG and most important, an ejector port on the bottom throwing brass forward and down, or perhaps on the top flipping casings over the shooter's shoulder. (The mechanical design of such a weapon would be interesting, to say the least, without even getting into issues like firing positions and concealment).

This is a huge amount of work for what is really only a small problem (I shoot both left and right handed in Urban Ops, and rarely have problems with deflected casings).

No need for a lefthand version of the C7. Just imagine the costs involved ( design changes, tooling costs & patents ect.). That does not even begin to address the logistical costs of now holding both left & right hand parts and battlefield interchangeability.
Now the old SMG was definitely not user friendly to lefthand shooters.

Best Wishes

On this topic, I've been in the military going on 18 months now and I just don't feel I've been adequately trained to handle small arms. In those 18 months, I have shot C7 twice and 9mm once, for a total of less than 200 rounds shot between the two weapons. It might be the budget, I don't know, but for those of us who aren't good shots to begin with, all the practice rounds we can get would help immensly.

I just received the new C7A2 version for tour. It has a left hand mag release, larger cocking handle, and will be fitted with an ambidextrous selector lever. IMHO, it is now as close to ambidextrous as you can get without actually switching parts.

see that's all that is needed. why should the CF buy new parts for the minority of us leftys. (especially if they can't addapt to the current gear)

I wouldn't know where to start to search for a topic on this but its mostly for me to just complain anyways.  If you are a left hand shot have you ever had your magazine release press against your tac vest and your magazine falls out in the middle of an excersise?  With all the funding going into developing weapons could they not think of a way to remove this problem?  Although I've never fired an A2 I hear that because it is designed for left and right shots that there have been complaints from right shots now about the same problem.  Does anyone else get annoyed by this as much as I? It is one of the worst things that can happen on a recce excersise especially at night.

I'm a lefty as well, and all I did was adapt my shooting style to shoot from the right shoulder, takes practice, but now I shoot right always with no problems. (civy experience, no military yet)

I'm a southpaw shooter, carried SMG, C1, C2, C6, C7, C7, C9,  never had a mag fall out due to the way I carried it.  Maybe your mag catch spring is played out?

As long as we are complaining about left and right handed shooting...

I'm right handed, but strongly left eye dominant. Either way I'm at a disadvantage.  ;D

Klc, I find that i have little to no trouble aiming and shooting right side, and I am left eye, left hand dominant. Sure, it was wierd at first, but you get used to it.

I can shoot just fine right hand, and thats what I do. It just makes it real fun to try and do with both eyes open.

To tension up the mag catch -- press the button in as far as you can -- on the other side you will notice the release is sticking out -- screw it in further (the screw will start to come out the button).

When you transition to pistol the carbine should fall into the body with the mag catch (and ejection port side) against the body -- never lost a mag that way -- and I shoot a bit...

The Diemaco version of the Norgon Ambi-catch is another disaster -- improperly executed by Diemaco due to an idiot spec'ing it out -- the real Norgons dont do what the Diemaco one does...

Back