• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Making Combat Clothing Better

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
You see on several Combat Camera photos pockets (finally) with velcro patches being put onto the CADPAT AR shirts.

What alterations are they doing for operations that are making our cbts better?

Is there any plan to manufacture the clothing with these mods?

Rumour has it those pockets will eventually be on our regular cbts as well. They sure do come in handy, as to other mods, I dont know.

I think the pockets are the only mods done, at least thats all my combats had done to them. I LOVE the arm pockets, if I were to make improvements I would suggest ditching the bottom pockets on the combat shirt. I also dont feel that the waist draw string is worth the time either. I like how the american combats have the sort of bellowed design in the back. I found that the draw string got pushed into me over my armour and was uncomfortable. There are tons of other weird gucci mods that can be made ala crye precision but I think the above mods would make the shirt much more comfortable and functional especially under armour.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1557

It seems the makers of CADPAT are open for suggestions...

Elwood said:
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1557

It seems the makers of CADPAT are open for suggestions...
Thru the chain of command. I believe that has been done once or twice...no?

submit unsatisfactory condition reports for existing kit.....

stand in line with everyone else on the UCR for LSVWs

then again, UCRs for the LSVWs were submitted, by the thousands, years and years ago.  The gov't decided they undestood the problem better than we did.

Just a note about velcro, we used to have a web belt with velcro worked great except for noise. Now imagine your on a recce or other quiet required task and you need something in the pocket. I much prefer buttons. As to the draw string I remember a buddy who flipped a duece & 1/2 when we got to him he was hanging out the door with his string hloding him up, lucklily it wasn't around his neck. The lower pockets agree on the shirt the jacket ones are good for holding an extra pair of socks unfolded or bivy paper as long as they aren't loaded up like a back pack I would keep them. 

PhilB said:
I LOVE the arm pockets, if I were to make improvements I would suggest ditching the bottom pockets on the combat shirt. I also dont feel that the waist draw string is worth the time either.

In the early 90's there was a batch made without the lower pockets and they were trialed extensively.

It was deemed at that time to keep them on the combat shirts.

I do however like the idea of arm pockets. Wish we had them back in Feb.

Regards

Just wanted to clairfy:
The pockets on the arms of our AR CADPAT uniforms are, indeed, Mods.  When we arrived in Kandahar, we were told to submit 2 combat shirts for alterations. They were taken to shop on the board walk where the velcro pockets from inside the lower large pockets were removed and sewn onto the sleeves. This was done becasue it is hard to get into your pockets when you have a body armour on (an idea stolen borrowed from the Americans)... and since we (guys out side the wire) wear our body armour all the time (except first thing in the morning, when sleeping in Panjwaii... just before an A10 hits you... damn it) It only made sense to have pockets on the sleeves.

Personally, I found them fairly useless... cool looking, but hard to get into, as they were hastily made, with way too much velcro on the flaps... and too high up..  its pretty hard to reach across your body with armour on.

Anyway... it would be nice if they put that on all of our combats, but I doubt that will happen.

I found them really easy to get into, but our were made by a tailor that was brought into the PRT so maybe there was a difference. As far as the other things go its a toss up, like everything else. Combats are just that, clothing that should be designed for combat. I dont think there will be anytime in the future where we will not be operating in body armour, and it is only a matter of time before there is enough armour for it to be standard issue and thus used in training. Lower pockets are useless with armour on, draw string is useless with armour on. Shoulder pockets need to be velcro because it would be a huge hassel to reach across your amour and plates and have to undo a button. If you are on a recce or some other sneaky peaky job dont put essential stuff in those pockets, put them in your vest or in your leg pockets

alfie.... velcro made lots of noise @ first.... then it would wear out & you'd be miles away before noticing that your water bottle dissapeared from same said web.

The velcro is better now, still noisy but, it"s just one of the truths of life.

geo said:
alfie.... velcro made lots of noise @ first.... then it would wear out & you'd be miles away before noticing that your water bottle dissapeared from same said web.

Zap Straps, they solve most kit problems  ;D

Actually Alfie, that velcro webbing was crap.  It needed gun tap to keep it together.  It became a knotted pile of junk when taken off and stowed in a vehicle.  It was uncomfortable when loaded.  When it was finally replaced in '85, it was a God send to have a wider yoke on the harness, and clips to keep your pouches and yoke attached securely.  Too bad there was too much plastic in both styles.

Re. noisy velcro:

LAVIII's make more noise than velcro. As do C7s and C9s... They know we're there... it's hard to be quiet in body armour and 40lbs. of ammo and gear.

People in the business of being sneaky should know how not to make noise with their gear and usually would not wear anything that would compromise their sneakiness... At least I hope, anyway.

What PhilB said is very true; We will never be in an operational situation where we won't be wearing body armour while fighting (this could lead me into a whole long rant regarding training - both regular and reserve -, Drills, kit, etc. etc... but I won't) And our combats should reflect that... but they don't.

Draw strings, pockets on the body, etc. are useless when you have a ballistic plate on, and thusly, our combats have to be modified to suit... but what about those who don't always wear ballistic plates?  I say T.S.  (tethered swimming for the non-cursing types).  It all comes down to operational priority.

To 'sum up'... Pockets on sleeves = good idea, but needs more development and use.  Velcro sounds don't matter when you roll up in LAVs (or other mech). and as with a lot of our other gear (TVs) our combat shirts have many useless aspects to couple with the usefull ones.
[/rant]

I've always wondered why the hell our combat shirts have a collar?  Why not have something functional that can cover the neck and keep shit from getting down your shirt or something - I think the new American uniforms are like this....

As for boots (it is part of the uniform) a standard, dark brown boot would have been nice; better than issuing 4-6 pairs of boots to guys.

Infanteer said:
I've always wondered why the hell our combat shirts have a collar?  Why not have something functional that can cover the neck and keep crap from getting down your shirt or something - I think the new American uniforms are like this....

As for boots (it is part of the uniform) a standard, dark brown boot would have been nice; better than issuing 4-6 pairs of boots to guys.

INDEPENDENT THOUGHT ALARM!!!                                            INDEPENDENT THOUGHT ALARM!!!

Both are very good ideas... which is why, I'm afraid, they will never happen.

It would be nice though... usefull collars and boots and stuff... jeez...  stop dreaming..

Uhm -- maybe go for a flame retardant uniform.
The melted pile of goo just does not do it for me...

Infanteer said:
I've always wondered why the hell our combat shirts have a collar?  Why not have something functional that can cover the neck and keep crap from getting down your shirt or something - I think the new American uniforms are like this...

Yes I agree, I like the "Mandarin" collar option. The new ACU uniform the US has has the option of Collar up or down. I think this would be a real benefit to our uniform. It would keep some of the elements from getting down your shirt and possibly help the "chafing" or rubbing on your neck from the Frag vest. I'm going to re-adjust my vest. Maybe that's the problem.

Just a though.

Back