• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

lf Canadians will not support me now, I am compelled to join the Taliban

gun runner said:
Ok, SNAFU-BAR, so tell me would that be better than having non-combatants rushing at you? I for one would rather have the enemy show up looking for a fight,and finally be at the position of preparedness, than have the latter happen again and again. Wouldn't you? Ubique

All the locals know the drill, the main reason they disobey is the misguided thought that "they don't have to obey the infidels in my country" which is an almost direct quote from the 2 survivors I enountered after engaging a hostile vehicle with deadly force in seperate incidents. Too bad for them that they refuse to obey as if rarely ends up well on their side, I certainly didn't lose any sleep over it and congratulated my soldiers for doing the proper drill at the proper time.
  There is no way to tell a friendly veh from an enemy one, espescially when it is speeding towards you despite being warned off.

MG34 said:
All the locals know the drill, the main reason they disobey is the misguided thought that "they don't have to obey the infidels in my country" which is an almost direct quote from the 2 survivors I enountered after engaging a hostile vehicle with deadly force in seperate incidents.

Thanks for sharing that - I'm sure this, as well as other good info from in theatre, is being considered by those making and communicating the rules.

I agree with all who say, "if we agreed to pay, we have to pay" - hearts, minds, optics, call it what you like.  A deal has to be a deal, lest our credibility suffer. 

Meanwhile, adding to the CLIPINT here, here's a bit more information:  why there's a process in place, as well as a bit more info of the father's situation, courtesy of Canadian Press as of 16 Sept 08 - usual disclaimer and MSM caveats apply:
.... In a recent interview with The Canadian Press, the children's father Ruzi Mohammed said he has spoken with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Canadian officials from the Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team about financial compensation for the mistake.  Doing so, however, drew the attention of the Taliban. Insurgent threats have since driven Ruzi and his wife out of their home in Panjwaii.  Now forced to rent a small house in Kandahar City for 4,000 afghanis, or $90 Cdn a month, Ruzi expressed frustration with the amount of time it's taking to get full compensation.  The military has said it takes time because handing over a pile of cash would have put his life in danger. Instead, a representative from the PRT helped him open a bank account and the money is being deposited in four instalments.  The military wouldn't reveal the amount of the settlement.

And, according to at least one blogger, Canada is not paying quite enough for these incidents:
As we saw the other day, the Canadian Forces recently released data on the number of civilians killed and injured by our troops: 10 killed (now 11) and 30 injured. The same article relates how military officials are authorized to give up to $2,000 in compensation to families of those killed or injured.  Two thousand dollars is also the amount which US military officials are authorized to give out to Afghans as compensation. The problem is, this is an insultingly low figure....

Guess he missed these bits from the Globe & Mail:
Afghan families got up to $9,000 each for losing a family member....

or the National Post:
.... They have also started the process of deciding whether to pay compensation which, in past accidental killings, has ranged from $2,000 to $9,000 ....

It is a matter of perspective, isn't it.  $2,000, or even $9,000, would seem a pittance in "Canadian" dollars for a payment here in the West, but what does it really equate to in Afghanistan where annual incomes are only in the two figure range?

I wonder if that amount stated is in Afghan currency, or CDN $? It would be a fortune in afghan currency..no? Ubique

If you believe CP's statement re:  rent for Mr. Mohammed's house, then the range of compensation would be (to use one very rough indicator) between 22 and 100 months of rent.

If there's a $ sign in front, it'll be Canadian dollars.

TheHead said:
I thought we were over there to fight the insurgency, not promote it.  ::)

Sorry if it came off the wrong way. I"m just dying to get to the box.  :cdnsalute:

Back