• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Assistant - Reserve

Dean22 said:
Infantry reservists in Ontario are gifted with the fact that Meaford (their MOC training area) is close to them.
  How can you even say that ?  even tho i'm not in yet, i live in thunder bay. Meaford IS NOWHERE NEAR thunder bay, to say if its around GTA that almost 18 hrs ? shilo is the closest to us at 8-9ish.

Protege - the simple answer is that Reserve Force Med Techs do not, for the most part, get the same training as the Reg F Med Techs. But it's not as cut and dry as that would make it seem.

As a Res F Med Tech, you would start with Basic Military Qaulification (BMQ) and Soldier Qualification (SQ - now called BMQ-Land in some places). This is your basic soldier skill set, and the Reg F gets pretty much the same training in this regard.

For actual medical training, the Reserves have Qualification Level (QL) 3, 4, 6A, and 6B. These are courses run in CFB Borden in the summer.  The Regular Force has career courses at Borden as well, but they are longer in duration, and over time enable a far greater scope of practice.

To be equivalent to a Reg F QL3 Med Tech, a Reservist needs their QL3 and 4, and to be a current Primary Care Paramedic. Once you have the 3's and 4's and PCP, a Prior Learning Assessment gets sent to the national HQ and the equivalency is granted. Does this sound convoluted enough?

In theory, Reg F QL3 equivalency is the absolute minimum for you to be deployed in a medical role. But, there are many Res F Med Techs who don't have their PCP who have gone over as Armoured Ambulance Drivers, or Crew Commanders, or have worked in Admin roles in the hospital. If you were to join a Res F unit, you could also send up all your civilian qualifications to see what sort of equivalencies can be granted.

Being a Reservist does not shut out the Reg F career stream as well. As noted, there is the Res F PCP Training Initiative, where Res units can nominate members to go on the PCP program, which can lead to Reg F QL3 equivalency. This is also about to be furthered by offering the ability to those who have remained 'clinically current' to go on the Reg F QL5 course. The Reg F is also addressing what to do with people who want to join the Reserves after getting their Physician Assistant degree from a civilian university.

If you can't join the Reg F at the moment, join the Res F - you can get going on the BMQ and SQ, even the Driver's course. If you get you QL3 and QL4 before going to the Reg F, then you only need to be trained to the deficit - PCP.

Good luck - it is an amazing and rewarding career!

protege121 said:
I have been reading allot of threads about Med Techs reg and reserves and the way it sounds is the reserves don't receive the full training the reg force Med Techs do.

Not in every case. Like I said, those who have their PCP in the PRes and have completed the PRes MedTEch QL3/4 is given a RegF QL3 standard, and is able to provide the same care to the troops. However you are very rarely without supervision as a QL3 MedTech, and most often then not if you're a paramedic civi side you've got more exposure to trauma, and medical calls then majority of QL3 medtechs in the RegF anyways.

protege121 said:
My question is if this is correct and I decide to volunteer for a tour over seas how am I supposed to feel confident in my ability to offer the same care as a reg force med tech and will the soldiers be feeling the same way?

More often then not unless you havea RegF QL3 you would NOT be deployed in a patient care provider role. You will deploy as Bison Amb Driver, or 1 Section 2 Detachment Pte/Cpl #5 another words an assistant. You will be utilized up to the extent of your training. If SHTF then you have to do the best you can with the training that you have Forces, or civi side.

protege121 said:
I have been an EMR for over a year and have worked with an ambulance company and have gone on tons of calls. I know it is not the same as in the field but there is something to say for experience dealing with patients no matter how serious the call.

Well true and not true. As an EMR your protocols are limited, and you cannot start IVs or use a nebuliser, or a Sager depending on which province you're from. But you're right patient contact is better then no patient contact.

protege121 said:
I guess what I am asking is, By joining the reserves am I going to get the necessary tools I need to be able to serve my country over seas and at home and if not are there extra courses I can take to better my education and experience so I will be ready when the time comes.

Not all of the necessary tools, because PRes training is severely lacking. The AMFR2 program does NOT work. I've seen high school First-Responders perform better then my PRes QL3 MedTechs... that says something.  The extra courses you can take are the following:

PCP.

protege121 said:
If I could go reg force right now I would but it will be a few years before that happens so I feel that the reserves is a great start and a way to start my training and gain valuable experience.

PRes is an awesome way to start, but gaining experience wise I wouldn't count on it. Honestly the H Svc Reserve is not what it's cracked up to be. This is due to limiting of training, having people who don't know what Pre-Hospital care is all about in charge of the training, and in command of the units. This unfortunately is a broad stroke, and details would obviously have to be provided... however... those were my observations.

What I'm trying to say is, yes experience will be there... but your mileage will greatly vary.

mariomike said:
I would rather pick up a hundred strangers than get sent to go get a friend. Those are the calls you tend to remember. I think that's the big difference.

I agree with you on that point, however, that's not what my comment was about.

hello,

im currently in grade 11 ... so i will be graduating next year. ive done a bit of research ..
to become a medical technician i need to finish highschool with chemsitry and biology, and im taking both of those.
the things im worried about are the physical fitness test and the CFAT.
my questions are: (sorry if there are many questions)

1) how hard is the 2.4 km run ? would running on the treadmill be good enough to prepare for it?
2) how high of a score would i need to get on the CFAT
3) how about if i dont pass the CFAT to become a medtech, do i still have another chance to become one, example: maybe doing a re-test.
4) i heard it takes a while to actually become a reserve ? should i go to the nearest recruiting centre NOW, apply as a reserve, and do all the processes?  ... because i plan to do all the training and the tests in the summer after i graduate so it would be right after i graduate highschool and just before i go to university.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE, AND SORRY FOR THE NUMBER OF QUESTIONS!!!

-GQ. :cdn: :)

gQeline said:
hello,

im currently in grade 11 ... so i will be graduating next year. ive done a bit of research ..
to become a medical technician i need to finish highschool with chemsitry and biology, and im taking both of those.
the things im worried about are the physical fitness test and the CFAT.
my questions are: (sorry if there are many questions)

1) how hard is the 2.4 km run ? would running on the treadmill be good enough to prepare for it?
2) how high of a score would i need to get on the CFAT
3) how about if i dont pass the CFAT to become a medtech, do i still have another chance to become one, example: maybe doing a re-test.
4) i heard it takes a while to actually become a reserve ? should i go to the nearest recruiting centre NOW, apply as a reserve, and do all the processes?  ... because i plan to do all the training and the tests in the summer after i graduate so it would be right after i graduate highschool and just before i go to university.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE, AND SORRY FOR THE NUMBER OF QUESTIONS!!!

-GQ. :cdn: :)

Questions are fine. A few points:

1) Caps lock is not cruise control for cool. Using all caps in your title or post will not get you more positive attention.
2) Please use a modicum of proper grammar. If you're in grade 11, you know how to capitalize and use punctuation. We expect it of C.F. members, and we expect people asking for our help to make the effort.

On to the substantive points:

You can run 2.4km already. you might hate every second of it, you might be sucking wind worse than you ever have in your life, but it's simply something the human body is capable of. I'm assuming your school has a track- 2.4km is just six laps of that. If you can run it in the necessary time on a treadmill, you're probably fine to do it on a track. The running room has a great discussion site here with a lot fo advice for new runners.

I don't know about the CFAT score for medic. If you fail it the first time, you can always try again later.

It can take some time, but actually I recommend you apply right now- that way, you'll be able to do your BMQ (the first course) on odd weekends during your grade 12 school year. That's how I did mine, and how many others do theirs. This way you'll be through BMQ in time to do your Soldier Qualification and your Med Tech course the summer after you graduate and before beginning university.

Finally, please read this thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17703.0.html and read all the links that apply to you. It will save you time and grief later.

Best of luck in your efforts, drive the body, and welcome to army.ca.

I thank you for your reply, and taking time off your day to do so.

Also, thank you for your tips, and I am very sorry for using improper grammar, I will keep that in mind.

Once again, thank you

Hey everybody,

I did a search for this but found only unconfirmed info about from a few years ago, so here in lies the question.  I just got off the phone with a woman from ACP who informed me that if a pers is QL3 certified reserve medtech they can challenge the EMT-A exam and be certified in the province of AB to practice at that level???? she said all you would need is some kind of form indicating your level of recieved training (Ql3 or up) and a letter from your CO indicating your scope of work and roles within your unit???? if this is in fact true and she didnt misunderstand me to be a reg Medtech than I am very excited about the prospects for the next couple of years!!! can any one confirm or deny before i get my hopes up too high?

Regards,

RTG :cdn:

I have a feeling that the Reg F and Res F Med Tech QL3 courses have huge differences in them.

That was my understanding at first as well Moe, granted my experience is extremely limited but i was told that they split the reg ql3 into 3 pieces for us res folks.  Ql3 one summer then ql4 the next, only then would you be loaded on course to go to Chilliwack for the last pieces(possibly the practical portions???) but once again i suppose my unit would be the best place to get final confirmation.

just thought id throw it into cyberspace and see what came back.

Cheers

I think you'll find that Res QL3 won't cut it - just to make sure, get a copy of the scope of practice and send it her way and see if her tune stays the same.

MM

readytogo said:
Hey everybody,

I did a search for this but found only unconfirmed info about from a few years ago, so here in lies the question.  I just got off the phone with a woman from ACP who informed me that if a pers is QL3 certified reserve medtech they can challenge the EMT-A exam and be certified in the province of AB to practice at that level???? she said all you would need is some kind of form indicating your level of recieved training (Ql3 or up) and a letter from your CO indicating your scope of work and roles within your unit???? if this is in fact true and she didnt misunderstand me to be a reg Medtech than I am very excited about the prospects for the next couple of years!!! can any one confirm or deny before i get my hopes up too high?

Regards,

I assume you have seen these links. They apply to Paramedics registered outside Alberta ( Even if Alberta is your home province ):
http://collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Registration/equivalency.aspx
http://collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Registration/AgreementonInternalTradeMutualRecognitionAgreement.aspx

"While most Canadians can now benefit from full labour mobility, there are a small number of professions for which additional requirements are needed when moving to another province and/or territory. These exceptions have been established as necessary to meet a legitimate objective, such as the protection of public health or safety."

agreed mike i did read those this morning and it tells me that a PCP can register in alberta as a restricted EMT?? so the only query that remains is to wether or not the reserve ql3 will cut it for qualifications??

readytogo said:
agreed mike i did read those this morning and it tells me that a PCP can register in alberta as a restricted EMT??

This shows the competencies required to achieve licensure in Alberta as an EMT-Ambulance, if registered in another province:
http://collegeofparamedics.org/Content_Files/Files/LabourMobilityComparison_EMT.pdf

This is for Alberta EMT-Paramedic:
http://collegeofparamedics.org/Content_Files/Files/LabourMobilityComparison_ACP.pdf

Remember, in Alberta, there are two levels of EMT ( Technician and Technologist ):

Certificate:
Emergency Medical Technician - Ambulance
EMT-A:
http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academic/certificates/aemta.shtml

Diploma:
Emergency Medical Technologist - Paramedic
EMT-P:
http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/whatdoitake/academic/diplomas/aemtp.shtml

"Emergency Services in Alberta":
http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/media/WA_es_factsheet_en.pdf

"Occupations in Demand":
• Emergency Medical Responder
• Emergency Medical Technician - Ambulance
• Emergency Medical Technologist - Paramedic

Hi. I am interested in becoming a reserve med tech on the lower mainland BC. However, I currently possess only a "novice" drivers licence. Is it possible for candidates to be accepted with only an "N"(novice drivers licence)? Please advise.

WYT said:
Is it possible for candidates to be accepted with only an "N"(novice drivers licence)?

Topic: "Would a "Learner's License" cut it for Medical Technician?!" 
See reply #14:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103232/post-1089113.html#msg1089113

To join as a reserves as a medical assistant, having a drivers license is not a prerequisite. And unless you are already trained as a paramedic, you would be a medical assistant, not medical technician.

Thanks to the second person responding. However, searching the net re: "medical assistant" in the CF brought up nothing. Where are these based out of the lower mainland? So far as I know there are only medical lab techs and med techs available for NCMs. Is medical Officer open to applicants who have only an undergrad degree(in the arts) or only for med school grads? Please advise, I have searched the net and found nothing hence I post here.

Back