• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major-General Lewis MacKenzie CM, MSC, OOnt, CD

Would Maj Gen MacKenzie have made a good CDS.

• Total voters
Old Sweat said:
I know Lew fairly well, having first met him on the Combat Team Commanders' Course in 1972 and having crossed paths many times over the years. We most recently renewed our relationship at a social function near Ottawa this June. (We were always on a first name basis despite our difference in rank.) I cannot comment on Ms Off's work, but I would like to go on record as supporting the general's comment about soldiers making one look good. Like him, throughout my career I was fortunate enough to find soldiers tolerant enough of my foibles to carry out my orders in a way that reflected well on me.

As luck would have it, a close friend of mine from high school joined the Queen's Own Rifles as a rifleman and served in the same battalion as Lew in Canada and Germany. At a recent QOR reunion in Calgary he called the general 'Sir' and was politely, told "It's Lew." That explains at least in part why he can claim that the soldiers made him look good.

Old Sweat, thanks for the insight! I have never had the opportunity to meet "Lew" but after reading the book, I feel like I know him.

He had many examples in his book of how he took care of is soldiers, the best I thought was regarding the '72 Summit Series (I wont get into detail as I don't want to ruin the read for potential book purchasers)  I wasn't alive at the time, but being an enourmous sports fan and during the cold war era, I can only imagine what the 72 Summit Series meant to Canadians and Canadian Forces Members. He managed to get a TV out into the field for his soldiers too watch game 6 during an excersize.

I also found his disagreement with Romeo Dallaire on Leadership absolutly facinating.

My favourite Lew story:

A Cpl in Bosnia was homesick and looking to make a call home to Canada.  As he put it, some old guy in civvies who looked like the "janitor" steered him to an office to use the phone.  The Sgt in the room sneered and sent the Cpl away.  Dejected, the Cpl returned to the janitor and complained about the Sgt.  The "janitor" said "That's odd, I never have any problems." and brought the Cpl back, in person.

Suddenly, the Sgt was very attentive and polite, and helped the Cpl make the call.  The "janitor" left; after the call, the Sgt said "You know who that was, of course."  Cpl "The janitor?"  Sgt "No!  That was General MacKenzie!"

dapaterson said:
My favourite Lew story:

A Cpl in Bosnia was homesick and looking to make a call home to Canada.  As he put it, some old guy in civvies who looked like the "janitor" steered him to an office to use the phone.  The Sgt in the room sneered and sent the Cpl away.  Dejected, the Cpl returned to the janitor and complained about the Sgt.  The "janitor" said "That's odd, I never have any problems." and brought the Cpl back, in person.

Suddenly, the Sgt was very attentive and polite, and helped the Cpl make the call.  The "janitor" left; after the call, the Sgt said "You know who that was, of course."  Cpl "The janitor?"   Sgt "No!  That was General MacKenzie!"

nice story.. I read this in James Davis's "the sharp end".

Yes, I can't wait to read this book too.

I read an excerpt of the book in a September 2008 issue of MACLEAN'S magazine.

The brief bit I read gave a good counterbalancing view of (Ret.d) General Dalliare's Rawanda mission.

MGen Mackenzie delivered his assessment of the Unamir mission in a very fair way--no cheap shots.

It sounds like this would be an important leadership book for those in the CF training to be leaders right now.

gillbates said:
nice story.. I read this in James Davis's "the sharp end".

Thank you!  I was racking my mind trying to recall the source - now I have to figure out who I lent my copy of that book, and determine why it never came home...

I would have expected that a senior log officer would have got a signature.

Carol Off has no love lost for Lew. I think they have a professional "love-to-hate-you" relationship from Sarajavo in 92. She seems to think Lew's biggest fan is himself...which could be true....but not knowing the man, how do I judge.

Here is my favourite Lew McKenzie story...

I was the military information officer with 1 R22eR in Sarajevo in July 92 (that's the UN euphemism for the Int O, BTW)  On the second or third day of our arrival at the airport, I managed to hitch a ride to the PTT building where UN HQ Sarajevo was located.  Once I got there, I met Gen McKenzie in the lobby and, being the very personable guy he is, he shakes my hand and asks me what was bringing me to his HQ.  I told him I was going to see his own Int shop to see "what was really going on in town".  Without breaking stride he flat out replied: 

"If you find out, make sure you let me know!"

Needless to say, I was quite floored by his candour but I did develop very healthy respect for the man at that point.

Cheers,

Gasplug  :salute:

One can't go too far wrong if one uses General Lew as a role model of how an officer and a gentleman conducts himself.

To those of you who aspire to high command, heed General Lew's words wisely.

Others agree that Lew is a man to emulate - and not those you'd necesarily think:

Before analyzing our findings, we believe that some important observations should be made about MGen MacKenzie and his approach to leadership and accountability.
MGen MacKenzie was unique among the senior leaders who appeared before us, and were involved in the Somalia deployment, in evincing a proper understanding of and respect for the inquiry process.

MGen (ret) MacKenzie testified before us in an honest and straightforward manner. He alone seemed to understand the necessity to acknowledge error and account for personal shortcomings. We did not always accept everything that he said, but we accept that what he offered us was the truth as he saw it. Unlike some senior officers who appeared before us, he was never less than courteous and respectful in the way that he gave evidence or responded to our questions.

Also, MGen (ret) MacKenzie fully accepted the need for a public accounting of what went on in Somalia. He invariably supported our effort to probe the incidents and events in the wider public interest. We regard his comportment and demeanour throughout his testimony before us as consistent with the highest standards of military duty and responsibility.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/somalia/vol4/v4c31e.htm

A story from Combat Team Commander's Course serial 7201 somewhere down the Lawfield Corridor. Scenario - the student combat team commander (SCTC), a very intense young captain in the PPCLI was delivering his verbal orders to not only his subordinate student command appointment, but the whole assembled multitude of troops. (For some reason this procedure had developed and had not yet been stamped out by the DS.)

SCTC: "Prisoners. No prisoners will be taken" followed by the rest of the orders. "Questions?"

Major MacKenzie: "Captain Medina, would you go over the part about the prisoners again? I don't think Lootenant Calley got it."

This broke up the whole combat team and the DS and threw the timings and battle procedure well off schedule. For those (most?) of you who don't recognize the reference, the Vietnam War was still underway, and the press had broken the story of the infamous My Lai massacre of Vietnamese civilians by US troops. The company that performed the act was commanded by Captain Ernest Medina, while the platoon commander responsible for ordering the killings was Second Lieutenant William Calley.

That's a good one OldSweat!!

As an aside, orders like this "no prisoners" is what got us in a whole boat load of trouble in the 90's. The DS should have "Counselled" this officer to say the least.

That, in my opinion, would not have been a lawful command.

OldSolduer said:
That's a good one OldSweat!!

As an aside, orders like this "no prisoners" is what got us in a whole boat load of trouble in the 90's. The DS should have "Counselled" this officer to say the least.

Like the "if one man is wounded we will leave him and carry on with the mission" action on. Who thought that stuff up?

Major-General (Ret'd) Lew MacKenzie joins Cymat Board

TORONTO, Jan. 26 /CNW/ - Cymat Technologies Ltd. (TSX: CYM), a
Toronto-based manufacturer and licensor of stabilized aluminum foam ("SAF")
products, targeting the automotive, architectural and blast mitigation
markets, announces the appointment of Major-General (Ret'd) Lewis MacKenzie as
a new corporate director.

Major-General (Ret'd) Lewis Wharton MacKenzie, C.M., O.Ont. MSC and bar,
CD, is a retired Canadian general, author and media commentator. He is most
recognized for establishing and commanding Sector Sarajevo as part of the
United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR) in Yugoslavia in 1992.
    Major-General (Ret'd) MacKenzie brings to Cymat a wealth of experience in
the military. During his 36 year military career he served with NATO Forces in
Germany for nine years and volunteered for nine peacekeeping missions in the
Gaza Strip, Cyprus, Viet Nam, Cairo, Central America and Sarajevo.
    Since his retirement from the Canadian Forces in 1993 MacKenzie has
joined numerous Corporate Boards headquartered in Canada and The United
States. Following the attacks of 9/11 he was appointed one of two advisors to
the Premier of Ontario on counter-terrorism and emergency measures. He has
received numerous honours including the Vimy award and is a Member of the
Order of Canada and the Order of Ontario for his humanitarian work in Africa.
    "We are honoured to have someone of Major-General (Ret'd) MacKenzie's
pedigree and experience join the Cymat Board" said Michael Liik, Executive
Chairman of Cymat. He added "Given Cymat's considerable corporate emphasis on
blast mitigation markets, Major-General (Ret'd) MacKenzie's knowledge and
guidance should prove invaluable".

About Cymat:

Cymat develops innovative materials for industry. The company has
worldwide rights, through patents and licenses, for producing Stabilized
Aluminum Foam. The ultra-light metallic foam is manufactured by bubbling gas
through molten alloyed aluminum containing a dispersion of fine ceramic
particles and can be produced as either Near-net Shapes or Flat Panels. The
result is a revolutionary material with a wide array of features including
very low density, mechanical energy absorption, thermal and acoustic
insulation, is recyclable, time and temperature insensitive and has a
relatively low cost of production. Cymat is collaborating with a number of
partners spanning the automotive, architectural and blast mitigation
industries. For further information, visit the Web site www.cymat.com.

The foregoing press release contains forward-looking statements relating
to the development of markets, development programs, future revenues and
improvements in technology, which are subject to important risks and
uncertainties. The results or events predicted in these statements may differ
materially from actual results or events. Factors which could cause results or
events to differ from current expectations include the availability of
funding, existing and future relationships with suppliers and manufacturers,
the results of research and development activities, risks of technological
breakthroughs that make Cymat stabilized aluminum foam less attractive, risks
relating to the breadth, scope and enforceability of intellectual property
rights, general industry and market conditions, availability of qualified
personnel, and reliance on co-development partners. For additional information
with respect to these and other factors, see the reports filed by Cymat
Technologies Ltd. with the Ontario Securities Commission. Cymat Technologies
Ltd. disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any
forward-looking statements.

Auction can be found here:

http://macleanandassociates.hibid.com/catalog/135647/maclean-and-assoc---major-general-lewis-mackenzie-auction/

Also an article that gives reason for the auction.

https://www.google.ca/amp/ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/egan-maj-gen-lewis-mackenzie-selling-off-his-life/amp

What a sad story, but I guess we all move on. Best wishes to General MacKenzie, a hell of a soldier.

DND has been searching for unused sleeping bags, I hope that there isn't a shortage of green flak jackets.  Isn't it illegal to sell military equipment for private gain; good thing he is hanging onto it, might be better still if he returned it to supply section where it belongs.

Simian Turner said:
DND has been searching for unused sleeping bags, I hope that there isn't a shortage of green flak jackets.  Isn't it illegal to sell military equipment for private gain; good thing he is hanging onto it, might be better still if he returned it to supply section where it belongs.

Yes... I'm sure the General's kit is the real reason we don't have enough to kit out our field forces...

Gen I beast was probably a write-off, and DEUs are fair game if one wants. Was there any current-stock kit on the list?

Separately, I feel for the General. To lose a life mate this long into a life is a sad thing.

Thoughts to Mack! :salute:

Regards
G2G

Back