• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

I'd imagine the question would be whether it was deemed necessary to invest more heavily into a dedicated mine warfare/clearance capability or are we satisfied with how we do it now?
It does seem to me that the “mother platform” can be quite a bit less specialized than it was in the past, if it is carrying the appropriate mission payload and the requisite autonmous vehicles (tethered or not) that can do the search/ID/neutralization work, without risking mom (too much).
This is the question. What's the true requirement? MCDV's have spent most of their time in OPV roles. That being said they have done plenty of route survey, MCM jobs in the past. With AOPS coming online there may be less need for OPVs. A swing into mines might be useful. But that would require an investment outside of the ship in tech and training to do that properly.

This is the question. What's the true requirement? MCDV's have spent most of their time in OPV roles. That being said they have done plenty of route survey, MCM jobs in the past. With AOPS coming online there may be less need for OPVs. A swing into mines might be useful. But that would require an investment outside of the ship in tech and training to do that properly.
I feel like the AOPS are already going to be stretched pretty thin. With only 6 and lots of potential taskings on 3 coasts and abroad, their dance card is looking pretty full already. I also wonder if they'll be sent to do more frigate style work as the CPF's need more and more down time for maintenance. Another OPV that can take some of the load, maybe even patrol in the Gulf, for example, could be of great benefit. The AOPS are amazing, flexible ships, but they're also 7000 tonnes of displacement to push around. That has to be expensive if compared to something in the 2000 tonne range.

I've wondered before, if the MCDV'S had their operational tempo reduced somewhat, could you save 4-6 of them to keep as MCM units for another 20 years? Genuinely curious as to how feasible that would be, if they weren't being sent to Africa or the Caribbean as often. If it were possible, maybe there is a place for another 5-6 new OPVS, along with the 6 AOPS and 4 MCDV's? It would certainly cover a lot of bases.

AFAIK 10 more years for them isn't out of the question. Given a replacement project would have to be stood up and all that stuff 10 years is likely.

I feel like the AOPS are already going to be stretched pretty thin. With only 6 and lots of potential taskings on 3 coasts and abroad, their dance card is looking pretty full already. I also wonder if they'll be sent to do more frigate style work as the CPF's need more and more down time for maintenance. Another OPV that can take some of the load, maybe even patrol in the Gulf, for example, could be of great benefit. The AOPS are amazing, flexible ships, but they're also 7000 tonnes of displacement to push around. That has to be expensive if compared to something in the 2000 tonne range.

I've wondered before, if the MCDV'S had their operational tempo reduced somewhat, could you save 4-6 of them to keep as MCM units for another 20 years? Genuinely curious as to how feasible that would be, if they weren't being sent to Africa or the Caribbean as often. If it were possible, maybe there is a place for another 5-6 new OPVS, along with the 6 AOPS and 4 MCDV's? It would certainly cover a lot of bases.
My only concern about that would be having 3 different fleets of surface vessels, all more or less performing overlapping duties. From a training and maintenance perspective, it could add complexities and challenges that the RCN doesn't need.

My only concern about that would be having 3 different fleets of surface vessels, all more or less performing overlapping duties. From a training and maintenance perspective, it could add complexities and challenges that the RCN doesn't need.
I would like to see something that would use common to fleet machinery systems to make the logistics of supporting the fleet that much easier.

I've wondered before, if the MCDV'S had their operational tempo reduced somewhat, could you save 4-6 of them to keep as MCM units for another 20 years? Genuinely curious as to how feasible that would be, if they weren't being sent to Africa or the Caribbean as often. If it were possible, maybe there is a place for another 5-6 new OPVS, along
I would like to see something that would use common to fleet machinery systems to make the logistics of supporting the fleet that much easier.

Definitely agree. Same CMS 330 version as the AOPS, maybe even same propulsion set up. If the timing was right, maybe you could also repurpose equipment from the CPF's as they come off line. Fire control, 57mm etc.

Of note most mines do NOT look like those pictured here.
That's something I wonder about - the blurring of lines between what most people consider to be naval mines, and weaponized UUVs. How many mines are going to be more akin to floating or submerged loitering munitions than conventional mines? Anti-submarine mines that are essentially torpedoes in waiting have been around for some time, and the USN is continuing to push ahead with programs like Hammerhead...

Do we need to really disarm each one of these sort of systems, or can we find a way to seduce some of them into attacking an expendable decoy that produces an attractive signature?

Some mines rise and sink on a timer. Some float free, some are tethered and some rest on the bottom. Some listen for a specific sonar signature, some explode after a specific number of magnetic signatures have passed. Some are command-detonated. And some like you said wait to shoot a torpedo at you. They already are the original loitering munition.

Do we need to really disarm each one of these sort of systems, or can we find a way to seduce some of them into attacking an expendable decoy that produces an attractive signature?

Yes. ;)

I would not. As soon as you write requirements that have a specific piece of equipment instead of a specific performance goal you have just created a situation where your solution is obsolete before the ship is built. It still happens particularly with communication systems, cryptography and networks.

In service support contracts to allow for reduced fleet logistical support is a better way to go for the smaller ships IMHO.

I would not. As soon as you write requirements that have a specific piece of equipment instead of a specific performance goal you have just created a situation where your solution is obsolete before the ship is built. It still happens particularly with communication systems, cryptography and networks.

In service support contracts to allow for reduced fleet logistical support is a better way to go for the smaller ships IMHO.
There is actually a clause in the AJISS contract that gives incentives if they can find maintenance savings by going towards common equipment (ie during obsolescence replacements), but unless the ships are built at the same time it's difficult for the practical reasons you outlined. We tried doing it for AOPS and JSS but didn't work because the contracts were with different yards, and there was pretty tight limitations with specifying equipment.

Suspect when both are in service we'll probably see some common equipment as things go obsolete (like what happened with the 280s as they slowly got more common equipment with the CPFs), but definitely doesn't work across the board.

Would be strongly against repurposing CPF equipment; we'll beat the crap out of it and run it well past it's useful life, so would cost more to overhaul it and figure out the legacy issues than just buy new (see 280s VLS system).

There is actually a clause in the AJISS contract that gives incentives if they can find maintenance savings by going towards common equipment (ie during obsolescence replacements), but unless the ships are built at the same time it's difficult for the practical reasons you outlined. We tried doing it for AOPS and JSS but didn't work because the contracts were with different yards, and there was pretty tight limitations with specifying equipment.

Suspect when both are in service we'll probably see some common equipment as things go obsolete (like what happened with the 280s as they slowly got more common equipment with the CPFs), but definitely doesn't work across the board.

Would be strongly against repurposing CPF equipment; we'll beat the crap out of it and run it well past it's useful life, so would cost more to overhaul it and figure out the legacy issues than just buy new (see 280s VLS system).
I did not know AJISS had that incentive, that's very interesting (adds a note to his AJISS ppt slide...).
-for those who don't know AJISS is the AOPS JSS In-Service Support contract

Government-supplied material is generally the main way to get common equipment. So the CIWS and NRWS which are on the frigates are also being fitted on JSS as we have them in inventory.

And I completely agree with repurposing older CF equipment. It's a capital project. If you can afford it, buy new.

I did not know AJISS had that incentive, that's very interesting (adds a note to his AJISS ppt slide...).
-for those who don't know AJISS is the AOPS JSS In-Service Support contract

Government-supplied material is generally the main way to get common equipment. So the CIWS and NRWS which are on the frigates are also being fitted on JSS as we have them in inventory.

And I completely agree with repurposing older CF equipment. It's a capital project. If you can afford it, buy new.
Fair enough. In that case, what would be your baseline requirements for a new OPV, with regards to size, compliment, speed, armament, sensor fit etc? I also wonder about your opinion on ISO capacity, hangar and ability to upscale as need demands?

I am a neophyte here in this realm. If we adopt the common to fleet approach, do we not run the risk of single supplier failure, much like the brass valves problem that we encountered?

I'd imagine the question would be whether it was deemed necessary to invest more heavily into a dedicated mine warfare/clearance capability or are we satisfied with how we do it now? It's been stated in this forum before that mechanical sweeping has not been done by the MCDV's for some time and that they are trending towards using drones and standing off a bit. If we feel that this is as much as we need to do, then we leave it to other NATO members to do the specialized stuff and we pivot towards a more OPV biased solution. Given our coastlines and the area of operations where a replacement OPV would be regularly tasked, I would suggest a larger, faster and more capable vessel is the preferred option. A RIVER class OPV is a major step forward for our coastal patrol needs, but there are a few drawbacks. Lack of hangar of any size for either help or UAV has drawn considerable criticism in the UK. It also is not currently equipped with a bow thruster. That would make dynamic positioning/manoeuvring difficult for the times it would be involved with mine related operations. Personally, I'm a fan of the RNZN OTAGO class. It has a hangar, bow thruster, multiple smaller boat capabilities and is ice strengthened. It has decent range at 15kts and can make 22 as required. Moreover, I believe it was originally designed in Canada by STX marine.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAYegQINBAC&usg=AOvVaw19MHU068-m-cTQWeBU3HHt
However reading the wiki article, it appears the desire to ice strengthen the design ended up making the design 300 tons heavier and wiped out any growth, so a good lesson that any design have growth potentiel worked in at launching.

However reading the wiki article, it appears the desire to ice strengthen the design ended up making the design 300 tons heavier and wiped out any growth, so a good lesson that any design have growth potentiel worked in at launching.
Yes, I understand it was quite the battle to get that sorted. IIRC it cost them a heavier main gun too, but I can't recall if that was a weight issue or a budgetary one due to the cost of the strengthening. I'd sure love to have that hangar though. I think it's worth it even for UAVs. I wonder if you could fit a telescopic hangar to a RIVER?

Yes, I understand it was quite the battle to get that sorted. IIRC it cost them a heavier main gun too, but I can't recall if that was a weight issue or a budgetary one due to the cost of the strengthening. I'd sure love to have that hangar though. I think it's worth it even for UAVs. I wonder if you could fit a telescopic hangar to a RIVER?
Here is a good article about how one might go about modifying the River class to do different things. The telescopic hangar is likely a no-go, because it ignores the fact that the Landing Safety Officer (or Landing Deck Officer in the UK) spot is where the hangar would normally go. It also might not be robust enough for a full Cyclone as a Wildcat is a smaller aircraft.
However, something in that tonnage range, with TEU spots like @SeaKingTacco suggested earlier. A warship forward, a flexible space aft would likely be the best way to do it.

1622770033080.png

As you can see from this roughly correctly scaled River class a TEU doesn't take up much space. If the "flight deck" was repurposed as a workdeck like on the MCDV's it could be very flexible. Loading UAV's, TRAPS, and any minehunting gear that could be packaged in a TEU could be very useful.

I would hope for a fully electric motor which would allow it to have a quiet signature. Mainly so that it doesn't set off mines should that be required but also so that any sonar equipment the ship uses will have less ambient noise. Flexible accommodations and operations space to run plug-in equipment from. Generous power margins for those add ons.

Other than that radar needs to meet the requirements to safely land a helicopter.

Pretty simple actually. A River Class might be a bit too robust a warship, we could likely get by with something more industrial and workman-like.

Back