• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Technician ( MARTECH )

EADAM

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone, does anybody know the dates for Marine Tech QL3 courses for 2017/2018?
Thanks.

Hi everyone, does anybody know the dates for Marine Tech QL3 courses for 2017/2018?
Thanks

Hi everyone, does anybody know  the next  dates for Marine Tech QL3 courses for 2017/20
tks.

I'll do some digging with my old office mates back in the Fleet School in Halifax.

WEng87 said:
I'll do some digging with my old office mates back in the Fleet School in Halifax.

I'm starting BMQ Oct 30 and scheduled to finish Feb 16 2018, how long is PAT usually? I've heard as little as 2 months, other times I've heard as long as 6 months...

Also curious about this.

I mean, it'll happen for me at the same time whether I know the dates or not, I understand that.. but that doesn't mean I'm still curious about when I can expect to start training  :pirate:

When you have family and mortgage you have to make a life plan

I am an ex Patricia, reapplying to the Navy.

I am applying to WENG tech and MARTECH. WENG tech looks like a solid choice, but of course MARTECH is having internal issues and recruiters are looking to fill the positions.

Both appeal, but, I have heard not the kindest of things with regards to how MARTECH is being run and how guys are not becoming proficient in the trade because of the wide range of training. I would like to avoid a grind, as much as possible. (We all know how nightmarish the military can become under poor leadership or capability.)

I want some more information; Good, bad and ugly. Anyone with info or advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm a W Eng CPO2, our trade has not been without issues as well, but when we rolled into our new trade organization 6 years ago, we had QSPs, lesson plans, etc all done in advance. We're re-evaluating right now to see what has, and what hasn't worked. We're busy fixing some of that right now.

The MARTECH world is moving forward with their trade change-over, and, like the W Eng world, they're facing some issues when we did it. 

We're 6 years, and many lessons down the road.  Hopefully the MARTECH world is learning from our errors along the way.

I hope that helps a bit.

NS

I used to be a keen recruiter for my old trade, HT.  That stopped with the amalgamation.  I cannot, will not reccomend coming into the MARTECH trade, nor do any of my fellow legacy co-workers that l know.  Even the CPO1 who was part of the group who facilitated the change said he cannot sing its virtues.  Yes, I'll freely admit I'm bitter but so is everyone l know with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions.  My  :2c:

The first MARTECH course is going through NFS(A) right now.  But there doesn't seem to be anything higher than initial trades training right now.  Which is an issue for those who are currently in MARTECH but at QL5 or higher.  However if you were to switch you would be coming into the trade at the ground level.  One would like to think that by the time you get switched and started some of these issues would sort themselves out.  Promotion past LS could be a problem for a while however if problems similar to the "WENG Tech legacy trade" issues surface.

I'm an ex CPO2 Mar Eng and have been out for 5 years this month.  I have friends and peers who have contributed significant blood and sweat over the past few years in getting the MARTECH program off the ground and who obviously have a vested interest in its successful launch.

I hope (and wish) that issues with the WENG implementation were taken into account.  I'd be flabbergasted if they weren't.

My personal view on this is as follows: this amalgamation should have taken place, or at least actively considered, around 25 years ago at around the same time the first frigate was commissioned.  Instead, the branch took its steamer manning mentality and transferred it, with little change, to the CPFs.  From my perspective at the time, it seemed blatantly obvious that the future of the Mar Eng branch was diesel electric, so why not get ahead of the curve and start organizing the branch around it?

For Jollyjacktar, I can appreciate your concerns.  I can only hope that the best attributes of the 3 constituent trades ( I guess 4 if you include MESOs) are enough to make it work.

Grimey said:
I'm an ex CPO2 Mar Eng<snip>

( I guess 4 if you include MESOs) are enough to make it work.

It's still one navy.  :remembrance:

Grimey said:
For Jollyjacktar, I can appreciate your concerns.  I can only hope that the best attributes of the 3 constituent trades ( I guess 4 if you include MESOs) are enough to make it work.

I am of the understanding the RN are walking back from their almagamation as they found it wasn't satisfactory.  They're not going back 100% as that would embarrass certain parties but as far as they can.

Promotions are frozen for now which won't win hearts and minds.  Releases are continuing at 3x the normal levels from some of the legacy trades.  One of my former MS remustered to Bosn and just recently finished his QL3, he's happy and that has been noted by a number of the kids. 

jollyjacktar said:
I am of the understanding the RN are walking back from their almagamation as they found it wasn't satisfactory.  They're not going back 100% as that would embarrass certain parties but as far as they can.

Promotions are frozen for now which won't win hearts and minds.  Releases are continuing at 3x the normal levels from some of the legacy trades.  One of my former MS remustered to Bosn and just recently finished his QL3, he's happy and that has been noted by a number of the kids.

Not sure about the extent of RN amalgamation compared to 15 odd years ago (as observed on a somewhat lubricated one day XPOL on HMS YORK during APOLLO.). Back then they still had artificers and mechanics and could do a whole career as either.  Their electricians were the same, just had an (L) as a suffix to MEM or MEA. 
Not sure about their HT/shipwright equivalent, or even if they had such a beast.  The mechs may have been doing the HT type stuff.

What was interesting was that plant watchkeeping wasn't trade specific.  They had troad POs standing EOOW watches.  Always wondered why we didn't take the MCC and Duty Tech packages to the next logical step and have the entire department certified. 

Always wondered why we didn't take the MCC and Duty Tech packages to the next logical step and have the entire department certified. 

Because then CSE guys like me would be fit into the rotation as well? 

That might be TOO integrated....

;D

Wait for it.  I hear you bitches are going to be jammed into the fold too down the line.

jollyjacktar said:
Wait for it.  I hear you bitches are going to be jammed into the fold too down the line.

I heard the other day that everyone is 1 in 2 now anyways, so why not?😀

Back