• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leo 2A6M CAN - are they in service?

Anything in the way of backup in case the electrics go down?

Nerf herder said:
Oh Wikipedia strikes again.

The Leo2A6(M) are in Montreal undergoing rebuild.

None are in either Regiment at this time, unless something has changed since Friday.

The priority for the tank fleet is to get the A4s and A4(M)s out the doors first.

The Armour School has one A6(M) for TP and lesson plan development only.

Regards

There is one 2A6M in Edmonton with the Strathconas....in addition to about 15 2A4Ms and a couple of 2A4s.

Tango24B said:
There is one 2A6M in Edmonton with the Strathconas....in addition to about 15 2A4Ms and a couple of 2A4s.

Good to know!

Nerf herder said:
In many conversations with German crews, including many Master Gunners, there has never been an issue of a hose breaking due to over pressure as there is an overpressure release valve located on the turret floor beneath the gun forward of the loader. One MG has told me that in the 25 years he's served on the Leo 2 (all variants) he has never had any reports of one releasing hydraulic fluid.....ever.

As for a round penetrating the crew compartment and causing a line to break.....they have bigger things to worry about than 6 litres of hydraulic fluid spraying around.    ;)

Regards

As I recall the IDF found the M48's caused significant burns with the fluids when hit. When I look at the splash damage done to light APC's by a HEAT pentration, I can see how a line can get severed. Also firefighting on fishing boats taught me just how dangerous high pressure, very hot hydraulic oil can be.

PrairieThunder said:
Cool! Thanks for the Info Nerf!

One day I wish to be blessed with being in the presence of such an impressive machine

The tank, or NH? If the latter, we are now officially worried about you.  ;D

Here is the kit list at the Strathcona's tank barn. 15x 2AM , 4 x2A4 (more on rte) 1x 2A6M (more on rte)

RECCE Sends

Nerf herder said:
... or LKE round which requires the longer gun for the extra muzzle pressures it requires. ...

Regards

Bit late, but no you don´t need the longer barrel to be able to fire DM53/DM63 rounds. Only the mounting and the recoil brakes have to be beefed up and the L44 can handle them to.
(I am sure that there is at least one L44 user who uses DM53/DM63 with there Leos. IIRC the swiss.) You just lose most of the performance gain of the stronger ammo without the longer barrel.

Regards,
ironduke57

ironduke57 said:
You just lose most of the performance gain of the stronger ammo without the longer barrel.

That's basically what I was trying to get across.    ;)

(Attempting to) revive the thread to find out what's the current status of the Leo 2 fleet WRT 2A4, 2A4M and 2A6M?
Does the average Tank sqn contain a fairly random mix of the 3 variants?
Do they concentrate the 6s in a single tp?

Thanks

myself.only said:
(Attempting to) revive the thread to find out what's the current status of the Leo 2 fleet WRT 2A4, 2A4M and 2A6M?
Does the average Tank sqn contain a fairly random mix of the 3 variants?
Do they concentrate the 6s in a single tp?

Thanks

Evenly spread between the LdSH and RCD.

Nerf herder said:
Evenly spread between the LdSH and RCD.

Sounds like the best way to sustain the skills across the Corps and I'm sure morale as well.

Thanks

myself.only said:
Sounds like the best way to sustain the skills across the Corps and I'm sure morale as well.

Thanks

Ya think?    ::)

myself.only said:
18 days later.... does it matter if I do?
But hey, thanks for your initial reply.

Some people work and don't have internet access in the field, there lips.

Most of the Leo 2A4 And A4M's are with the Strathcona's , and the Leo 2A6M's are coming back from rebuild all re painted in CARC green with the slat armour & attachments , Velcro cudda cam patches removed. Plus they have added front /rear updated camera's like the Leo 2A4M.

RECCE SENDS

People have a tendency to forget about the other tank squadron out east......

Back