• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M203 Question

Trogdor

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a search here and couldn't find the answer to my question.  So here it goes.

On operations how many M203 rounds does a soldier carry? 

That will depend on the mission and the basic load he is issued to carry.

I'm not sure if we can or if it's wise to be specific, but usually enough to provide some sustained fire. It would be pointless to carry a couple or even only a half-dozen rounds for any ops over 24hrs really if you are to possibly face combat. Not like in video games anyways...

Joe

Why does the number "36" ring a bell?

hmmm......

Oh wait....I remember reading it in one of "The Tac Vest Sucks" threads...

Don't quote me on this, but I heard 36 is the basic US Marine load.  I have no idea though, I just read from someone on militaryphotos.net a while back. 

It's like this 36 in a crate (18 per box for the 2 grenadiers in the section). The grenadier usually carries a bandoiler of 8 and the other bandoiler is spread out among the section. Thats wat they teach you on DP1 anyways.
So when someone has an M203 they 8 rounds and the other 8 rounds he is elotted is spread amongst the group (Sect. Group.Team.)

That sounds a lot more practical than an extra 18 pounds all on one guy  ;)

I've seen anywhere from 8 - 36.

We were (at one time) issued the US M-203 vest, which was worn over the 84 pattern webbing.

This will generally vary by unit.

As for the 18lbs being too much - wait until you experience the joy of dismounted ops with the .50....

Well, I'm not sure if 18 pounds is too much or not, I just said it sounds practical.  The most M203 rounds I've carried in the field is two, and at a range 9 (reserves).  As for the .50, I've haven't even seen one yet  :D  I think you're right about it varying from unit to unit.  Personally, I would think you would want to carry as many as you could on yourself, with still being close to or as effective as you would be with less rounds.  Plus, the more rounds you have means more rounds downrange faster, right?  This past year I have been one of the grenadiers in my section, and I went to Yakima and fired a few of the standard CF issue 40mm grenades, the M433 HEDP.  From the few that I shot, it seems like it would be a pretty devastating weapon, so the more I could carry the better.   
While on the subject of the M203, do you reg force guys get a lot of range time with firing it live (chalk or HE)?  It's pretty friggin fun fire  ;D 

GO!!! said:
As for the 18lbs being too much - wait until you experience the joy of dismounted ops with the .50....

Well...being a 'Cold Warrior' I remember once during a SnowBall in Lahr drawing my .50 from the Lock Up and putting it all together then carrying it 'complete*', plus my pers wpn,...... by myself, out to my Lynx.  Let's just say, ....I never did that again.

(* Body, Bolt and Barrel)

I got pics and emails from a guy in my unit deployed as M203 gunner in "The Ghan" as you know alsot of guys are buying their own stuff. he carries a custom M203 belt that rests under the issued Tac Vest He it holds 12 rounds. He carries 10 HEDP rounds 1 starburst round, and for room clearing in those sticky situations he has a shot gun round as well. 

:cdn:
"Fighting Tenth"

Michael O'Leary said:
That will depend on the mission and the basic load he is issued to carry.
the best answer so far.

And as for the indivdual above, would you also like to broadcast where best to shoot at us to defeat the body armour, or our frequencies overseas? A little thought about OPSEC would go a long way.

This thread reminds me of a good post on M203's by "basicload" on another board.

http://lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/579001296/r/203001696#203001696

To be a Section M203 Gunner is there any real course you need to take besides SQ and DP1? cause I was wondering if it was more of a "hey you take this" deal.

Caleix

Caleix said:
To be a Section M203 Gunner is there any real course you need to take besides SQ and DP1?
not that I've seen.
In 3 RCR, we gave it to our Sect 2IC. Came in handy with the C9 to form a quick li'l firebase, or to mark targets. In 3 PPCLI, I've usually seen it carried by Jacks to Ptes.

ok thanks for the info, in my Platoon they usually just throw it at someone DP1 Qal.

Caleix

C/10 said:
and for room clearing in those sticky situations he has a shot gun round as well. 

Since when did they start issueing buckshot rounds?

Americans have a "buckshot" round.  A lot of the M203 rounds in Kandahar where acquired thru the US.

Back