• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

My question was asked out of ignorance and partially rhetorical. It's one thing to surveil international waters, and maybe in regard to fishing in international waters there is some manner of international treaty. I was mainly wondering what the authority was of any nation to stop and board (or even shoot at) another vessel in international waters.
Well you must be Chinese and just claim any bit of water or region as part of your area.

My question was asked out of ignorance and partially rhetorical. It's one thing to surveil international waters, and maybe in regard to fishing in international waters there is some manner of international treaty. I was mainly wondering what the authority was of any nation to stop and board (or even shoot at) another vessel in international waters.
That brings up something I’ve wondered for some time. When an RCN ship is supporting a USCG LEDET in an OP CARIBBE, are there any situations where the RCN takes responsibility/authority on their own, rather than the USCG? I’m unsure of the protocol of who is responsible for what in these scenarios. My (admittedly very limited) understanding of the cooperation is that CAN is supplying the platform for the USCG to do execute their enforcement mandate along with (I’m assuming) whatever categorization and storage is required after any narcotics are seized. So, is the RCN an active participant beyond providing a moving base of operations or could it be a ship provided by another source (DFO, CCG or possibly even Federal Fleet?)?

That brings up something I’ve wondered for some time. When an RCN ship is supporting a USCG LEDET in an OP CARIBBE, are there any situations where the RCN takes responsibility/authority on their own, rather than the USCG? I’m unsure of the protocol of who is responsible for what in these scenarios. My (admittedly very limited) understanding of the cooperation is that CAN is supplying the platform for the USCG to do execute their enforcement mandate along with (I’m assuming) whatever categorization and storage is required after any narcotics are seized. So, is the RCN an active participant beyond providing a moving base of operations or could it be a ship provided by another source (DFO, CCG or possibly even Federal Fleet?)?
Once they get a bust the drugs are stored onboard until they can be offloaded to a USCG ship, same if they get any detainees. Caribbe is the Canadian portion of OP Martello. We operate under a MOU for the use of sensors such as on an Aurora or the Kingston Class or whatever platform they send. We don't participate in active interdiction. and work with the USCG personnel onboard who is contact with US Southern Command, who has Canadian personnel there I believe.

Last edited:
National Geographic Usa GIF by Nat Geo Wild

Back