• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life as an Infantry Soldier?

I have my interview on feb 24 at the London, ON CFRC. I was wondering if anyone could share some info on what its like to be an infantry soldier, what kind of training will i be going, where would i most likely get posted, what happens after BMQ. I just really want to be well prepared for my interview. I'd appreciate any information.  :salute:

DeadEye229 said:
I have my interview on feb 24 at the London, ON CFRC. I was wondering if anyone could share some info on what its like to be an infantry soldier, what kind of training will i be going, where would i most likely get posted, what happens after BMQ. I just really want to be well prepared for my interview. I'd appreciate any information.  :salute:

I know I am Armour, but Infantry soldiers in the Canadian Forces are among the smartest and knowledgeable of all Infantry soldiers in the world.  They are very skilled at what they do, and not afraid to use their initiative.  You can practice your initiative by reading this whole topic and get a feel what it is like to be in the Canadian Infantry and some of the courses you may find yourself on.  Have fun. 

DeadEye229 said:

Straight from wikipedia...

Regular Force infantry regiments and battalions of the Canadian Army are:
The Royal Canadian Regiment
1st Battalion (CFB Petawawa) – mechanized infantry
2nd Battalion (CFB Gagetown) – mechanized infantry
3rd Battalion (CFB Petawawa) – light infantry (includes parachute company)
Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
1st Battalion (CFB Edmonton) – mechanized infantry
2nd Battalion (CFB Shilo) – mechanized infantry
3rd Battalion (CFB Edmonton) – light infantry (includes parachute company)
Royal 22e Régiment
1er Bataillon (CFB Valcartier) – mechanized infantry
2e Bataillon (Quebec City) – mechanized infantry
3e Bataillon (CFB Valcartier) – light infantry (includes parachute company)

Wikipedia, forces.ca, this website and some effort are a pretty good place to start.

Basic, Intermediate, Advanced communicator
Basic Reconnaissance Patrolman -> Advanced Reconnaissance Patrolman
Basic Sniper ->advanced Sniper
Unarmed Combat (Close quarters Combat basic) -> unarmed combat instructor (CQCI)
Driver (wheeled and tracked vehicles)
Crew commander
Platoon support weapons member including Automatic Grenade Launcher System
Basic first aid -> Combat First aid -> tactical combat casualty care (TCCC) course
Basic Paratrooper -> Free fall type dude. -> Basic and free fall instructor
Conduct after capture instructor
Drop Zone controller
US Air assault course

Man the list goes on. You can't afford NOT to stick with the infantry!

I just wrote my cfat, and apparently I did really well. My recruiter said Infantry ncm reg is very competitive. They have more applicants than positions. I was wondering what my chances of actually being offered a job are. Is it really that competitive? Or, am I simply over thinking it?

There are 441 positions open for FY 2014-2015. There are in the words of my recruiter upwards of 10,000 applicants who list infantry as choice on their application. Probably half of that actually make it pass the CFAT, medical, interview leaving around 4000-5000 people fighting for 441 spots. Recruiters will never tell you how well you did on your CFAT and the score in the new application process is more important then ever.

So, it's about as bad i thought. She never gave me a score on my cfat, just said I scored high above average for most people applying to Infantry. Thanks for the response!

KerryBlue said:
There are 441 positions open for FY 2014-2015. There are in the words of my recruiter upwards of 10,000 applicants who list infantry as choice on their application. Probably half of that actually make it pass the CFAT, medical, interview leaving around 4000-5000 people fighting for 441 spots. Recruiters will never tell you how well you did on your CFAT and the score in the new application process is more important then ever.

The numbers you have are WAY out of whack in terms applications in the system applying for infantry.  There are probably 4-5000 active applications TOTAL in the system for ALL trades.  And even that would be a high number. 

Hatchet Man said:
The numbers you have are WAY out of whack in terms applications in the system applying for infantry.  There are probably 4-5000 active applications TOTAL in the system for ALL trades.  And even that would be a high number.

Seems like my recruiter hasn't been very honest with me then. When I spoke to him yesterday I asked him about further processing etc, and he told me that Ottawa alone was dealing with 6,000 applications. And no I didn't mishear he was very specific in saying that.

KerryBlue said:
Seems like my recruiter hasn't been very honest with me then. When I spoke to him yesterday I asked him about further processing etc, and he told me that Ottawa alone was dealing with 6,000 applications. And no I didn't mishear he was very specific in saying that.

Someones sarcasm abilities need work, I worked at CFRC Toronto, in a year about 1500-2000 files are processed (that's being generous), and Toronto is the largest CFRC in the country.  But before things spiral out of hand of who said what, there is difference between an application and a file.  I used the wrong term in the in my last post.  There are about 4-5000 active files (ie people who have met basic eligibility and if I remember correctly passed the CFAT, or at least have been booked for one, and the file is passed off to file managers and career counselors). 

Hatchet Man said:
Someones sarcasm abilities need work, I worked at CFRC Toronto, in a year about 1500-2000 files are processed (that's being generous), and Toronto is the largest CFRC in the country.  But before things spiral out of hand of who said what, there is difference between an application and a file.  I used the wrong term in the in my last post.  There are about 4-5000 active files (ie people who have met basic eligibility and if I remember correctly passed the CFAT, or at least have been booked for one, and the file is passed off to file managers and career counselors).

So exactly what he said then?

AmmoTech90 said:
So exactly what he said then?

No, not even close.  There are MAYBE  4-5000 applicant files (as opposed to prospect files which I will explain),  TOTAL, across the entire recruting system for ALL TRADES. 

There are 2 types of files and applicants

Prospects:  Which is likely what this recruiter is talking about.  Really a meaningless number, since ANYONE (especially with this push for online recruiting), can become a prospect, whether they are suitable or not.  At this stage all that really happens is a recruiter reviews an application and support documents to ensure a prospect meets the basic eligibility (Age, Citizenship and Education).  If a person on a whim at 4am decides to put in an application, but never follows up sending their documents, they are still a prospect.  There is really no competition at this stage, and so long as you meet the basic eligibility criteria, you will likely get a CFAT, it's just a matter of volume, and limited test slots.

Applicants:  You have written a CFAT (pass or fail), and NOW the CAF is starting to look closely at you and compare you to other APPLICANTS (not PROSPECTS).  Like I said the number of APPLICANTS in the system is significantly smaller than PROSPECTS.  So if you are at the APPLICANT stage, you no longer need concern yourself with the number of PROSPECTS.

That actually makes much more sense, when you put it that way. Thanks for the clarification.

So, now that I am in the applicant stage, how heavy is the competition between myself, and the other applicants hoping for infantry? I was told to sit tight for 2-3 weeks while they assess my scores, and application further. Im just cooking in a pot of worry, and doubt right now haha

DeadLiftKid said:
So, now that I am in the applicant stage, how heavy is the competition between myself, and the other applicants hoping for infantry? I was told to sit tight for 2-3 weeks while they assess my scores, and application further. Im just cooking in a pot of worry, and doubt right now haha

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt  ;)

It sounds cliche but worrying about it won't change anything except take away valuable gym time.  Go work out.  Every time you worry or think about whether you'll make it or not do 25 push ups.

DeadLiftKid said:

No one here can tell you (as with anything to do with recruiting), as the competition changes daily with new people being added, removed etc. If you are currently playing the waiting game, worry about things you DO have control over, as OZ mentioned, like your physical fitness.

where will i get the most opportunities for training (where would you suggest i request to be posted) i know they say you get equal chances for training regardless where your posted but it seems like the majority of training takes place at ppcli should i worry about this at all? i requested petawawa as im from ontario but i'de sooner go where the most opportunity is

TheBoiMC said:
where will i get the most opportunities for training (where would you suggest i request to be posted) i know they say you get equal chances for training regardless where your posted but it seems like the majority of training takes place at ppcli

All the regiments do the same courses, conduct exercises within Canada and sometimes in the US, etc. You will be well trained no matter where you end up. Also, don't get too wrapped up over courses/opportunities you may or may not get.

TheBoiMC said:
i requested petawawa as im from ontario but i'de sooner go where the most opportunity is

I believe you mean, you requested your regimental affiliation to be The RCR. You pick the regiment you want to join, not the base. Also, if you do get into Infantry for RCR you may not end up in Petawawa. The second battalion of the regiment is located in Gagetown, NB; only the first and third are in Petawawa.

Back