• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remius said:
The War of 1812 was still in some people's minds.  A lot of people in the British Empire would have been fine with a fractured US at the time

It's much deeper than that though and needs to be looked at in light of the American policies of Manifest Destiny and the Monroe Doctrine and things like the Oregon territory and 54-40 or fight. I believe that defence of Canada from American invasion was the primary concern of the "army" as late as 1921

Donald H said:
I had already made it clear that I wasn't in favour of John A's head rolling. In the US it's not so much as their reasons are 200 years old, it's that the statues they're pulling down were erected much later for the effect they had on black people. Much the same as burning crosses and lynchings. While I would say that John A's stature wasn't erected for any such purpose, but more to honour him as our first P.M.

Still, those who pulled it down were very likely motivated by John A's track record on supporting slavery.

I DISAGREE.  They are nothing but squeaky wheels who think that this behaviour will bring change - and lots of it to jingle in their pockets. They could give a rats ass about 200 years ago, what is important is the $ they can rake in from guilty white liberal people.

suffolkowner said:
It's much deeper than that though and needs to be looked at in light of the American policies of Manifest Destiny and the Monroe Doctrine and things like the Oregon territory and 54-40 or fight. I believe that defence of Canada from American invasion was the primary concern of the "army" as late as 1921

Hi SO

(Off topic for a sec)
I'm pretty sure I read an account of Canada having plans to invade the U.S. back around (I'm guessing here) from around the Great War.

Hard to believe so maybe I misread or misunderstood - good time to ask about it

shawn5o said:
I'm pretty sure I read an account of Canada having plans to invade the U.S. back around (I'm guessing here) from around the Great War.

Hard to believe so maybe I misread or misunderstood - good time to ask about it

Defence Scheme No. 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Scheme_No._1

mariomike said:
Defence Scheme No. 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Scheme_No._1

Yeah that must be where I got the 1921 date from
"Defence Scheme No. 1 was created on April 12, 1921, " and "In 1928, Defence Scheme No. 1 was terminated by Chief of the General Staff Andrew McNaughton, who sought peaceful US-British relations."

Donald H said:
Still, those who pulled it down were very likely motivated by John A's track record on supporting slavery.

Where is it said that he supported slavery?

Canadian (i.e. British) “support” for the Confederacy was based on purely geopolitical considerations. The US was a rival and threat to the British in North America (i.e. Canada). A weakened US was good for Canada back then.  No more than that.

Macdonald held abysmal views on Indigenous peoples and other races, but nothing that would be considered outside the mainstream in the 19th century.

Statues of confederate generals were erected in the 20th century to put African-Americans “in their place”.

Remius said:
The War of 1812 was still in some people's minds.  A lot of people in the British Empire would have been fine with a fractured US at the time

It's a well known fact the the British Empire supported the CSA. The enemy of our enemy is our friend. Considering some of the horrible things that occured in 1812, a divided America would have been in everyone's best interests north of the boarder. Same way that a civil War in the USSR would have been in NATO's intrest.

>It's a well known fact the the British Empire supported the CSA.

Not strongly enough to matter.  CSA envoys didn't receive particularly warm receptions in Britain.  The British were at least smart enough to know that getting involved to any significant degree on the CSA's behalf would cost them their North American colonies.

Donald H said:

Probably not.  Probably a combination of protest-induced ‘thugism’ and latent anti-British sentiments from francophones.

In the "everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" department, WE Charity is closing its doors, and its founders, the Kielburger brothers, are leaving.

First reported by CanadaLand, other media are also carrying the story.

https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1303796557301592067

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/status/1303798781788540937

dapaterson said:
In the "everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" department, WE Charity is closing its doors, and its founders, the Kielburger brothers, are leaving.

First reported by CanadaLand, other media are also carrying the story.

https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1303796557301592067

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/status/1303798781788540937

It's Scheer and Polivere's fault.  Hundreds of jobs lost because, well, you know.

The real question here is, what did Harper know and when did he know it?

Jarnhamar said:
Time to burn the books and smash the hard drives I guess.

WE wasn’t a charity - it was a cult. Begone already and don’t let the doorknob hit you on the ass on the way out- thieves

It will be interesting to see what comes of the throne speech.

Will the Libs take a hard turn left absorbing the NDP and Greens? Would that make the CPC the new centrist party and the PPC the moderately right party?

QV said:
It will be interesting to see what comes of the throne speech.

Will the Libs take a hard turn left absorbing the NDP and Greens? Would that make the CPC the new centrist party and the PPC the moderately right party?

Going to far left may bleed the Blue libs from the party, as well as centrists. That would play poorly for them and possibly lead to another implosion next election of their numbers.

[quote author=QV]
Will the Libs take a hard turn left absorbing the NDP and Greens?
[/quote]

An about turn followed by fucking off would be better.

MilEME09 said:
Going to far left may bleed the Blue libs from the party, as well as centrists. That would play poorly for them and possibly lead to another implosion next election of their numbers.
I agree I think they are living dangerously but the Conservatives might have to shuffle to the left a little to pull it off. The Liberals and NDP what do they disagree on now?

suffolkowner said:
I agree I think they are living dangerously but the Conservatives might have to shuffle to the left a little to pull it off. The Liberals and NDP what do they disagree on now?

Probably most likely the Liberals will look closely at the Conservatives' rightness before making any big decisions. Health care for instance would depend on how much the Conservatives want to do to make it more like America's, while the NDP push from the other direction to make if more like the best in the world.

The NDP won't tolerate very much dickin around with our health care by Trudeau, assuming that the Liberals are even somewhat still right of center. I suspect that the Liberals have finally got completely on board with universal health care.

While we know that the Conservatives still see eye to eye with the Fraser Institute from time to time.

Can there be any mistaking what Canadians want in that respect any longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back