• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medic DEU insignias

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic2ic

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been reading throughout the different "medical" threads that since we medics (reserve) no longer fall under brigade commands (from our original CSS Units - not Fd Ambs), we should be removing our LFCmd pin on the pocket and our brigade patches. Can anyone enter any insight into this? Should I start bugging my Fd Amb that I am now "attached from" to get these new badges out to me? Whats the story?? Do I wear the old Land Force Command pin and Brigade patch or not??

As far as I know, the badges that are supposed to be replacing the bde patch and the Land Force Command pin aren't available yet. My unit stopped wearing the bde patch and the Land Force Command pin about a year ago, and from what I remember seeing in Borden over the summer that seems to be the case for other army CFMG units as well. I'm sure someone will be along with a more definitive answer though.

Well my unit is usually about 1 year behind the times, so I guess eventually all of us medics will look the same in uniform. But until then, we'll all look different and then get yelled at for being out of uniform. Strange cycle really.

Micheal:

That's right. All CF medical units now come directly under CFMG.  I believe they are OPCON (vice the previous OPCOM) to brigades but will stand corrected as my memory is a bit hazy after being on leave... :)

TR

Michael Dorosh said:
Why would the LFC badge come down?  Medics are no longer part of the Army???

Correct.  CFMG is it's own Corp.  Lead by the DGHS (Director General Health Services).
It has been this way since the re-org.  Thus why all the medical units belong to CFMG now,
and not the brigades.

There are a number of threads here about the Health Service Restructure.

As for the command badge, I'll quote Ratcatcher from another thread:

" ...  As for the command badge and the brigade patch, since we are no longer members of a brigade we do not wear the patch, we are now lodger units of bases, and members of a numbered health services group ie.. for myself in valcartier, I am a member of 4 Gp de service de sante.  As for the command badge we will be getting issued the ADM-HR (Mil) command badge. It is white with a red strip from top to bottom and the gryphon (the mythical beast and not the helicopter) upon it. The gryphon is in gold. "

Wonderful... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see when that filters down from the Mother Shop (Fd Ambs) to the little people in all the CSS or Cbt Arm units.

Thanks for the info, this forum is very helpful.

Medics do not wear brigade patches or enviromental pins any more...

There is a new Human Rescourses branch pin that will be coming out in the next 6 months for all members of CFMG. Its is a white shield with a red horizontal strip thru the middle third and the regal lion on the center.

I believe it is a Griffin (the mythical beast not the Helo) and not the lion. I have only seen it once and that was on the branch Sargent major at Op Med.

GF

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/engraph/home_e.asp?Lev1=11

I assume we're trying to describe something like the one shown here in the top left corner.

Cheers

Not realy, I was referring to the command badge. It has a winged lion (Griffon) superimposed on a red and white background.

GF

Gotcha....

I cropped the inner circle out of that cap badge, but I'm having trouble uploading it right now.
Would the center of that look similar ?

old medic said:
http://www.dnd.ca/hr/engraph/home_e.asp?Lev1=11

I assume we're trying to describe something like the one shown here in the top left corner.

Cheers

Yes just like in the center of the ADM (HA-Mi)l capbadge, except the red stip is horizontal...

I acutally left the trade because of this move by the Medical system.

I knew it was going to screw up alot of people and it did.  All medics
in infantry or other units had to go to a medical unit (although they can
be attached posted back to their original unit) they fall under control
of the new core.

And now they're playing with standards of the reservists of what they
can and can't do..... Forget it.. Either I can save a life, or I can't.

Remuster....  i loved being a medic, but my new trade has always been
my calling, and my time in the medics was not wasted. Saved a few lives
so....

Trinity said:
I acutally left the trade because of this move by the Medical system.

I knew it was going to screw up alot of people and it did.  All medics in infantry or other units had to go to a medical unit (although they can be attached posted back to their original unit) they fall under control of the new core.

And now they're playing with standards of the reservists of what they can and can't do..... Forget it.. Either I can save a life, or I can't.

Remuster....  i loved being a medic, but my new trade has always been my calling, and my time in the medics was not wasted. Saved a few lives
so....

It was a sad, sad day when we lost our medics out of the Calgary Highlanders - they did everything the infantry did.  One sergeant (now in a medical company) took his Comms Course with the privates and corporals just because he wanted to be qualified PROPERLY.  I saw him carry the C6 on exercise, also.

Now this crap?

There are rumours flying that all the clerks in our brigade are being reassigned to Service Battalion.  From where they will probably be assigned back to the combat arms units.  I'm not an infanteer, but I wore the regimental cap badge for 9 years as a piper, and have served the regiment for 9 more years as a clerk, signaller, driver and a couple of times as a rifleman (don't ask how desperate they were!) on exercise.  I consider myself a Highlander.  I am hoping the Empire building that is going on in the support trades is going to be a trend that firmly stops soon.  Bad enough we lost our vehicle techs, weapons techs, supply techs, medics, orderly rooms....I don't see any good coming from this trend.

And now medics aren't even part of the Army anymore?  What the hell is "human resources"?  We had that at the Bank of Nova Scotia where I worked civvie side.  Never struck me as a component of our land forces...

What next.

Michael Dorosh said:
Now this crap?

There are rumours flying that all the clerks in our brigade are being reassigned to Service Battalion.   From where they will probably be assigned back to the combat arms units.   I'm not an infanteer, but I wore the regimental cap badge for 9 years as a piper, and have served the regiment for 9 more years as a clerk, signaller, driver and a couple of times as a rifleman (don't ask how desperate they were!) on exercise.   I consider myself a Highlander.   I am hoping the Empire building that is going on in the support trades is going to be a trend that firmly stops soon.   Bad enough we lost our vehicle techs, weapons techs, supply techs, medics, orderly rooms....I don't see any good coming from this trend.

And now medics aren't even part of the Army anymore?   What the heck is "human resources"?   We had that at the Bank of Nova Scotia where I worked civvie side.   Never struck me as a component of our land forces...

What next.

As to the Calg Highrs losing their EME techs, it was more a question of getting the pers trained and allowing them to do their job.  The permissive schedule for repairs is fairly restrictive, especially if there isn't a trained supervisor.  The Svc Bns are having problems with this as well.

Oh, granted; the Wpns Tech candidate we had - as you know - was told he had to take a course several months in length.  He did EME common and decided the gratuity looked very appealing suddenly.

I was hoping you were going to dispel the rumour about the clerks going to Service Battalion.  Lucky for me we will have more paid positions for R871.  I'm very happy as a clerk but they can try and pry my tam o'shanter out of my cold dead hands.  I'll remuster before I lose my regimental affiliation.  I could get used to playing bagpipes for a living again.

Sorry to the medics for being off topic - so tell me, has the reassignment of medics from the combat arms to the medical companies (at least in the Militia) really improved anything for anyone?

Your affiliation as an R836 is to the trade, not to a unit.  Last summer I marched a remuster over to QM, had his old unit affiliation removed and put up the logistics cap badge on his BERET.  Just because you get away with this does not make it correct, contrary to your thinking.

Worn Out Grunt said:
Your affiliation as an R836 is to the trade, not to a unit.  Last summer I marched a remuster over to QM, had his old unit affiliation removed and put up the logistics cap badge on his BERET.  Just because you get away with this does not make it correct, contrary to your thinking.

Don't even dare tell me who my "affiliation" is with.  I'm a Highlander, and if I wear the LOG badge, it's because I have to.  I don't "get away" with anything, I occupy a position on my regiment's establishment.  And if you tried to pull that crap on me, you'd be sorely disappointed.  ;D 

XOXOXOX

Michael Dorosh said:
Sorry to the medics for being off topic - so tell me, has the reassignment of medics from the combat arms to the medical companies (at least in the Militia) really improved anything for anyone?

Has this change improved anything for me... no... I'm a medic that was with a Svc Bn, and have been moved over to a Fd Amb, if anything I have lost training I think. We are only brought to our Fd Amb units maybe 4 times a year, this year only twice. And now when we are in our "original" units, they don't know what to do with us (medics). I end up sitting in the orderly room all night doing clerk stuff. The odd night I'll count bandaids in the first aid kits, lord help us if we're low, because we certainly don't have any stock to replace anything with.

As for administration, it takes forever to get something done, as we have to go through e-mail or phone to our Fd Ambs, takes forever....

I am the originator of this thread... and I have to say that this is a far cry from talking about Medical insignias on our DEU's. We may have to move this over to another thread. But thanks for all the great insight into this matter. I'm glad to see that there are others that aren't 100% approving of this new switch over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back