• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life as an Infantry Soldier?

TheBoiMC said:
where will i get the most opportunities for training (where would you suggest i request to be posted) i know they say you get equal chances for training regardless where your posted but it seems like the majority of training takes place at ppcli should i worry about this at all? i requested petawawa as im from ontario but i'de sooner go where the most opportunity is

Proper punctuation, appropriate capitalization, and sentence structure are expected here. Please adjust your posting style accordingly.

Loachman said:
Proper punctuation, appropriate capitalization, and sentence structure are expected here. Please adjust your posting style accordingly.

TheBoiMC said:
Where will I get the most opportunities for training? Any suggestions as to where I should request to be posted?

I know they say you get equal chances for training, regardless of where you're posted, but it seems like the majority of training takes place at PPCLI. Should I worry about this at all?

I requested to be posted in Petawawa as I am from Ontario, but I would prefer to go where the most opportunity lies.

There you go.

Sharp said:
There you go.

What is it about lanes that you fail to understand?

Here's a little more help.

Think long and hard about your posts from now on. You're reaching the top rung in a hurry.

---Staff---

Sorry everyone for my lack of punctuation, etc. in my last post. I wasn't aware of the rules of this forum. Again sorry to inconvenience anyone.

Thank you Hoplite for your answer to my question. Upon reading the thread "Comparing the Regiments (PPCLI, RCR, and R22eR) and thier bases" I found quite a bit of info I was looking for. I'm still a little unsure of how the affiliation works, could I be affiliated with RCR but posted to a PPCLI regiment :S ? Please explain further how this works if you don't mind. I would also like to get a  general idea of where I would ideally want to be, what is "the place to be" in general? I understand it is ultimately not really up to me however I have also been told that personal preferences/requests do come into play.

TheBoiMC said:
I'm still a little unsure of how the affiliation works, could I be affiliated with RCR but posted to a PPCLI regiment

No; if you choose RCR, you will be posted to a RCR battalion.

During the recruiting process, you pick if you want to be RCR, PPCLI, or R22eR. If you pick RCR, you will be sent to Meaford, On to do your Infantry training then posted to 1 or 3 RCR in Petawawa, or 2RCR in Gagetown. However, if you pick PPCLI you will be sent to Wainwright, Ab for your Infantry training than posted to 1 or 3 PPCLI in Edmonton, Ab, or 2PPCLI in Shilo, Mb.

TheBoiMC said:
I would also like to get a  general idea of where I would ideally want to be, what is "the place to be" in general? I understand it is ultimately not really up to me however I have also been told that personal preferences/requests do come into play.

Where you end up depends on the needs of the regiment; at some point during DP1 Infantry your course will be told what battalion you will all be going to. You don't get to pick what battalion/base you end up at. The only personal preference you get, is the regiment you wish to serve with.

The difference between the battalions is that the first and second battalions are mechanized(LAVIIIs), and the third is light and has the jump company(Paratroopers).

You can be posted from one Regiment to another, and this will involve changing your Regimental Affiliation. 

Hoplite- said:
No; if you choose RCR, you will be posted to a RCR battalion.

During the recruiting process, you pick if you want to be RCR, PPCLI, or R22eR. If you pick RCR, you will be sent to Meaford, On to do your Infantry training then posted to 1 or 3 RCR in Petawawa, or 2RCR in Gagetown. However, if you pick PPCLI you will be sent to Wainwright, Ab for your Infantry training than posted to 1 or 3 PPCLI in Edmonton, Ab, or 2PPCLI in Shilo, Mb.

Where you end up depends on the needs of the regiment; at some point during DP1 Infantry your course will be told what battalion you will all be going to. You don't get to pick what battalion/base you end up at. The only personal preference you get, is the regiment you wish to serve with.

The difference between the battalions is that the first and second battalions are mechanized(LAVIIIs), and the third is light and has the jump company(Paratroopers).

So if I wanted to ever be para I would have to get posted to 3rd battalion? Would I be able to request a transfer at a later date?

You can request all you like, it is the needs of the service that will decide.  Sometimes (actual I think most times) it is pure luck, being in the right place at the right time.

Yes, you would need to be in the 3rd battalion if you wanted to be in a jump company. If you are in the 1st or 2nd battalion, like dangerboy said you can request it, but you may not get it.

Also, you do not need to be in a 3rd battalion to get onto the Basic Parachutist Course, just right place at the right time.

Important notice.

Please stop going through basic training and battle school talking non-stop about getting a jump course, it doesn't make you look bad ass.

That is all.

DeadLiftKid said:
2015 Infantry Selection dates? Does anyone have an estimate on when they might be?

On going and I think the next firm NCM selection date is Jan 19.  Someone was selected as an Infmn right before the holidays, and I believe that at this time of year if there is space you will be picked up regardless of what the hard selection dates are.

dangerboy said:
You can request all you like, it is the needs of the service that will decide.  Sometimes (actual I think most times) it is pure luck, being in the right place at the right time.

True, with the addition that those who volunteer for para courses are often vetted by the parachute alumni. If you don't measure up.....then forget it.

Can any current Infantry soldiers provide a look into how life as an Infantry soldier in 2015 in the Regular Force is now? I'm looking for information regarding

- What exercises do you go on?
- How often are courses like Basic Para, Driver Wheel are available?
- How often do you now spend in the field?
- What kind of career progression can a NCM go through in 2015 and beyond

Career progression I assume you mean specifically promotions?  You still need time in to get promotion to Cpl, as well as requiring DP2A/Weapon Det Member to be get onto PLQ Infantry to become a MCpl, etc. Competency and showing your CoC you can take on a leadership role is important.

Driver wheel is fairly common, more common than B Para. Availability of B Para will depend on the unit(3rd Bn will get more seats compared to a mech bn). The school still runs multiple serials a year as well the course has been exported to Edmonton and Petawawa in the past.

As for what exercises do reg force Infantry go on, what specifically are you looking for/asking?

LightFighter said:
Career progression I assume you mean specifically promotions?  You still need time in to get promotion to Cpl, as well as requiring DP2A/Weapon Det Member to be get onto PLQ Infantry to become a MCpl, etc.

Competency and showing your CoC you can take on a leadership role is also important.

Driver wheel is fairly common, more common than B Para. Availability of B Para will depend on the unit(3rd Bn will get more seats compared to a mech bn). The school still runs multiple serials a year as well the course has been exported to Edmonton and Petawawa in the past.

In regards to exercises I mean international exercises, working with other Combat Arm branches, competitions etc

Thanks, Lightfighter. How long after DP1 can a NCM be eligible for these types of courses? Are courses like Communications, Driver Wheel more common whereas Basic Para, Basic Recce are more for those with the rank of Cpl and above?

Ptes can and do attend B Para and I'm sure some have done Basic Recce(this course is run by the battalion, but generally not that often).

Going to the US and Europe for an exercise do happen but it typically isn't something done once a year and if it does happen it may only involve one rifle company and possible Recce/Snipers not the entire battalion.

Plus, there is the Op Reassurance rotations.

You are eligible for a number of courses after DP1, it's just a matter of course availability and you getting course loaded, etc.

FortYorkRifleman said:
Can any current Infantry soldiers provide a look into how life as an Infantry soldier in 2015 in the Regular Force is now? I'm looking for information regarding

- What exercises do you go on?
- How often are courses like Basic Para, Driver Wheel are available?
- How often do you now spend in the field?
- What kind of career progression can a NCM go through in 2015 and beyond

I assume you mean life for an infantry soldier starting their career in a Reg Force Infantry Battalion? 
  1.  All of them.  In seriousness, the unit will typically run (at a minimum) one large fall Ex and one large spring Ex (around 2-4 weeks each).  I've seen them focused on anything from section level tactics to Bde level exercises and everything in between.  It changes from year to year as each unit gets included in Exs, runs their own, is supporting other units, etc.  Sometimes that will mean the "fun" postings elsewhere, but far more often will be done right here in Canada.  You will work with other Combat Arms branches often.
  2. PCF (Primary Combat Function) style courses, like driver wheel run fairly regularly throughout the year.  Things like Basic Para are conducted less often, but there are still opportunities if you show potential and it fits with the training objectives of the unit.  There is still very much established the notion that a new DP1 grad needs to spend enough time getting to know his primary job, before he gets loaded on all the other courses - though your mileage may vary.  Ptes, especially those who demonstrate maturity and potential, can be picked up for a variety of interesting courses.
  3. Impossible to say for certain.  Some years it was closer to 5 months, others barely 2.
  4. There are lots of threads on NCM career progression on the boards here - No need to tread on old material.  In short, work hard and show potential and the career will follow.

LightFighter said:
Ptes can and do attend B Para and I'm sure some have done Basic Recce(this course is run by the battalion, but generally not that often).

Going to the US and Europe for an exercise do happen but it typically isn't something done once a year and if it does happen it may only involve one rifle company and possible Recce/Snipers not the entire battalion.

Plus, there is the Op Reassurance rotations.

You are eligible for a number of courses after DP1, it's just a matter of course availability and you getting course loaded, etc.

Great info. How much attention do you guys pay to cardio? Is that the most important aspect of physical training I should focus on? I recently began "bulking" and have gone from 140 lbs to 143 in about a month. I can run 5km in under 25 minutes and am now looking to do 6km runs and beyond.

Ayrsayle said:
I assume you mean life for an infantry soldier starting their career in a Reg Force Infantry Battalion? 
  1.  All of them.  In seriousness, the unit will typically run (at a minimum) one large fall Ex and one large spring Ex (around 2-4 weeks each).  I've seen them focused on anything from section level tactics to Bde level exercises and everything in between.  It changes from year to year as each unit gets included in Exs, runs their own, is supporting other units, etc.  Sometimes that will mean the "fun" postings elsewhere, but far more often will be done right here in Canada.  You will work with other Combat Arms branches often.
  2. PCF (Primary Combat Function) style courses, like driver wheel run fairly regularly throughout the year.  Things like Basic Para are conducted less often, but there are still opportunities if you show potential and it fits with the training objectives of the unit.  There is still very much established the notion that a new DP1 grad needs to spend enough time getting to know his primary job, before he gets loaded on all the other courses - though your mileage may vary.  Ptes, especially those who demonstrate maturity and potential, can be picked up for a variety of interesting courses.
  3. Impossible to say for certain.  Some years it was closer to 5 months, others barely 2.
  4. There are lots of threads on NCM career progression on the boards here - No need to tread on old material.  In short, work hard and show potential and the career will follow.

I figured given how many Infantry NCM positions there are this fiscal year many of the qualified soldiers in B Para, B Recce etc have retired, released or OT'd allowing for more opportunities for these courses to be had by Pte's/Cpls. Is that a fair assumption?

Back