• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leopard training

Foxman

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

This will be my first post on this forum. I have checked in over the last couple of years for random tips for courses and the like. I found it especially useful for CAP info as finding info about that course was like smacking your face off random things. Anyways....

I am about to component transfer to the reg force from reserve infantry officer. My choices are MP officer and Armoured officer.

While down at the CFRC, I was told by an armoured Capt that Leopard training has been moved to Mod 3. Everything else I've read says that you train on Leo only if you're selected, later on. He said that we will likely replace our MBT at the end of it's useful life (2012), and this is the reason.

Now I now the CFRC wouldn't tell a mild untruth to a potential candidate..........

Just wanted to confirm

Welcome to Army.ca.  Sounds like you actually received some fairly accurate info at the CFRC.

We now have only one Regiment, the Strathconas, with Leopard.  All of your phase training (DP1) will be on Coyote although you might see substitute vehicles during field training.  You will be trained as a Reconnaissance Troop Leader.

If you are destined for the Strathconas (LDsH) you will then receive Leopard training.  If you go Dragoon or 12 RBC then you just head to your Regiment and get cracking as a Recce Tp Leader. 

The Leopards will probably disappear by 2015, to be replaced by an unknown vehicle.  This is in flux right now, so don't worry too much about disinformation.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply 2 Bravo,

Here's another question that you may be able to answer:

How much control do you have over which regiment you go to? I am told that I would not go to 12 RBC as I am an anglo. I would like to go to the Dragoons as Pet is closer to my family.

Thoughts?

Foxman,

You do not have control over where you go, although you can certainly state your preference!  If the needs of the service and the desires of the individual are in sync then you are in luck.  The needs of the service, however, will trump the individual.

If a given regiment is low on junior officers then you will go where you are needed.  If there is only one francophone officer in your graduating class of Ph IV then you can bet a couple of anglos are going to Valcartier.  That being said, people often get what they ask for.  If you are from Ontario then it is entirely reasonable to ask for RCD.  Its an excellent choice if you ask me.

2B

Thanks again for your reply 2Bravo. I am hoping that my process moves quickly. I am told that I will need SLT, then straight to armour school. I'm straying from the original topic, however. I noticed that there could be some lag time between SLT and armoured school. What will happen during this period? Can I return home?

Everyone's experience is a bit different during the periods when you are in limbo.  Chances are, you'll be sent to Gagetown to await the start of your next course.  You might be sent on leave, but you will only have 20 days for the year.  Gagetown will try to keep you busy and fit during that period.

Do you already have CAP? 

Yes, I returned home from Gagetown about 3 weeks ago and have all but the final mod of CAP. That was the extent of the leave my civ. employer was willing to extend this summer. I am slated to do a decentralized Mod 5 this fall. While I don't really mind Gage, I have read on another completely unrelated thread (MPs I think), that some people have been sitting around in PAT platoons for upwards of a year. Is this accurate, and if so, is it typical of other trades?

If you are DEO then you can expect to have some waiting periods between training.  You might get OJT somewhere, or simply be given training and jobs in Gagetown to keep you fit.  Since it looks like you will have CAP done that will lessen your time and also make you somewhat employable (emphasis on somewhat).

I had some colleagues have to wait from Sep to May between Ph III and Ph IV.  They acted as enemy force crew commanders etc for other courses.  Use the time to get some OPMEs done and work out.

Cheers,

2B

Back