• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

I’m not against that to be honest. At 16 I knew what my political leanings were at that time.

Brain development continues until about 25. People aged 16 have a long way to go for mature brain development.

In order to vote you should meet the following criteria:

1. Age 25 to 75;
2. Pay income taxes above the min threshold; and
3. Be a citizen (though I'd entertain an argument for permanent residents).

We don't let 16 year olds, drink, buy weed, go to war, leave school without a parents permission, amongst a myriad of other adult decisions; and they are protected behind the young offenders act but we think they should have a say in the direction of the country ?
And at one time, women weren't allowed to vote in Canada because they were too "ungodly" and "weak" or because "men had greater capacity for reason and that men’s potential for military service justified more rights."

We trust a 16 year old with a gun, a car, getting a job and can technically still move out on their own if they want. I see no real issue other than those on the right that fear that vote.

Funny how some lament the future our children will inherit and yet have no issues telling them to sit down while the “adults” decide. I know a lot of under 18s more informed than some adults.

We trust a 16 year old with a gun, a car, getting a job and can technically still move out on their own if they want. I see no real issue other than those on the right that fear that vote.

Funny how some lament the future our children will inherit and yet have no issues telling them to sit down while the “adults” decide. I know a lot of under 18s more informed than some adults.

It really doesn't matter how I feel or anyone who doesn't agree. If the Dippers and Libs want it its going to happen.

I will just sit back and watch it all unfold.

It really doesn't matter how I feel or anyone who doesn't agree. If the Dippers and Libs want it its going to happen.

I will just sit back and watch it all unfold.
Of course they do. They know it benefits them. That does not mean a 16 year old should not be able to vote if deemed capable of doing so. If capable let them if not then don’t.

So far I don’t see much that convinces me that they are not capable of voting.

Of course they do. They know it benefits them. That does not mean a 16 year old should not be able to vote if deemed capable of doing so. If capable let them if not then don’t.

So far I don’t see much that convinces me that they are not capable of voting.
How many 16 year olds have you raised?

So if we l lower the voting age to 16 in Canada do we lower the eligibility to run in elections ? Or the senate, right now you have to be 30 ?

How about in municipal and Provincial elections, would this cover all elections in Canada ?

I mean if you can vote you can run, seems only fair.

So if we l lower the voting age to 16 in Canada do we lower the eligibility to run in elections ? Or the senate, right now you have to be 30 ?

How about in municipal and Provincial elections, would this cover all elections in Canada ?
Well, to be entirely fair, there are some folks below the age of 30 who might do a better job as a Senator than some of the incumbents. And that applies to all levels of politics. Sixteen may be a titch too young, but not all young adults are created equal, either.

Well, to be entirely fair, there are some folks below the age of 30 who might do a better job as a Senator than some of the incumbents. And that applies to all levels of politics. Sixteen may be a titch too young, but not all young adults are created equal, either.

But what about this:

At one time women couldn't run in politics either...

If were going to let them vote they should be able to run. That's how I see it. Cant have one without the other.

Probably for the same reasons they couldn't vote - and that eventually changed, too.

So... Is it:

They are equal but not quite equal enough for you ?

Or

You agree, if they can vote they can hold positions in parliament and the senate ?

I'm just a bit confused by your responses.

Brain development continues until about 25. People aged 16 have a long way to go for mature brain development.

In order to vote you should meet the following criteria:

1. Age 25 to 75;
2. Pay income taxes above the min threshold; and
3. Be a citizen (though I'd entertain an argument for permanent residents).
Sounds like ancient Sparta, except they were required to have served in the army as well.

No one runs for senate at this time. Age to run is in the elections act. It states that anyone eligible to vote can run. Not exactly in those words but essentially the same. but if they change the voting age I would assume they would change the age to run.

Sure. And where does it go? Telus's profit margin is running around 7.5%. BCE's is around 12.5% and Rogers's is around 11.5%. Explain whether these margins are excessively high or not, and if you think they are, why.
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

They installed it knowing full well it may be banned, they can suck it up and say to have it removed.

One. Your point being?
Four here, two of each, and at 16 I wasn't very happy about giving the hormonally supercharged little darlings a cell phone, let alone the power to effect the running of the nation. But of course yours was/is probably the most super responsible mature adult(ish) person, like, ever. Mine were typical teenagers with all the focus of a goldfish.

• Humorous
Reactions: QV

So what? How many 18 to 20 year olds have run as candidates in federal elections in the more than 50 years since the voting age was lowered to 18? Or more specifically, how many have been elected . . . some, but all (save one 20 y.o. elected in 1974) ended up on the Hill due to the unique circumstances that saw the NDP make incredible gains in Quebec in the 2011 election. One held his seat in the next election but the other youngsters went back and finished their degrees at McGill.

As for provinces following suit, BC held to age 21 for provincial elections until 1992, 22 years after the federal change.

Four here, two of each, and at 16 I wasn't very happy about giving the hormonally supercharged little darlings a cell phone, let alone the power to effect the running of the nation. But of course yours was/is probably the most super responsible mature adult(ish) person, like, ever. Mine were typical teenagers with all the focus of a goldfish.
Not sure why you want to get that way discussing this. Seriously. Come back with a serious argument for or against. My kid and yours are anectodal. Using your kids or mine as examples is a weak argument and frankly unbecoming of what I’ve seen you capable of posting.

Do better.

Anyways…

Scotland and Austria currently have their voting age at 16. In Scotland apparently they saw decent benefits of increasing turn out and voting habits by allowing that.

Also this link shows an interesting pro vs con that is US centric but could apply here as well.

Depends on how one feels about it. Personally I think the pros outweigh the cons despite the obvious political reasons for why the LPC and NDP would want this.

Not sure why you want to get that way discussing this. Seriously. Come back with a serious argument for or against. My kid and yours are anectodal. Using your kids or mine as examples is a weak argument and frankly unbecoming of what I’ve seen you capable of posting.

Do better.

First off, anybody painting "conservatives" of being partisan on this issue should just be smacked. It's a partisan play by the left to lower it and sure, the conservatives have a partisan interest in not having it lowered... but anyone trying to argue one party is being partisan and another is just being virtuous needs to smack themselves.

So pushing partisanship aside because I just want good governments and policies, I'm against lowering the voting age, I actually might be in favour of raising it. At the end of the day, humans develop differently and there is no one day we can pick, 16th, 17th, 18th, or 25th birthday, that has a nice clean cut-off as "you've now got a reasonably developed adult brain to work with," since some will be there at 18 while others won't reach it until 25, and others will never reach it. That's why it's called the age of majority in that, for the majority of people will have a reasonably developed brain (of which there is also no objective standard).

I think a lot of that brain development has to do with the responsibilities we give people, a bit of a chicken or the egg game. I know moving out at 18 made me grow up quicker, I know being a Pl Comd at 22 made me grow up quicker. The trend these days is that adolescent youth are taking on less and less of those responsibilities. They are moving out later, entering careers later, it's completely common to have someone's parents calling a professor in post-secondary or dealing with post-secondary administration on issues, etc. Couple that with the evolving scientific literature that says adolescence continues into the mid-20s. There seems to be nothing that suggests that the age of majority should be lowered because "kids these days" are growing up faster / brain development is happening earlier, quite the opposite.

What "benefits" are there, exactly? A higher voting turn-out? How is that a benefit? I would challenge the idea that that in and of itself is a benefit. If higher voter turn-out is an indisputable benefit, then the argument should be about mandatory voting.

Also the whole "well it's their future, they should be able to vote on it," ummmm okay? Then why not start letting 8 year olds vote?

Now, here's a real interesting thought experiment that will probably raise a fuss... female brains tend to develop faster than male brains. How about different ages of majority for boys and girls, with the ladies getting to vote earlier.

Back