• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Assistant - Reserve

WYT said:
Thanks to the second person responding. However, searching the net re: "medical assistant" in the CF brought up nothing. Where are these based out of the lower mainland? So far as I know there are only medical lab techs and med techs available for NCMs. Is medical Officer open to applicants who have only an undergrad degree(in the arts) or only for med school grads? Please advise, I have searched the net and found nothing hence I post here.

12 Fd Ambulance is in Vancouver (Jericho Beach IIRC).  To join the Reserves as an MO, you need to be an MD.

MM

Whats this talk about "medical assistant" position? Is this a current position? The forces.ca website doesn't list the occupation?

A Medical Assistant is a Reserve Force Medical Technician who does not have the Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) qualification at the Pte / Cpl / MCpl level.  If you are in the Reserve Force as a Pte / Cpl / MCpl and have the PCP along with RQL3 and RQL4 then you are a Medical Technician.  If you only have the RQL3 and/or RQL4 then you are a Medical Assistant.

MC

A physician assistant is a medical technician, who at the rank of sergeant undertakes a two year (Qualification Level 6B) course. Upon successful completion they are promoted to warrant officer. They then have to complete certification by the Physician Assistant Certification Council of Canada and then they are full fledged physician assistants.  Physician assistants in the Reserve Force are all ex-Regular Force, you cannot do the Regular Force QL6B course at this time as a Res F Med Tech / Med A.

MC

Thanks for the response MEDCORPS. The unit is the one in jericho beach vancouver?

Hey there,

I've been debating about joining the reserves as a Medical Technician.  I currently work full time and also take online classes full time.  My plan is to apply to medical school in a year or so and hopefully transfer to the MOTP program as it seems very appealing to me.  Joining the Medical Technicians will give me a great experience and will undoubtedly help me get into the MOTP program.  The issue is I'm currently supporting myself and my wife (who's also in school).  I would not be able to do so without working my current job.  I spoke to a recruiter; and he mentioned that I can do it at my own pace.  Start off by doing 1 weekday a week and 1 weekend a month.  If I wanted an increase I could go do my training (BMQ, Soldier Training, and Medical Technician Training).  However, I have a few questions:

At what rate do they want you to do this training?  If I wasn't able to do any training for a whole year (due to not being able to take time off work) - would this be an issue? 

Also, how does vacation time work in the reserves?  I've been working for 6 years at my current job and have 4 weeks off a year; if I join the reserves / can I still go on vacation?  Will I be able to take 3 weeks of from reservist work?  Or do I have an obligation there to do it each week?

How does the terms work?  If I worked as a reserve for 8 months and never completed any other training (because my full-time job wouldn't allow it) / would I be able to leave the reserves?  If I complete all the training, am I able to leave any time there after?  (I'm not planning on getting in and getting out / I just want to know what I'm getting into).

Also - my wife (who is also planning on going to med school) is also interested in the program.  If we were to BOTH join the Medical Technician Reserves, would we be able to work on the same week night / weekends? (Might be a question better directed as the local field ambulance office). 

Thank you in advance,
Joey

genuinehappyguy said:
    I've been debating about joining the reserves as a Medical Technician.  I currently work full time and also take online classes full time.  My plan is to apply to medical school in a year or so and hopefully transfer to the MOTP program as it seems very appealing to me.  Joining the Medical Technicians will give me a great experience and will undoubtedly help me get into the MOTP program
No, that's not necessarily so.  It won't be a negative, but the primary factor for acceptance to MOTP (or MMTP which may apply to a reservist) is whether an applicant has already been accepted to and is attending medical school.

. . . . . If I wasn't able to do any training for a whole year (due to not being able to take time off work) - would this be an issue? 
It could be an issue.  While there is considerable leeway in the reserves with respect to individuals pursuing education and career, there is an expectation that newly enrolled soldiers attempt to complete all the necessary training at the first available opportunity.  The way most reserve training is scheduled results in it taking approximately one "school year" and the following summer period to be qualified to the first occupational level.  If soldiers are unable to attend scheduled "parades" (parades are regularly scheduled work periods, usually one evening a week - not ceremonial marching around), they can request to be "excused duty and training" (ED&T) so that no administrative repercussions are applied for not showing up for duty.  If one made it a habit to not show up and was not excused, they could be compulsorily released.

. . . . .  how does vacation time work in the reserves? . . . . .
Reserve units generally "parade" from September to May (roughly following the school year).  During the summer period, there are opportunities to attend courses (of varying lengths) or for full-time employment.  Most occupation qualifying courses for reservists are run during the summer, so if an individual needed to complete a specific course in order to be trade qualified (and thus useful) there is an expectation that he would attend.  Other than that, what you do is your own business.

How does the terms work? . . . . .  would I be able to leave the reserves? 
Reserve military service does not incur any obligatory service, it is purely voluntary.  You can request release at any time.  Okay, for the purists, if one was in the reserves and the Governor-in-Council placed them on active service, a reservist could face mandatory service, but the last time that happened we were fighting the Nazis

Also - my wife (who is also planning on going to med school) is also interested in the program.  If we were to BOTH join the Medical Technician Reserves, would we be able to work on the same week night / weekends? (Might be a question better directed as the local field ambulance office).
If you were both in the same reserve unit, you would most likely be doing the same thing, at the same place, at the same time, just like every other junior Med Tech in that same unit.

Thanks for the reply Blackadder1916,  it was very informative. 

No, that's not necessarily so.  It won't be a negative, but the primary factor for acceptance to MOTP (or MMTP which may apply to a reservist) is whether an applicant has already been accepted to and is attending medical school.

To clarify I realize that being a medical technician will not ensure I will be accepted to a medical school; however I believe I am a strong enough candidate to get in after this year.  Perhaps I confused MOTP with MMTP; but I'm hoping that joining as a medical technician would help me complete my medical school and residency (as I want to be a GP regardless) with the Canadian Forces.

It could be an issue.  While there is considerable leeway in the reserves with respect to individuals pursuing education and career, there is an expectation that newly enrolled soldiers attempt to complete all the necessary training at the first available opportunity
As someone who works full-time and goes to school, the first available opportunity seems to be non-existent.  Seeing how the training for medical technician is 16 weeks in Borden, Ontario - I'm guessing the Reservists with the Canadian Forces are more geared towards students than full-time workers hoping to gain experience with the CF.

Thanks again for your response,
Joey

genuinehappyguy said:
I'm guessing the Reservists with the Canadian Forces are more geared towards students than full-time workers hoping to gain experience with the CF.

Yes there are a large amount of students in the Reserves,  but also a large majority of Reservists are not students and do have full time employment with various companies,  and public service.  They have managed to make being a Reservist and full time employed work for them,  and not just for Reserve training but being able to take a year + off their civilian employment in order to go overseas.

genuinehappyguy said:
  To clarify I realize that being a medical technician will not ensure I will be accepted to a medical school; however I believe I am a strong enough candidate to get in after this year.  Perhaps I confused MOTP with MMTP; but I'm hoping that joining as a medical technician would help me complete my medical school and residency (as I want to be a GP regardless) with the Canadian Forces.
As someone who works full-time and goes to school, the first available opportunity seems to be non-existent.  Seeing how the training for medical technician is 16 weeks in Borden, Ontario - I'm guessing the Reservists with the Canadian Forces are more geared towards students than full-time workers hoping to gain experience with the CF.

How?  Okay, maybe I'm more easily confused as I get older but, do you understand what (non-PCP qualified) reserve Med Techs (or have they reverted back to the title Med A?) are trained to do, and what your status (rank/occupation/component) would be once in MOTP/MMTP?  If you would not be able to complete any occupation training prior to entering med school (you seem to be discussing both happening in the same time frame), what benefit would being a Med Tech (or Med A) bring to your goal of medical school that can't be found in another activity that is more amenable to your work/school schedule?

I can't speak to the length/location/content of current reserve medical courses as I am retired from the CF.  Also, my opinion should not be taken as to how current regulations are interpreted or applied, but (as a former CO of a reserve medical unit) if one of my soldiers was in the same situation as you present, he would be required to provide an indication as to when he could complete his training.  If he was not able to complete his training within a "reasonable" time frame, it would be suggested that he request voluntary release (or if the individual was not yet enrolled, then he would not be enrolled).  If the individual continued to avoid the required parading/training beyond the "reasonable" stage (and didn't heed the suggestion to VR), I would have no hesitation in recommending a compulsory release. Such a release would have the effect of cancelling any chance of MOTP/MMTP.

I am not deliberately trying to sound like a curmudgeon (though some who know me may disagree) as I laud you goal of becoming a physician and an MO in the CF.  However, you seem to have much on your plate and on that basis I question your plan to become a Med Tech since it appears that the only reason for doing so is to sweeten your application to med school or MOTP.  If you aren't able to do it properly, then don't do it at all.  Though many individuals may have motives in joining the CF beyond the desire to become a soldier with a specific occupation, those occupations are there to fulfill the needs of the CF not the wishes of people wanting to join.  There are Med Techs in the CF because Med Techs (reg or res) are needed to do specific tasks, the occupation is not designed as a stepping stone to something else.  I've known (and have counted among friends) a number of MOs who were reservists before going to med school under the MOTP (including at least one who rose to be Surg Gen) and I don't recall any who had been medical in the reserves.  I have known a couple of reserve Med As who (even though "they" thought they were God's gift to medicine) were disappointed by multiple rejections of their med school applications.  The point I'm trying to make is that it is not necessary to be a reserve Med Tech to get accepted for MOTP and unless you are able to provide credible reserve service, it could be counter-productive

Genuinehappyguy, I'm not sure you're understanding the occupations...

Civilian Occupation = Military Occupation

Paramedic = Medical Technician (Non-Commissioned)
Doctor (med school, residency) = Medical Officer (Commissioned)
Nurse = Nursing Officer (Commissioned)
Dental Hygienist = Dental Tech (Non-Commissioned)
Dentist = Dental Officer (Commissioned)

etc.

If you're going into medical school and residency, sign on to the Medical Officer Training Plan as only MEDICAL OFFICERS hold occupation as doctors, medical techs are CF branded paramedics.

http://forces.ca/en/job/medicalofficer-50#info-1

All candidates must provide an acceptance letter from an accredited Canadian Medical university, or if you are a current medical student or a resident in a family medicine program, you are eligible for the Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP), which offers the following benefits:

• Full reimbursement of tuition fees and educational expenses, including books, instruments and supplies, student union fees and registration costs
    An annual salary ranging from $44K to $54K, with generous benefits.
  • Participation in the Canadian Forces pension plan
  • 20 working days of vacation time per year, increasing to 25 working days in the fifth year of service
  • Free medical and dental care
  • Maternity and parental leave in accordance with government-wide provisions
  • MOTP candidates receive full pay and allowances throughout residency

Upon completing a few years as an experienced Medical Officer, you would then be eligible for further training in public health, occupational medicine, aerospace or tropical medicine, epidemiology or health care administration at any of the accredited Medical school throughout Canada. On successful completion of your residency in family medicine, you will be required to serve for four years in the Canadian Forces as a Medical Officer.

versus:

http://forces.ca/en/job/medicaltechnician-70#info-1

Medical Technicians belong to the Canadian Forces Medical Service, and are integral members of the military health-care team. They work with Physicians, Physician Assistants and Nurses to treat the sick and injured in all kinds of Canadian Forces operations and units.

A Medical Technician has the following primary duties:

• Provide initial care for ill / injured patients;
  • In trauma cases, provide basic life support treatments;
  • Prescribe some medications in accordance with their scope of practice
  • Provide medical support during environmental operations
  • Recover casualties from the point of injury and transport them to a medical facility by wheeled or tracked ambulance, or by air
  • Participate in rescues from crashed vehicles, tanks, ships, aircraft and damaged buildings
  • Give basic advice on disease prevention, hygiene and sanitation, perform specific environmental health and preventive medicine duties
  • Collect specimens and perform basic laboratory procedures
  • Operate and maintain medical and life-support equipment
  • Perform electrocardiograms (ECGs) and audiograms (hearing tests)
  • Initiate, maintain and distribute medical records, documents, reports and returns; and
  • Maintain, replenish and account for general and medical supplies

After completing BMQ or SQ, Medical Technicians go on to Basic Military Occupational (MOC) Training. The first portion of this course takes 16 weeks and is given at the Canadian Forces Medical Service School (CFMSS) in CFB Borden, Ontario. It covers the following material:

• Delivering health care in the field
  • Nursing medical and surgical patients in field conditions
  • Use of therapeutic drugs
  • Preventive medicine and
  • Medical documentation

The second portion of the Medical Technicians’ Basic MOC Training is given at the Paramedic Academy of the Justice Institute of British Columbia in Chilliwack (for Anglophone candidates), and at Ahuntsic College in Montréal, Quebec (for Francophone candidates). These courses are tailored to military requirements while meeting performance standards set by the Paramedic Association of Canada and approved by the Canadian Medical Association.

On completion of this stage of training, Medical Technicians receive the professional credential of Primary Care Paramedic Level I.

In short,

Medical Tech = is not physician occupation, will not pay med school, obligated service 4 years
Medical Officer = paid med school, obligated service approx. 8 years: 4 during school, 4 after residency.

Read the Forces.ca pages.

If you want to be a doctor, join as a doctor. Occupational Transfers can be long and painful processes.

Thanks for all the replies; they are very informative!

To Clarify - I realize that Medical Technician is not the same as Medical Officer (and I know they equate to Paramedic vs Physician).  I spoke to a recruiter a while back who said if you wanted to do the MOTP program (once you get into med school) you have a better chance of getting in if you've done some work with the CF before.  However, I'm in no position to give up either my employment (since I could not find anything near the compensation I am getting with my current employment in the CF (with my current qualifications) and I need to support two people) and I have to finish another year of school.  I liked the idea of joining the CF while being able to learn about medical training on a part time basis (1 night a week / 1 weekend a month).  This would both show a commitment to the CF (unfortunately only as much as I'm able to give at the moment) and would also give me medical experience which would in turn also help me be a more successful candidate to a medical school.

However, I in no way want to make it seem like I'm taking advantage of the medical technician program - especially if like you've mentioned that a release would be requested on my behalf.  Perhaps it's just best I want another 1.5 years (when I'll know if I get into a medical school) and apply for the MOTP... however I wish there was a way I could volunteer my time with the CF Medical Group part time during those 1.5 years.  Unfortunately it seems that unless I either leave my school or my supporting employment it isn't possible.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Joey

Hi,

I had few questions that I tought you guys could answer. First of all, I've been an infantry reservist for 5 years now and I've just transfered to Med Tech (reserve) at the 51e Field Ambulance in Montréal and I was wondering how long is the trade course in Borden?

Also, I've been accepted in Pharm. D. at Université de Montréal and I begin in August. Now, my question is : let's say I transfer again but this time as an Army Reserve pharmacist once I'm finished school is it possible (if you want to) to be deployed? Then if so, has anyone had experience toward working with reserve pharmacist while on tour? how is it? how do the Res pharmacist manage to have a civilian career and get deployed? I heard that there is something in the law that makes it impossible for an employer to fire you if it is for military duty. I know quite a few guys in Infantry reserve that have deployed but they didn't really had a career or an important job, most of them were students. So I want to know how hard is it to keep that career and get deployed?

You could say: You should join Reg force if you want to have a tour. But the fact is that what I've found on the day to day routine of a pharmacist while on base didn't really interest me. My goal at the moment would be to work in a ER as a Emerg Pharmacist to do something that I really enjoy and it would also keep my skills up to date for any deployment if I were to be posted in a ER on a tour.

Sorry if my english isn't top notch as you must have guessed it's not my first language  ::) 

sidereus said:
Sorry if my english isn't top notch as you must have guessed it's not my first language  ::)

Yours is better than some on here whose first language is English.  :nod:

sidereus said:
how do the Res pharmacist manage to have a civilian career and get deployed? I heard that there is something in the law that makes it impossible for an employer to fire you if it is for military duty. I know quite a few guys in Infantry reserve that have deployed but they didn't really had a career or an important job, most of them were students. So I want to know how hard is it to keep that career and get deployed?

You may find this discussion helpful.

Reservists Job Protection Superthread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/2552.0/nowap.html

Also, some employers have a Military Leave policy.

I have to ask this, since I've worked in a few ER's before...and still do work in one.  I've never seen a clinical pharmacy position in an Emergency Dept - what do you hope to do there?  Not trying to be sarcastic incidentally - I've seen them on trauma team rounds in the unit/ICU, seen them with the Chemo units and they do quarterly med rounds in my PCH.

Just curious.

MM

mariomike said:
You may find this discussion helpful.

Reservists Job Protection Superthread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/2552.0/nowap.html

Also, some employers have a Military Leave policy.

Thank you, it will be useful.

medicineman said:
I have to ask this, since I've worked in a few ER's before...and still do work in one.  I've never seen a clinical pharmacy position in an Emergency Dept - what do you hope to do there?  Not trying to be sarcastic incidentally - I've seen them on trauma team rounds in the unit/ICU, seen them with the Chemo units and they do quarterly med rounds in my PCH.

Just curious.

MM

I must admit I'm new to all this. Maybe when I begin to really see what it is all about I won't like it and change my mind, but at the moment what I've read looked challenging and interesting. Therapeutic drug monitoring, Resuscitation protocols, Pharmaceutical treatment advice, at this while under pressure. To me, this kind of job look more rewarding and challenging then dispensing pills at your local Shoppers.

I've read few articles on pubmed like : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20372006 and http://jpp.sagepub.com/content/24/2/146.abstract

but like I said I'm new and beginning in august so I don't much about what it really looks like. I can just say that patient care is really what I'm looking for and also a little bit action (I'm in the CF after all  :) )

Interesting...there's definitely a role for the supply management and pharm/tox advice side of things in field, distaster and emergency medicine, though I think it'll be awhile before you see pharmacists running resucitations in Canadian ER's.  Run with it and see what happens.

MM

Back