• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medic DEU insignias

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put the horizontal stripe Vs Vertical stripe thing to a rest... I saw the new badge, my CO actually showed it to everyone and it is vertical, exactly like the ADM-HR(MIL) badge but in the form of a shield...

Michael Dorosh said:
Oh, granted; the Wpns Tech candidate we had - as you know - was told he had to take a course several months in length.   He did EME common and decided the gratuity looked very appealing suddenly.

I was hoping you were going to dispel the rumour about the clerks going to Service Battalion.   Lucky for me we will have more paid positions for R871.   I'm very happy as a clerk but they can try and pry my tam o'shanter out of my cold dead hands.   I'll remuster before I lose my regimental affiliation.   I could get used to playing bagpipes for a living again.

Sorry to the medics for being off topic - so tell me, has the reassignment of medics from the combat arms to the medical companies (at least in the Militia) really improved anything for anyone?

Actually in has been an improvement for us on the Reg force side. Now because the Reg'ts don't own thier medics and the medics employment is determined by Snr medical people, we can be more effective in prioritizing taskings and ensureing we have the most qualifed pers in any given role.

For instance, I was at 3 RCR. That Bn is in reorg for upcoming tasks. I happened to be one of the most qualifed and Sr MCpls in the Brigade. Fd Amb wanted me to go on this tour. If I were posted to 3 RCR they would have had to cut a messege to post me back to Fd Amb, and then post someone else there in my place.

We are too short to keyhole good pers into areas where we can't get to them. Also with things like pregnancy and pat and mat leave, we are taking a kicking on the pers side. We don't have enough medics to go around an fill all the positions, jobs, tasks and deployments we are being given...

As much as you dislike it, for us it is a good thing.

Armymedic said:
Actually in has been an improvement for us on the Reg force side. Now because the Reg'ts don't own thier medics and the medics employment is determined by Snr medical people, we can be more effective in prioritizing taskings and ensureing we have the most qualifed pers in any given role.

For instance, I was at 3 RCR. That Bn is in reorg for upcoming tasks. I happened to be one of the most qualifed and Sr MCpls in the Brigade. Fd Amb wanted me to go on this tour. If I were posted to 3 RCR they would have had to cut a messege to post me back to Fd Amb, and then post someone else there in my place.

We are too short to keyhole good pers into areas where we can't get to them. Also with things like pregnancy and pat and mat leave, we are taking a kicking on the pers side. We don't have enough medics to go around an fill all the positions, jobs, tasks and deployments we are being given...

As much as you dislike it, for us it is a good thing.

But how do the infantry battalions feel about it?  I'm tempted to say "they're the ones that matter"... If what you say is true - that the most experienced medics (or put a better way, the right men/women for the job) are being tasked to the combat units, then it is indeed a good thing.  All of us exist to support the armoured, infantry, engineers and artillery do their job at the pointy end, right?

I fully agree that this may be a better option for the Regular Force troops/units, but as a reservist, it doesn't seem that the "outside medics" get the training or posn's that we should. Some of us that have been with our reserve units for years are much more suited to stay with our supported Artillery/Infantry.... units, but the Fd Ambs tend to task there original medics to these positions. We are much more familiar to the gun lines and what not, their medics might never have even seen a howitzer or an infantry unit in action as they are usually stuck with the BMS or UMS. I guess what I am saying is, again since we do not see the training that the Fd Ambs do, we may not been seen as beneficial medics to put with our supported units, even though we have many beneficial skills that a Fd Amb medic may not.  Our units still do not know what to do with us on training nights/weekends/exercises. There is no direction for "outside medics." We need to adapt our own training syllabus, but then again, we don't have the equipment. There are problems all around, maybe it is more beneficial in the long run, after all... I would have never gotten to take the PHTLS crse that the Fd Amb ran for us if we weren't part of the Fd Amb.

Needless to say, the bit switch-a-roo isn't really working to benefit the reserve side yet... but we are usually quite a few years behind our big brothers in the Regs, so I guess our time will come soon.

Worn Out Grunt said:
Your affiliation as an R836 is to the trade, not to a unit.

I think your right... our official association is with our trade.  But when I knew I would be leaving the Inf
to be sent to the medic... no one was taking my Balmoral or my unit.  I left and went to another Scottish
Regt.  with a new trade.  (which is my civilian trade anyways)

Once you're part of a Scottish Unit...  That Balmoral (tam... for those who call it that)... becomes part of you.
I would have remustered Infantry or left the army rather than gone back to the beret.  Thats how strongly
attached your loyalties become. 

Sorry, sunshine, I would march you over to QM and make you pay for it.  At attention.  Did it.

Why do you want to go into this?

Worn Out Grunt said:
Sorry, sunshine, I would march you over to QM and make you pay for it.  At attention.  Did it.

Why do you want to go into this?

Did I not agree with you that the initial responsiblity lies to the trade?

I was only explaining that people of Scottish Units take a strong pride in the herritage of
their regiment.  Something i hope everyone does towards their unit. 

So.. Where did you perceive we are going into this?  Since I agreed with you I thought I
was supporting your post.  Did I suggest NOT marching your troop over to rebadge? Did
I suggest refusing to wear the proper headdress or badge?  No, I simply said when I came
to a similiar situation, I handled it by rebadging to stick to my herritage and history of being
Scottish in the military.

How did I challenge you by agreeing with you?

As an 836 I find that I am expected to to follow rules and regulations....  to keep my military masters out of jail.  And I don't mean this in jest....  as a 'staff clerk" I am not just a trasncriber, but an interpreter of the rules and regulations.

Worn Out Grunt said:
As an 836 I find that I am expected to to follow rules and regulations....  to keep my military masters out of jail.  And I don't mean this in jest....  as a 'staff clerk" I am not just a trasncriber, but an interpreter of the rules and regulations.

and although the Jr's might hate you for it, the senior NCO's and officers most likely don't.

I'm glad I don't have command responsiblity in my trade and that people like you enforce the rules.
It keeps us officers out of trouble and the troops in line.

I think we are agreeing on the same point.  Also, I think we just hijacked this thread.

So, Blessings to you and yours...

Trinity

Michael Dorosh said:
But how do the infantry battalions feel about it?   I'm tempted to say "they're the ones that matter"...

Indeed you are correct. And they didn't like it, but when given the option of not "OWNING" thier UMS or not having any medical persons at all because there were none to be posted in...most caved to the way it is now because all realized that they would have to change the way we do all do business...

After all it all about ownership, and not the most effective support, isn't it?

Ok...not that thats done...

Mods, lets lock this and adjust the threads to where they should be....this discussion of medic employment could be better served in the  Fd Amd vs units  poll thread.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back