• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M203 operator

A suggestion:  worry about the basic weapons on basic...They can be difficult enough for some people.  The 203 - and other things - will come soon enough.

Ok thanks, thats all i need to know ;D
Ill just imagine i got one.
"Private what the  >:D are you doing"
"Firing a nade, sir"
:eek: ??? :eek:

AZA-02 said:
Ok thanks, thats all i need to know ;D
Ill just imagine i got one.
"Private what the   >:D are you doing"
"Firing a nade, sir"
:eek: ??? :eek:

Call me old fashion but i though they were called "grenades".......or are you just trying to be cool ?  

also nice of you to assume you are going to graduate on october 12.............good luck though

BIQ course has an M203 portion, then after that you can hump it for the rest of the course and enjoy the weight all the while knowing you won't fire it for the next 8 weeks.

MJP said:
Well I believe 48th.....I haven't seen him spread ANY BS on this site ever and take what he says at it full face value.

If the SAT worked for him that's cool, however I find the SAT of very dubious value for most if not all weapons systems.  Practice is the key mentioned several times, something we never seem to get enough of.

While live practice is, ofcourse, always better, the SAT system is an excellent tool for improving shooting ability on all of our small-arms.  For instance, teaching on recent DP2A courses, I've seen soldiers (with a C7) go from a 150mm grouping to a 60mm grouping after 2 days practice on the SAT.  When we later went to a live range, the grouping capacity remained the same as on the SAT or improved further, so the skills are deffinitely transferable.  It's a cheap, effective alternative, but like any tool it has to be used properly.  Personaly I think it's a shame we don't use these systems more often, especialy within reserve units.

Ok im sorry there called Grenades, and yes im keeping a possitive attidude by saying im going to graduate.
I dont feel cool nore special, i will as soon has i graduate. Thank you for helping the recrument process by saying positive things to all of us. May i say that it was my thread and if you didnt want to help me find an answear to my problem you should have started one about me being cool because i said nade, and oh funnny you understood what nade means, how funny...

Thanks to everyone else :salute:

AZA-02 said:
Ok im sorry there called Grenades, and yes im keeping a possitive attidude by saying im going to graduate.
I dont feel cool nore special, i will as soon has i graduate. Thank you for helping the recrument process by saying positive things to all of us. May i say that it was my thread and if you didnt want to help me find an answear to my problem you should have started one about me being cool because i said nade, and oh funnny you understood what nade means, how funny...

Thanks to everyone else :salute:

Ive gotten into the habit of saying nade from Halo, and Counter strike... but i would really really not recomend calling it a nade on course  :salute:

AZA-02 said:
Ok im sorry there called Grenades

Well if you want to get down with the lingo, it's actually refered to as a 'Bomb'.  Though the 203 looks cool, the canadian version can not be outdone when dealing with weight, even when coupled with the C8HB (in fact weighted more than being coupled to a C7A1).  As for Bomb weight, when employed properly 10 is sufficient on the pers (within the web gear, or drop leg), the remaining can be placed in you ruck or Lav which ever is applicable.  Just to add insult to injury, the hill does not use the Canadian version, it uses the lighter American version with a flip sight mounted above the barrel.  So go figure, they went with what worked and didn't take the weight.  I'll tell you though in a pinch the issued 203 would make a great hand to hand tool with all that weight behind it!  Good luck in basic, just remember that proficiency is expected in all wpn systems and you might just find in the end you'd like to be a C-9 gunner. Either way that decision in the end is usually left to the person in charge when you get to BN and that'll be your Section Comd. - Cheers!

if 48th can do that, I want him in my section. Personally, I hate the new system. I loved the old one.

What I don't understand is, why were you shooting an M203 at a fig 11? Shouldn't you have been using the system to pin down/destroy a section? Or open a door? Or maybe take out a soft-skinned vehicle? What was your scenario?

Screw you all. I'm calling them "nades" from now on. New army all the way, dude.

Well I'd have to see 48th to believe it, that's just the way I am. Not trying to call you a liar, but I don't believe everything I read.
I have never used the M203 on the SATS before, I usually focus on C7/C9, plus we don't normally have anything operating other than the 2 very often.

At least in the reserve The 203 and the 84 are the ultimate in let downs on exercise.... At first you think 'Oh cool, some fire-power', then you realise that you are carrying the extra weight of a tube that will remain empty (at best) or get loaded with dummy rounds (not at best) which you also get to carry. Notional fire-power...fun. Getting one is as easy as being in the wrong place at the wrong timeand being told to sign for one. Or in the case of the 84, you probably got noticed in a bad way or were in weapons det.

On the other hand when you sign for the extra weight of a C6 or a C9 you get to do something with it.

paracowboy said:
What I don't understand is, why were you shooting an M203 at a fig 11? Shouldn't you have been using the system to pin down/destroy a section? Or open a door? Or maybe take out a soft-skinned vehicle? What was your scenario?

On the SAT, the first of the long-range practices is firing at 3 x fig 11's.  Live we fired at numerous targets, including rusted out tank hulls, ILTIS roofs, a bunker, and figure 11's.  Either way, if you're trying to take out a section, you should generaly shoot at the center of the section or in this case, the center fig 11, which is what I was doing.

GerryCan said:
Well I'd have to see 48th to believe it, that's just the way I am. Not trying to call you a liar, but I don't believe everything I read.
I have never used the M203 on the SATS before, I usually focus on C7/C9, plus we don't normally have anything operating other than the 2 very often.

No problem, I don't beleive everything I read either.  Anyway, as far as this thread goes my "skills" are irrelevant; my original point was that the M-203 is a very accurate weapon when employed propperly, which is something I'm sure you can agree with.

You should really get whoever's running the SAT range to hook up other weapons once in a while.  Considering the difference a good M-203 grenadier can make at the section level, it's rather silly not to have the troops practice it on a regular basis.

We don't use the SAT room nearly as often as we'd like due to lack of people to operate or it being out of commision. Like I said earlier though, we mainly focus on C7 principles (atleast as long as I've been using it) so we don't fire 203 on it too often. I've fired the M72 on it a few times, but that's about her. Just for my own interest : M203's max eff. range is 300m right? I canvassed around because I can't remember since it was battle school when I learned it, some said 3 and others 4, I'm under the impression that it's 3. 48th?

M2o3... $2500
20rds of 40mm HE amunition... $900
Having to carry sed amunition and M2o3 for days strait... priceless (a.k.a... Pain in the ***)

Well why do we bother having grenade (bomb) lauchers then???

distance my boy distance.....

I m203 will toss one further then anyone can chuck one.  heavy yes, but worth thier weight in gold on the battlefield.

Back