• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major Site Upgrade

Made a change this morning to stop the error log from filling up. Side effect: nobody could post or possibly even log in.

Fixed, error log is back to growing fast enough to run us out of space in about a week. (I just have to remember to empty it, weekly, until I find a better way.)

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Getting this continuously, to the point of aggravation.

Kat Stevens said:
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Getting this continuously, to the point of aggravation.

I start pounding on F5 to refresh the page when it comes up.  Very intermittent - it will come up continuously for a while, but then go away.

dapaterson said:
I start pounding on F5 to refresh the page when it comes up.  Very intermittent - it will come up continuously for a while, but then go away.

Same experience here.

Unfortunately a known issue. We simply hit too many connections for the database server to handle, and new connections are deferred until things ease up. Been looking at way to optimize database access for as long as the screen has been coming up, but clearly haven't made significant progress yet.

The issue sort of stems (ironically) from the recent server upgrade. We have two pieces, the front end (web server) and back end (database). We upgraded the front end a couple of months ago, giving us room to stretch our legs a bit more. Doing so is now overloading the back end, which has not been upgraded in 2+ years.  :-\

Cheers
Mike

Ditto to SKT, Mike.

On your own time!  :nod:

For the past ~3 weeks I've been unable to connect with Tapatalk during peak periods but usually have no issues using Safari on the same phone. Fair assumption it's the same capacity issue?

Yes, we are hitting a high number of concurrent database connections, so the "last in" time out or are dropped outright depending on how far over the limit we go. Tapatalk adds more connections. As a test I may temporarily disable it to see if it is a key contributor to the issue. I suspect it is not though.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Yes, we are hitting a high number of concurrent database connections, so the "last in" time out or are dropped outright depending on how far over the limit we go. Tapatalk adds more connections. As a test I may temporarily disable it to see if it is a key contributor to the issue. I suspect it is not though.

No skin off my rump if TapaTalk never comes back.  How it`s supposed to make forums easier beats me, I hate it.  8)

I installed it and took it out within the hour. It wants too many permissions and wants to filter all your internet activity through the program. I wish there was a way to kill the banner request to 'enjoy tapatalk'. I hate turning it off everytime I visit.

Getting lot of these on Government supported (ha!) Firefox

"Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

It's our server, not the browser. Still tweaking the configuration to try to get the maximum out of it, but we are hitting some hard limits.

Folks,

I am converting our database from (slow) magnetic to (fast) SSD. This will have an adverse effect on performance during the conversion but "should" help long term. I'll post again when the conversion is complete.

Cheers
Mike

...and it's complete. Fingers crossed this will be a "good" change. :)

Mike Bobbitt said:
Folks,

I am converting our database from (slow) magnetic to (fast) SSD. This will have an adverse effect on performance during the conversion but "should" help long term. I'll post again when the conversion is complete.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Bobbitt said:
...and it's complete. Fingers crossed this will be a "good" change. :)

Yeah just noticed the site's no longer down and it seems to be running smoothly :p I appreciate the hard work you did upgrading the site for us all.

Infant_Tree said:
I appreciate the hard work you did upgrading the site for us all.

A way to show your appreciation,

Milnet.ca Subscriptions
http://milnet.ca/subscribe/index.php?action=profile;u=16

And it only took thirty minutes between the two posts.

You make it look so easy, Mike. You should work on your Scottyness a bit more - "I canna do it in less than three days, Captain".

It may be (I hope) the DWAN connection, but I got a "Server too busy, please try again in a few minutes..." message when trying to compose this response.

It's working much better for me, everything has loaded instantly, I normally have to wait a while at this time of night.

Back