• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Rejection: How to Appeal? [Merged]

I am not looking for an answer that will please me, I was just looking for someone who would know for sure about the way they review your file. Because I had been told by someone in the military that if you are a very good candidate, they might be more lenient on certain type of medical conditions, and I was wanting to verify if there was any truth to that.

Kaya1981 said:
Because I had been told by someone in the military that if you are a very good candidate, they might be more lenient on certain type of medical conditions, and I was wanting to verify if there was any truth to that.

Then here's your veirification. Your medical file is reviewed in isolation of all other factors.

The CF will not overlook or minimize medical conditions based on the remainder of your recruiting file. Who ever told you that they would doesn't know what they're talking about.

No, the CF will NOT consider you for a trade that has specific medical requirements that you do not meet. IE, V4 vision, if the trade requires that then that is what your vision standard must be. Nothing else comes into play for your medical except your medical. No exceptions.

Hello all,

Any knowledge about this matter will be greatly appreciated.

He is the story, I applied to the military as a medical tech. I have a background in paramedicine. Did all my testing and as far as I know passed all including my background checks except my medical. I'm in shape, I excercise and currently work in patient transfer. The problem is, for a period of about 2 months I had very poor diet and had a high sodium intake. I ended up getting a kidney stone. I toughed it out for 4 hours and then caved and went to the hospital and passed it with minimal effort after some morphine, diuretics and prostate enlargers. I was up front and honest about it during my medical. I got a rejection notice citing renal colic . I knew it was a dietary issue because I have never have issues in the past with my kidneys and nothing since. This was 5 months ago.

So my question is does anyone have any advice on what I should do besides get blood work and urinalyses done to clear me of any future risk? Any advice on what I should say?

klac said:
Did all my testing and as far as I know passed all including my background checks except my medical.

This may help,

Challenging a medical decision/Requesting second review 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/37404.25

Failed to meet Medical Standards.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/110159.0
"As I said, all you can do is appeal.  We can't (and won't) answer medical questions here."

There are several more discussions about appealing Enrolment Medical decisions.

As always, best to contact Recruiting if you wish to appeal.

Good luck!

( This discussion may belong in Recruiting. )

Thank you so much. I was very crushed by the rejection. I am however determined. I am hopeful that the decision will be made to accept my appeal.

I'm not sure that anyone can "clear" you of "future risk" of renal colic.  They might be able to say no immediate risk, but that doesn't mean that a stone will never form at some time down the road.

I had a kidney stone last October and am "clear" so far, but it doesn't mean it can't happen again.

Just be prepared for bad news if it comes.

And yes, I am presently on a T-Cat, waiting on a decision from D Med Pol.

really? a stone?  know/knew numerous members including myself that had stones, was treated, passed it and carried on with no repurcussions.  First I ever heard of it being an issue for a one time stone.  Doc told me to drink lots of water and go back to work.  Times sure have changed.

CountDC said:
really? a stone?  know/knew numerous members including myself that had stones, was treated, passed it and carried on with no repurcussions.  First I ever heard of it being an issue for a one time stone.  Doc told me to drink lots of water and go back to work.  Times sure have changed.

I was expecting "Cepocol", but that will do.  ;D

CountDC said:

Yes, they have.  :nod:

CountDC said:

Changes with the wind - last time I was in Recruiting, you'd have to make it through a 5 year window stone free prior to enrollment if you'd had an episode of renal colic.  When I was still in, same thing, depending on stone type - 3-5 year window and if you got another, PCat.  If you have a metabolic disorder that predisposes you to frequent stones, don't count on sticking around - out in the real world I see people with lots of gravel in their kidneys, resulting in lots of time off due to pain/vomiting and such.  You can't be put in situations that will potentially dehydrate you (pretty much anything most of us do in the CAF), hence the reason.  That, and if you're in the middle of Ungabungaland with no surgical facilities and you end up with an obstructive stone, well you're run of the mill QL5 Med Tech isn't going to be able to shove something up your peepeehole and try to knock it loose...I can't even do that (though there are a few people I wouldn't mind trying it on).  That's why it's a frequently revisited issue.

MM 

medicineman said:
You can't be put in situations that will potentially dehydrate you (pretty much anything most of us do in the CAF), hence the reason.  That, and if you're in the middle of Ungabungaland with no surgical facilities and you end up with an obstructive stone, well you're run of the mill QL5 Med Tech isn't going to be able to shove something up your peepeehole and try to knock it loose...I can't even do that (though there are a few people I wouldn't mind trying it on).  That's why it's a frequently revisited issue.

MM

This.  :nod:

I received my medical rejection letter the other day explaining to me that my prescription lenses were too strong and I did not meet the medical standards because of it.  I emailed the recruiting office explaining to them that I would like to pursue laser eye surgery, but today they sent me an email telling me that my application had been closed because of the medical.

Is that it?  Do I have to start my application all over again?  Couldn't they have put my application on hold while I go get laser eye surgery? Is there no way my application can be reopened?

Just out of curiosity (I cannot provide you with any concrete answers, but I would like a few more details...) which trades did you apply for? And do you know what your actual prescription for corrective lenses are? Are there any other factors not in your favour (i.e. myopic astigmatism, cataracts...)

FYI - LASIK or refractive corrective surgery isn't an answer in any case...

I applied for ACISS, my prescription was over -7.00.  Why wouldn't laser eye surgery be a solution?

TJC said:
I received my medical rejection letter the other day explaining to me that my prescription lenses were too strong and I did not meet the medical standards because of it.  I emailed the recruiting office explaining to them that I would like to pursue laser eye surgery, but today they sent me an email telling me that my application had been closed because of the medical.

Is that it?  Do I have to start my application all over again?  Couldn't they have put my application on hold while I go get laser eye surgery? Is there no way my application can be reopened?

Don't get bent out of shape over your file being CLOSED.  It's not the end of the world.  If you wish to pursue laser eye surgery, with the hopes of improving your eyesight to a level that will allow you to meet CEMS (Enrolment Med Standards), then that is your choice.  You need only advise the medical section of your CFRC that you will be doing this and be sure to ask two question, "What are the laser eye surgery procedures acceptable for applicants who wish to enrol in the CF?"  and "After the eye surgery is done, how long must I wait before I can re-open my application?"  It's as simple as that! 

Chances are, the waiting time will be as short as 3 months but could be as long as 6 months.  After that time has elapsed, you only need to contact your CFRC and say "I would like to re-open my previous application."  As long as it has not been closed for more than 12 months, there is no need to re-apply online!

Thank you DAA!  :D  That is the advise I was seeking. :)  I'm still waiting for a reply back to my email, but I think i'm going to give Recruiting a call.

TJC said:
Thank you DAA!  :D  That is the advise I was seeking. :)  I'm still waiting for a reply back to my email, but I think i'm going to give Recruiting a call.

FYI:

From: CF H Svcs Gp Instruction 4020-01 - Laser Eye Surgery

Preferred Procedures
9.Photo Refractive Keratectomy (PRK) and Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (LASEK) are the two laser procedures currently recommended by the CF. Laser-Assisted in-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) even though not encouraged, is acceptable.

Restricted Procedures
10.Due to the lack of predictability or lack of structural maintenance of the eye, RK (Radial Keratotomy) INTACS (Stromal Rings), Phakic Implants, Phakic IOL and Orthokeratology are not permitted. These procedures are considered incompatible with the safe performance of military duties.

Lumber said:
FYI:

From: CF H Svcs Gp Instruction 4020-01 - Laser Eye Surgery

Preferred Procedures
9.Photo Refractive Keratectomy (PRK) and Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (LASEK) are the two laser procedures currently recommended by the CF. Laser-Assisted in-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) even though not encouraged, is acceptable.

Restricted Procedures
10.Due to the lack of predictability or lack of structural maintenance of the eye, RK (Radial Keratotomy) INTACS (Stromal Rings), Phakic Implants, Phakic IOL and Orthokeratology are not permitted. These procedures are considered incompatible with the safe performance of military duties.

I was rather hesitant on posting this info but only because of the date on that order.    :-\

Adding to this:

Enrolment Candidates
11.Candidates for enrolment who have received laser eye surgery must report so during the enrolment medical process. A final report from the Ophthalmic Surgeon or consultant optometrist must be made available as evidence of the candidates fitness and that no further follow-up is required. Restrictions for the procedures detailed above also apply to candidates for enrolment. Candidates treated for Ortho-K will be disqualified until the practice has been stopped for a period of six months. A letter from the caregiver is also required to confirm this period.

Back