• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mail and care packages sent to BMQ / BMOQ

Overseas. We have an extra barrack box lying around, so I was thinking the box would make a good container.

And we were planning on using zap straps to secure it and leave extra zap straps on the inside to re-secure it after they take a look.

I have seen many barrack boxes mailed from within theatre, so it might work.  Are you sending it through the post office or dropping it off at a rear party type organization? 

The posties may have a cow with sending one BB. The rule of thumb has been if you can fit it in a mailbag and are willing to pay the postage then be my guest.

- If shipping from overseas CMTT may be able to ship it back. However there would need to be fin co dings and customs paperwork etc etc...in reality sending it this way would be too much of a hassle for all involved especially when it get stuck in customs and someone has to travel to a bonded warehouse and spring some cash for duty on your presents.

-If you are shipping stuff to people in theater I think the most cost effective and easy way is through your local or nearest MFRC they regularly ship box lunch size care packages for free once a week to loved ones in theater. Using CMTT can be timely as your parcel would be considered as freight (low priority freight mind you) and will be bumped for more important things like spare parts, new gear etc......your loved one may not see it for months.

TO Summarise

Canada Post or your local MFRC is the way to go on this one. Preferably in a cardboard box. Or many cardboard boxes considering how much booty your are planning to send.  I would rather get 5 small parcels than on big one. It would make me feel special like Santa found me.

As for having an extra Barracks box laying around I assume its yours and on your docs otherwise TURN IT IN.....there is a shortage of them and they are a sought after commodity on some bases and wings.

My Thought's on receiving a barrack box as a care package.....thanks for the liquorice and the extra piece of gear I am responsible for........ ;)

"24" boxes seem to work quite well. Three are almost equal to a barrack box for capacity and postage was not that bad. No complaints from Canada Post either and they seemed to arrive over there quite quickly.

Thanks for posting all the great suggestions everyone!

Our volunteer service group has been sending care packages over for a while now and I was looking to see if there was anything that would be more appreciated. We usually send local newspapers, magazines, and hard candy. I'll be a little more adventurous in my shopping from now on.

Best Wishes,

-Rick

I just wanted to share a bit of info.  MCF ran the Adopt-a-Soldier campaign last year, but will not be running it this year.  Basically we worked with the CFPSA to get 3700 care packages out, but instead of running two campaigns this year we are just going to promote their's.

So anyone wishes to make a donation to our troops, please do so through the CFPSA.
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/amenities/OpSanta/santa.asp

Also as mentioned before, the Canadian Angels runs great program matching up soldiers with Canadians.  It is a database system and they usually have more angels than soldiers.  Not a bad problem to have, but I encourage any troops on here to sign up.  It is amazing how many people out there want to connect with a service member.
http://www.canadianangels.org/

Cheers!

Well, I've decided to read the "Support the troops" magnet I have on my car.  Now I'll be sending a package to someone in Afganistan.  Someone from TMFRC is hooking me up with a name so I can send a package.  I stopped off at a couple of stores on the way home and picked up some good stuff:

a Marie Claire mag for the girls
a Consumer reports car mag for the boys
AA batteries
gummie bears
pens, coloured pencils, construction paper for the kids
2 "skip its" for the kids
lip balm x2
toblerone bar
birthday candles - to help celebrate birthdays away from home
easter eggs
lays chips
search-a-word puzzle book
big thing of goldbond
peanuts

hopefully it's not in poor taste to put "previously used items" in...I put in 3 used novels, and a movie (the break-up)

Think thats it...should be good eh?

I think it has been mentioned before numerous times, but do not send items which will spoil or melt. As much as I loved chocolate, by the time I received it in a hot, humid climate it had mostly melted, stuck to the wrapper, etc. (the condition of the garlic coil my mother sent me made for many, many humous jabs....it was about 3 times a big as it was originally, and stink?....). This hasn't changed in 30 years, heat melts chocolate.

I'm sending a couple carepackages to Kabul and wondering what the troops would like. Kraft dinner and Tim Hortons coffee used to be favorable. Magazines, hats gloves, - taking advice

ok well my guy isnt over seas but one day he will and I already know of 2 very important things that I will need to send that are homy and consumable:

TEA (loose leaf from our favorite tea shop were we always go together)
COOKIES (yes home baked cookies for him and his buddies)

I love Toronto.   :mad:

I had all of my things purchased for my package to send to Afganistan and I had it in my car, all set to go.

Some punk smashed out the back window of my car Monday night and instead of stealing my change, stereo or anything else, they stole that care package.  So not only did it cost me $500 to fix my window, someone has taken away my goodies for the troops. 

Can you believe it?

Now someone can tell me that it was the thought that counted.... ::)

edit - took out an extra e

I realize this is a little old, but in case anyone is still wondering:

http://trenton.mil.ca/CFPU/faq/index_e.html#null states:

2. What are the size limits for missions?
Answer: Parcels for CFPO's must be no more than 1m in length and 2m max for length plus girth.

3. What are the weight limits for missions?
Answer: All mailable matter must conform to Canada Post Corporation specifications. The weight must not exceed 20 Kg

I've seen many barrack boxes come through the system, but it is designed for care packages.
Once Canada Post initiates free mail to troops, I'm sure we'll see many more :p

There really shouldn't be any "spare" barrack boxes anymore.
All members of LFQA HQ & 5ASG were ordered to return all that they had - so that those going on mission could have their full share.

Cardboard boxes can be used for other things and later, disposed of... A barrack box is just extra kit that will get in the way.... IMHO

I've sent barrack boxes, through Canada Post, both ways. No questions, no problems.

They do fall into both Canada Post and moral mail specs so long as they are under 20 kg but the mail system overseas is designed to provide moral mail, not move kit.  I suppose once we have better airlift capabilities it won't be such a big deal :p

Operation Santa Claus is a project of the Military Family Services Program, that sends Christmas care packages to all deployed military personnel in 20 different locations world wide.

Traditionally the pkgs also include letters from children up to the age of 10. Soldiers have stated in the past that such letters have great impact on morale.

Please see the official letter in the following link http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddd3876n_40hm2mz2 

Just sent off a birthday package(s). Stopped at the local western wear retailer and obtained a couple of "western boot" boxes which when filled held 16 Kilo's a piece. Postage was 35.00 per box express to Bellevellie for onward shipment from Cowtown.

Time for treats for Canadian troops
2007-11-02 By Lindsey Cole
  Article Link

D is for Doritos.
O is for Oreos and P is for Pop-Tarts.
While this may seem like a lesson in ABCs, the alphabet actually acts a list of treats that Morello's Independent Grocer is hoping to collect for Canadian soldiers stationed in Afghanistan.
For hundreds of these soldiers it is all about the treats, or at least it will be.
From Nov. 2 to Nov. 9 owner Dave Morello will be running a drop box near the exit of his store, located at 400 Lansdowne St. E., so people can donate the goodies to soldiers, who would otherwise not be getting them.
“It's things that they wouldn't be getting. It's just to give them some treats,” Mr. Morello says.
“We're going to count on the customers to do as much as we can.”
Mr. Morello also asked some well-known companies for help.
Quaker Oats, Christie, as well as numerous other businesses will provide some of their staple items to the cause, in hopes of raising soldier morale.
Soldiers will be getting Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops, Oreos, granola bars as well as several other items from these companies.
“Everybody I've talked to, there's no hesitation. Not one company I've called has declined,” he adds.
Mr. Morello is also working in collaboration with the Canadian Association of Veterans in United Nations Peacekeeping, who initially proposed the idea to Mr. Morello.
They will be coming to pick up the goods, which will be delivered to Trenton and then taken to Afghanistan, where Canadian troops can have a little reminder of home 'sweet' home.
Part of the reason why Mr. Morello wants to get involved is because Canadian soldiers have a wish list, and he feels it should be fulfilled.
“It really wasn't being taken care of. There are these young men and women who are fighting for us...it's a morale raiser. It's something not a lot of people are thinking of,” he says.
“They're not eating Oreo cookies as part of their food regiment. This is a little treat to tell these great people, who are fighting for us, that we're thinking of them.”
More on link

Okay, most of the links in earlier posts are now dead.  I'd like to arrange a care package, from my company, to the guys overseas.  We deal in things like powdered drink mixes, cleaning products & etc....so I think the things on the "Would like to get list" are pretty much covered.

The Angels web site basically says they can't adopt any more soldiers.
Marriedtothecanadianforces hasn't been updated for over a year, and the one contact phone number, while correct, reaches a person no longer associated with the group.
I have been unable to look up profiles of mission leaders on the DND web site, because the original link is dead, and links to the operations do not list personnel or biographies...maybe I'm just in the wrong place.

Addresses listed on the CF site of course are provided for corporate donations so that we can all feel good about donating thiings that will slowly filter thru channels from Mother CF.  I'd rather combat troops got stuff delivered to THEM that mattered.

If I had an address to send stuff to where I knew the troopies would actually get it, I would be glad to do so.  I sent a package out to the RCR myself back when they were running the show and it seemed to arrive all right, but then I had a service# and name, which I hardly expect anyone to leap up and offer to some name on the internet.

Could someone provide me with options?

Here you go, try this site.  Click on the "Mail for Any Canadian Forces Member" link.

Back