• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medic and Nurse

B

baudspeed

Quick question. I know i may get a some chaff for putting this in the wrong section, but If i have my appologies.
First, I am a civillian currently preparing for my application. At this time i am faced with an added dilema, a distraction of a career that may be of use to me pre and post military experience. I am considering becomming an RN, and was wondering if there were any RN's or medics currently enrolled and on army.ca, that can answer a few questions:

1)Did you become an RN first, gain experience, then join the CF, or did you do your first three years in university then join in the last year of school?

2) Medics: Did you have previous medical backgrounds before CF? or did all of your training come from CF?

3) Are there any medics that are previous RNs? and why would you choose to be a medic VS a Nursing Officer?

Best Regards

Lost Cargo

Speaking as a medic, I had no real medical background coming into the CF beyond some advanced first aid training.  Most nurses I know joined the CF while in nursing school or just after they finished, though I know a few that are doing the University Training Plan - NCM as baby nurses to be or have actually just finished; these people were NCO's in other trades previous to going to university.

MM

MedicineMan,
you stated that ';these people were NCO's in other trades previous to going to university.', Are you saying that they left the forces to go back to school and then restarted? or were in reserves?

I served in the combat arms before remustering (LOTP) to Med Tech. No previous medical experience.

My "better half" is a NO who was a RN, BScN and then joined after working in the civilian field (about...ummm...10? years or so experience, including Emerg/OHN and some other stuff).  She is a member of this site, Hot Lips.  She might answer questions on the university/education side and civilian nursing side, if you PM her.  She received no bonuses or subsidized education benefits as she decided to join the CF after completing her BScN.

Please don't ask me anything though, as I am not a medical person, unless you consider Emergency Level SJ's-Ambulance FA "medically trained".   ;D

I am sure HLs wouldn't mind a PM though with questions.

Lost Cargo said:
MedicineMan,
you stated that ';these people were NCO's in other trades previous to going to university.', Are you saying that they left the forces to go back to school and then restarted? or were in reserves?

These people became officers through the University Training Plan - Non-Commisssioned Member.  This plan takes soldiers with the proper pre-requisites and sends them to university on the Queen's bill, with them serving as officers in return.  They didn't have to get out to go to nursing school - they were paid by the military to go.

MM

I had my interview a week ago, I'm entering in as a med tech as well.
I was put through to be recommended for the service by my interviewer. However, it was strongly suggested by him that I should have had something like an advanced first aid course at least.
Luckily, I have been in a houshold with a parent that is in emergency medicine, so I hear alot and being the curious guy I am, I ask any question that comes to mind, plus I have books at my disposal to read. Wich, I have read and will read again before basic.
However, I know he really suggested I should have taken some kind of education, even just a community college class.
If you get to your interview, don't get so nervous that you draw a blank! I totally forgot a few important things, like having previous basic first aid and CPR training and a week I spent in buffalo helping inner city kids out when he asked for any type of community volunteer work.

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure any of my vounteer stuff would have been important. I will have to remember to mention that.

" Quick question. I know i may get a some chaff for putting this in the wrong section, but If i have my apologies.

First, I am a civilian currently preparing for my application. At this time i am faced with an added dilemma, a distraction of a career that may be of use to me pre and post military experience. I am considering becomming an RN, and was wondering if there were any RN's or medics currently enrolled and on army.ca, that can answer a few questions:

1)Did you become an RN first, gain experience, then join the CF, or did you do your first three years in university then join in the last year of school?

2) Medics: Did you have previous medical backgrounds before CF? or did all of your training come from CF?

3) Are there any medics that are previous RNs? and why would you choose to be a medic VS a Nursing Officer?

Best Regards

Lost Cargo"

In response to your questions concerning career paths within the CFMS, I have been a practicing RN since 2002 and an Emergency Care Nursing Officer in the reserves since 2003.  All through my university training I had friends involved with the CF who were recruiting me to join the unit (Fd Amb)  before I graduated
(4 year program).  I chose to hold of on enrolling.

Now that I am "In", I am glad that I did hold off until joining.  Two days after graduation I applied to join the Reg Forces as a NO, buts changed paths to enroll in the Reserves. 

I can speak from experience as an NO, but also to a certain extent as a Med Tech, it is almost better join with a health care background from civi side. 

From the Nursing perspective, my degree and civi license is my trade qualification.  University was busy enough to go without committing to CF service at the same time.  As well, I wouldn't have been employable in the reserves in my trade until I graduated so I would have been more a hanger on, focusing on green skills in unit activities.  The other bonus of studying and working Civi side is the clinical experience and time in without the "green tape" of the military training schedule.

My input from a Med Tech perspective is from working as the training officer for my reserve unit.  The Med Tech's that are getting ahead the most are those with Civi side education (Primary Care paramedic) and employment.   In most takings and postings there will be some sort of prior learning assessment. so the more you can bring with you the better.

My experience with applying for the reg force  and dealing with the temptation of signing bonuses etc., nothing is for free.  Any signing bonuses you may be offered comes with an obligation to serve, so if you join now, spend 4 years in school to attain your degree, pay back 8 years minimum, you had better be sure this is the field you want to practice in. 

Unfortunately I can't speak to clinical experience you may gain by going reg force as an RN or Med Tech.

Hope this rambling offers some type of answer to your question

Ian

Ian,
Thanks for the candid info. I have/had thought  that joining reg and pushing for a medic style trade might be something that was down my alley. As for the RN, my concern therein lies the cost of school. I am 7 years out of university, and the thought of incurring 60,000 in debt for 4 years runs a chill down my spine. Mind you, I also had not thought of doing reserves while going to school, so perhaps that is a way to get the basics out of the way while attending university.

Anyone give me any info on their personal path to becomming a Reg. Forces Medical Technician? have you found that you have been provided with ample opportunity for deployment and challenges? Or is there alot of behind the wire office clean room work?

I guess the thing is that  my interest in ever day life is helping people. I do alot fair amount of vounteering and enjoy challenges of outdoors. The opportunity to combine this in a Medical Technician trade seems at first like a good choice. Not that I wish to bring out the negative, but can anyone cite issues with the trade? what sucks most about it?

Great Thread! Lots of info here and something for me to refer back to.

Thanks Everyone!

Rebecca

Lost Cargo,

Have you considered  attending a college program for PCP in conjunction with the CF Reserves ?  In Ontario this is generally a two year program, with ride out time with civi EMS while join a reserve Fd Amb to start the green skills side of things. 

Does anyone know how it works in the reg forces for med techs ? I have heard talk of the Reg Force QL3 being the civi PCP equivelant.  I am familiar with the reserve side of things but not the reg force.. how long does it take to become PCP level certified in the CF reg force ?

Adding a BSc Nurisng is a big step to take to get a career in the CF.  It is usually more likely to decide to do something like this before hand then get into the miltary either after or near the end of training. You have do your schooling and clinical work civi side and then apply it to the CF.

Ian

yes, it is the civillian equivalent to the civillian PCP. However, I think the training will be alot better than you would get in the civillian world.

QL3 Med Techs go to JIBC or Ahuntsic College and complete PCP training as part of their course.  I think the JIBC (correct me someone if I'm too out to lunch) is about 3 months (yes, slightly condensed).  They also have to do clinical and field phases here in Borden.

MM

Lost Cargo,
How are you?
I am currently finishing up my first year of University(General Sciences). I have been accepted to start my BScN in Fall 07. Also, I have my ROTP(Civilian University) application with the CF. I've done my interview etc and just waiting for an offer(hoping to get one).
Personally I agree with Ian's comments here. You have to make sure that you are absolutely sure about your choice when it comes to ROTP. You should be willing to join with a long term commitment to CF than a short stint. For me, I want to be a Nurse and I can not afford to pay for my undergraduate degree so ROTP civie works the best for me. Whatever # of years of commitment that comes with it, I am okay with that.
These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself as far as ROTP NO is concerned.
Hope this helps.

Good Luck

FN

Future Nurse.
Thanks for the heart felt cautioning. It is appreciated. I am aware that there is a fair amount of commitment in years required for the military to pay for courses, etc. And that there is also a grade level that needs to be kept up for this.
My concern is not the duration of my commitment, but rather which field Medical Technician, or Nursing Officer trade I should focus on pursuing. This is more of an information gathering process that i am undergoing.
My commitment at this point to the CF is pretty high. I intend on putting in quite a few years if not until I retire, so that is not something I am concerned with at this time. My goal is not to get things paid for, but rather ensure that the career choice that I am pursuing *IN* the CF is the correct one.

Anyone else in the Medical Technician or Nursing Officer trade that cares to comment on their career path, and how they got where they are? perhapse some reflections on what they wished they had picked up in civi life prior to joining?

one_speed said:
Lost Cargo,

Have you considered  attending a college program for PCP in conjunction with the CF Reserves ?  In Ontario this is generally a two year program, with ride out time with civi EMS while join a reserve Fd Amb to start the green skills side of things. 

Does anyone know how it works in the reg forces for med techs ? I have heard talk of the Reg Force QL3 being the civi PCP equivelant.  I am familiar with the reserve side of things but not the reg force.. how long does it take to become PCP level certified in the CF reg force ?

Adding a BSc Nurisng is a big step to take to get a career in the CF.  It is usually more likely to decide to do something like this before hand then get into the miltary either after or near the end of training. You have do your schooling and clinical work civi side and then apply it to the CF.

Ian

If you are considering taking a PCP course b4 enrolling, please consider a career as a SARTech  http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/athomedocs/athome_2_4_e.asp  We are currently accepting accreditted paramedics for direct enrollment, as well as our traditional occupational transfer route. SARTechs spend the majority of their career doing the job for which they trained, namely aid victims of disaster. Nursing in Canada seems to be primarily administrative in nature, with limited "hands on". I'm sure that there is plenty of exposure in Afghanistan, but you can't spend your entire career over there. Any job in the Forces will be challenging and rewarding, good luck in your journey

KJ,
Another excellent suggestion that I had not considered. Thanks!

KJ: "Nursing in Canada seems to be primarily administrative in nature, with limited "hands on"." 

Please explain from what evidence or wealth of experience you are basing this statement on.  Those OR nurses, Air Evac nurses and critical care nurses just do paperwork do they.  I think I would have to say that in comparison SAR Techs do very little "hands-on" as compared to some of these uniformed nurses.

;D I knew that would kick over a nest... I'm not exactly in the Medical system, more like one of the CFMS's lost half cousins, but I know that many of the tasks that are done by nurses in the civilian system are handled by Medics and PA's in the CF system. That coupled with the general good health of CF "clients" leads me to believe that there is less work load dealing with direct patient contact, and ( like the rest of the military) a lot more time in front of a computer, typing. That by no means is meant to diminish the work done by NO s who take care of our critically wounded soldiers, work in operating rooms, or evac them home . My thought is that there aren't that many nurses employed in those roles, compared to the total # of nurses. Maybe I'm wrong? Your thoughts...

Back