• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal Mounting

If the medal is one that has a pre-mounted bar/pin, whoever is coordinating the medal presentation ceremony should provide you with a medal hanger that you put on your DEU that the presenting officer hangs the medal on.  A good idea is to check to make sure the part where the bar goes isn't squeezed so tight that the bar can't fit.  It's embarrassing for everyone when the presenting officer has to struggle to force it into place. 

There are a few medals that don't have that pre-mounted bar/pin and in those instances the medal is presented hand to hand, normally in the presentation box.

tekstiles said:
Hi, I had my medals and miniatures expertly mounted in Scarborough, I'll root around for address, likely in Legion Magazine.  What's funny about this topic, last November I was in the local Ste-Anne-de-Belleview Legion, asking the elderly gents to assist with getting my new Legion uniform right for the big event in Ottawa.  It was frustrating until one old fellow told me: "It's a free country, wear that stuff any way you want"
Very refreshing, we need much more brevity in our time and place.

Yes, it's a free country, but there is such a thing as protocol.  Check on the GG's website to find out how to wear medals properly on civilian clothes (which, despite an assertion to the contrary, is what the Legion "uniform" actually is):

http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=14980&lan=eng

I am on a posting in the USA.  I can look to GOOGLE to check who does medal mounting; however, I wish to poll people here:

Whom would you recommend for mounting of my medals?  I received a bar to my CD and wish my medals (and minatures) to be mounted.  Primary criterium is quality, tied with reliability.  Secondary is price. 

Thank you in advance.

Technoviking said:
I am on a posting in the USA.  I can look to GOOGLE to check who does medal mounting; however, I wish to poll people here:

Whom would you recommend for mounting of my medals?  I received a bar to my CD and wish my medals (and minatures) to be mounted.  Primary criterium is quality, tied with reliability.  Secondary is price. 

Thank you in advance.

I swear by these guys:

http://christinemedals.ca/

Outstanding work IMHO.

Martel's in Angus, Ontario. Just outside Base Borden.
They did a great job on both our sets. Decent prices, prompt service and good quality work.

kratz said:
They did a great job on both our sets. Decent prices, prompt service and good quality work.
Gotta +1 this. After looking at their work, I actually paid out of my own pocket to have Rob and Jody remount my medals because they had been done so poorly via the contractor at supply.

garb811 said:
Gotta +1 this. After looking at their work, I actually paid out of my own pocket to have Rob and Jody remount my medals because they had been done so poorly via the contractor at supply.

I forgot to mention,

I had our work done via internet and mail.
Provided very reliable and professional service.

Technoviking said:

Thank you in advance.

Send it back here and get Sonja (spelling?) to do it?

kratz said:

What's considered a decent price for getting and mounting minis?  The local place charged me $75 to get one added and court mounted (I have 4 total).

Dimsum said:
What's considered a decent price for getting and mounting minis?  The local place charged me $75 to get one added and court mounted (I have 4 total).

minis were $11 + HST and shipping
mini bars were $8 + HST and shipping

kratz said:
minis were $11 + HST and shipping
mini bars were $8 + HST and shipping

Well, I have been, how do you say, "hosed" then.  :'(

It's because you will get charged for the total number of medals you have each time you add one as they need to take it apart to add the new one.

The ribbon is also pretty expensive, especially for rare or foreign awards. You're also getting ripped off if you're being charged 11 bucks a medal and not getting new ribbon everytime. If your medals are put together properly,  it should be incredibly difficult to recover the ribbon.

Remember also that you can put in a claim through Clothing Stores to recover at least some of the cost of mounting your full-size medals privately.  You do not have to have Clothing Stores mount them (or have them mounted) for you.

Dimsum said:
Well, I have been, how do you say, "hosed" then.  :'(

Depending on the cost of the new medal, you may not have been.  Some of the medals are over $25.  I think the last one I received (OSM Hum) was $26.50 plus mounting.

Our Wg Supply contract is with Martels;  the last time they did my medals they scratched the bar on the CD.  Otherwise, the mounting is well done.

My mini's, I've used these folks - very well done.  https://www.defencemedals.ca/  They also do ribbon bars. I don't wear ribbons often enough to spend the money myself, but a friend had a set done and they are pretty sharp looking.

People pay for ribbon bars? They're free at clothing stores...

Ya, these ones are fairly slim compared to the issued ribbon bar.  1 friend of mine got a set of the slim ones after he went UTP and started doing the 3B thing a lot.  Pic from the Defence Medals website.

Attachments

• IMG_5560_large.jpg
    IMG_5560_large.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 421
Back