• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M134D MiniGun for CH-146 Griffons

Better hook up with the PHYSOP guys when they get there and get outfitted with some amps.  ;D
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7XNb3Q9Ek&feature=related

Cataract Kid said:
Better hook up with the PHYSOP guys when they get there and get outfitted with some amps.  ;D

We used to have speaker systems for the Kiowa and Twin Huey. We should have kept them, or bought new ones, for the Griffon. Very useful in disaster relief.

I have a question (again):

I understand that for political reasons we are saddled with the Griffon. When will the politicians realize that maybe, just MAYBE that there is better kit "on the shelf"?
OK this leads to another question:

Have any pilots on this thread flown the Blackhawk? I've flown in them, and they seem to be OK. Opinions?? :cdn:

Cataract Kid said:

The Taliban will learn to dread the sound of Stompin' Tom!

Stompin' Tom vs Flight of the Valkyries ?? They'll giggle themselves to death.... ;D

While this is very much a likely reality, timeline is always an unknown factor, that is when are we going to truly see them? I know that they are training some grunts down in Borden right now as door gunners, the inclusion of a second FE is definitely out, I would say the mission spec and another grunt with the occasional ex grunt wearing blue will man the guns.....time will of course tell with all things, hopefully sooner than later. :cdn: ;D

Blue Grunt,

That training was with the C6.  The two events are not necessarily related.

The intent is to use the Griffons for strictly top cover. No trooplift.

you know I heard about this a while back and kind of lauphed.  I love going for a ride in the Griffon, nothing like having the pilot push my guts into my head or feet.  but as for CAS.  well the A-10 is slow and it kills things I guess it will work.  I'm just not sold on using Griffons for anything more then transport, it seems like we'd be turning them into RPG bait even with the best pilots on the planet.  don't get me wrong I would love to play with a mini, and I'm sure the 421er's are going to be jumping at the chance to play with a new system and the guys flying are going to love having the onbord ability to whipe out life in a small grid square but again, low and slow even if your crankin and bankin

I love when people that have no experience with the Griffon offer their opinion.  It was interesting yesterday and today when I saw two Twin Hueys flying at midday both times.  Didn't previous threads state that the Griffon couldn't fly in KAF due to the altitude and heat?  BS.

A Griffon would not be used for CAS.

The Griffon can be used for a variety of tasks.  I say again, a Griffon does not equal a Chinook.  Please everyone, get that out of your heads.  Anybody at all with experience in Afghanistan would be able to pick one or two tasks that the Griffon could easily do and this equals helping to save lives.  Like my other posts in other threads said, you use the machine that you're given for what it can do.  I can think of a lot more than two, but my experience with this particular helo matters not to those much wiser who laugh at the thought of the Griffon coming to Afghanistan (I grow tired of misinformed opinions and thus the sarcasm).

Scoobs said:
I love when people that have no experience with the Griffon offer their opinion.

I personally love speculation from all the "experts," on what Canada will do with the Griffon. Those who know are just sitting back and chuckling to themselves while reading these types of threads.

Instead of sitting back and "chuckling" why don't those who know offer to share their knowledge? It may seem like fun and games on here, but when your butt is on the line its nice to know that those who have the knowledge will share it.
I did not state I was an expert, but I am an infantryman whose troops could depend on choppers...so lighten up and enlighten us that don't know.

I would share what I know, but then I do not want to break OP SEC. Thats why I say those who know are sitting back. I'm not trying to pick on anyone and I'm not even saying some people are wrong or right. Thats why its remaining at speculation, because there are people in the know and probably know far more than me, but cannot weigh in.

I have spoken to those intimately "in the know". Instead of mouthing off about what you think you know, why not offer another viewpoint?

I grow constantly annoyed with those that think just because my MOC says 0010 (formerly 031) they think I know nothing.
There is a perception out there that we infanteers are just stooooopid idiots because we "close with and destroy the enemy". Some of the most intellignet bright people I know are in teh infantry. Don't presume to dismiss us as "speculators"
Welshy,,,,dont' presume to lecture about OPSEC. we all know what it is,,,,and some of this is readily available on MSM

Where do I start .

1.The Griffin in the Sandbox, while some are correct in stating that it could not fly over there but only half right, the problem is that is definitely could not fly in Kabul, altitude and heat are against it, Kandahar is lower in altitude though not in heat.

2. Close Air Support, that is likely the role it could fulfill over there, troop lift, never going to happen, the A/C does not have the power in its current configuration, when I talk about config a I am talking about the mast itself. ( the blades attach to the head, the head is mounted on the mast, the mast is what translates all the energy developed by the engines. simplified version)

The Chinooks will need support, hence we outfit the Griffion with guns and the Chinooks will have a flying Buddy to suppress those on the ground that don't wish to see it landing at all with 40 odd troops or artillery  slung below or any of the other myriad of possible variations that it would be employed in.

The Griffin could fly in the south, some restrictions obviously, the only armour would be the seat, anything else and it will not work, also the A/C will also need to go on a diet of sorts, any and all useless equipment will not be tolerated (not that the Giffion purchase should have ever been, strictly politics) the big factor in all of this of course will be what configuration of door guns ammo load and crew can fly and accomplish the job. you don't need an F.E. on board to fire a door gun period. In the civilian world he has been replaced with a simple mirror on the skids that the pilot can see through the chin bubble, his bloated carcasses weight would be better utilized in more ammo. If the new gun is used it will weigh more and the amount of ammo carried will significantly increase ( I am speculating on that no real figures on this)

The biggest question on all of this will be, if and when they send the Griffin, because the Chinooks are coming, they just announced six used ones from the U.S. as reported n Janes Defence weekly (22 Mar 08... http://jdw.janes.com/public/jdw/index.shtmlcom/public/jdw/index.shtml)... we will see what happens real soon I am sure.

:cdn: :salute: :cdn:

You DO need and FE, as well as door gunners.
The door gun crse is going to be run in G-Town this spring/summer. The reservist's have been given the job of providing pers for this one.

Back