• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Assistant - Reserve

kj_gully said:
Just to be clear, joining the army doesn't make you an Infanteer. The army revolves around the Infanteer, but you don't have to be an Infanteer to be in the Army. Med Tech is a separate job. If you want to do medical stuff, join as a Medic. There are many posts in the Health services section of milnet.ca on that. If you want to create work for medics, join the infantry.

The thing is, you have to be done High School with a credit in Biology and Chemistry. As of right now, I am not close to finishing high school, therefore, not eligible to be a Medical Technician

Activated said:
Thanks a lot guys, it answered a lot of questions... On the other hand, can anyone confirm that you are not able to take the TCCC course in a reserve unit? Or confirm that there can be combat medics with Infanteers

First off, there is no such thing as a "combat" medic, per se.  IIRC, if you are trained as a medic and have your SQ, you can serve with an army unit.  The chances of a reservist who is not deploying getting a TCCC course is slim to none and slim just walked out the door.  Go see the CFRC and discuss your trade possibilities with them. If you want to join the reserves before you finish high school, you are going to have to join as something else and then OT to Med Tech once you meet the qualifications.  Have you even written a CFAT yet?

Full blown Combat medics are Medics. There are TCCC qualified Infanteers to assist. You can get TCCC as Reserve, my guess is it is more likely if going on deployment. You should join the Reserves and if you like the Army, Occupational Transfer to Medic once you have the prerequisites. Until then, which isn't very far away, you can learn some basic soldier skills and earn some money.

So ever since i was 15, i was interesting in helping people, in combination with joining the military so i've never really known what i could do, i thought i would have to pick either nurse or join the military. But my friend suggested a "combat medic". I visited the forces website looking for a career that would be similar to combat medic, there is no "combat medic" MOC on the website, the closest thing to it i found would be a medical technician.

So my question is, do medical technicians fight on the line with the infantry? Are they the medics that are on the front line helping the wounded infantry and stuff? You're help is much appreciated, im signing up once i graduated from highschool with my chemistry and biology credits.

which would be this september.

Yes there are Med Techs attached to Rifle Companies and Recce Pl in an Infantry Battalion when overseas.  Search the forums an I'm sure you will find more info about it and what QL level you need to be attached to the Infantry.

thanks alot for the very quick response. I've tried to search and come up with nothing, but i could very well be searching the wrong key words.

Did you try "Medic"? That pulled up a page of posts. So did "Med Tech". Trying "Med" did the same.

Med Techs do not "fight" on the front line.  They are governed by the Geneva Convention.  Google it.  Far to much detail to post here, however, in the simplest terms, they can only "fight" for protection of themselves or their patient.

PMedMoe said:
Med Techs do not "fight" on the front line.  They are governed by the Geneva Convention.  Google it.  Far to much detail to post here, however, in the simplest terms, they can only "fight" for protection of themselves or their patient.

but they do carry a gun....

PMedMoe said:

Yes, party line for public consumption.

In reality though....

Thanks a lot guys, I was talking about the TCCC course. I already got myself planned now. Join the infantry, then change to Medical Tech. :D Thank you again

I have been reading allot of threads about Med Techs reg and reserves and the way it sounds is the reserves don't receive the full training the reg force Med Techs do. My question is if this is correct and I decide to volunteer for a tour over seas how am I supposed to feel confident in my ability to offer the same care as a reg force med tech and will the soldiers be feeling the same way? I have been an EMR for over a year and have worked with an ambulance company and have gone on tons of calls. I know it is not the same as in the field but there is something to say for experience dealing with patients no matter how serious the call.  I guess what I am asking is, By joining the reserves am I going to get the necessary tools I need to be able to serve my country over seas and at home and if not are there extra courses I can take to better my education and experience so I will be ready when the time comes. If I could go reg force right now I would but it will be a few years before that happens so I feel that the reserves is a great start and a way to start my training and gain valuable experience.

I am pretty positive that reserves get the same training as regulars (maybe not the same quality in terms of obstacle courses). The people training the reserves are usually from what I have heard the older reservists and soldiers from the regulars. So if a regular ever says a reservist has bad training it would be like the pot calling the kettle black since the regulars help train reservists.

Infantry reservists in Ontario are gifted with the fact that Meaford (their MOC training area) is close to them.

Dean22 said:
I am pretty positive that reserves get the same training as regulars

No they do not.

If you are Air Reserve, you will go on a Reg F course and be trained to the same standard.  Army Reserves do the courses at their own units.  I can't speak for the Naval Reserves.

We once had a Reserve QL6A Med Tech at our unit for a tasking.  He was not allowed to work unsupervised.  This was a few years ago, things may have changed since then.

Last warning Dean, stay in your lanes or go into the warning system

Scott
Army.ca Staff

Actually, Reserve Med Techs do not belong to the Air Reserve or the Army Reserve; rather, all Reserve Med Techs belong to the Health Services Reserves.

As I am not with the HS Reserves, I'm not in a place to discuss their training standards, Reg and/or Res.

dapaterson said:
Actually, Reserve Med Techs do not belong to the Air Reserve or the Army Reserve; rather, all Reserve Med Techs belong to the Health Services Reserves.

That is true, however, they still must parade at a unit and that would determine their element and training.

I will admit, I was never a Medic in the Reserves, however, I have known quite a few and those who took the same courses as the Reg F Medics, wore the Air uniform.

Some of the best medics we had on tour were reservist.As most of them were paramedics from large urban areas,and honestly had more experience in trauma than the reg force medics with them.

X-mo-1979 said:
Some of the best medics we had on tour were reservist.As most of them were paramedics from large urban areas,and honestly had more experience in trauma than the reg force medics with them.

Of course they would, being paramedics from large urban areas.  Unfortunately, most medics (Reg or Res) usually don't get much trauma exposure until they deploy.

PMedMoe said:
No they do not.

If you are Air Reserve, you will go on a Reg F course and be trained to the same standard.  Army Reserves do the courses at their own units.  I can't speak for the Naval Reserves.

We once had a Reserve QL6A Med Tech at our unit for a tasking.  He was not allowed to work unsupervised.  This was a few years ago, things may have changed since then.

Moe you're only partially right. There no longer exists a Naval or Air Reserve MedAid. The ONLY Health Services Reserve Unit is now the Field Ambulance. PRes MedTechs by definition are all LAND and do NOT do MOC training at their units, they do it at CFHSS Borden where the PRes QL3MedTech is ran. The course is the St John's AMFR2 (POS course), which is recognized by St John and some places. IMHO if the CF H Svc switched to PCP then they should also have switched to EMR as the PRes QL3, but I digress.

Currently there exists a program where PRes MedTechs after completing a tour may put their name in for Forces paid PCP training, provided that they meet the pre reqs, and is willing to serve a period of Class B/C service after the completion of the PCP training. After the completion of PCP, PRes QL3 and QL4 they are then granted a RegF QL3 standard and can be deployed just like any other QL3 MedTech in the RegF. This program is seldom used, and is stringent to get into. Another words, don't count on it if you're an applicant.

But keep this in mind, those PCPs who join from a Civilian service into the CF will already have MORE experience and patient contact hrs then a RegF QL3 MedTech serving the same amount of time in the CF. We often frack things up beautifully by pissing the clinicians and paramedics off by not recognizing their skills. So if you've alredy got your PCP and working on car... think hard and carefully about joining the CF H Svc.

Hope that cleared things up.

Back